Flashpoint

Yonkers 4th Alarm

4 posts in this topic

Yonkers currently working a 4th alarm at Nepperhan and Lake St, at the old carpet mill.

YONKERS - A fire is tearing through the historic former Alexander Smith carpet factory at the corner of Nepperhan and Lake avenues in Yonkers this morning.
Mayor Mike Spano said the fire was reported around 4 a.m. and is a general alarm, meaning every firefighter on duty in the city at the time is at the scene.
Spano said the building is now home to the YOHO artists community, mainly for artists' lofts and other businesses. He said he does not believe anyone resides in the building.
The carpet mill buildings date to the late 19th century and produced carpeting until 1954.

VIDEO from the Yonkers Voice:

JOB114, vodoly, Billy and 1 other like this

Anyone has a rundown on this? I would think Yonkers could fill a 4th alarm staff with their on-duty crew, but that would strip the city (as the quote says).  But any rundown on the coverage units?

vodoly and EmsFirePolice like this

I found the unofficial rundown. They struck alarms quickly:

04:00 2nd Alarm on Arrival

04:05 3rd Alarm

04:26 4th Alarm

09:13 Under Control

1st:

E312, 309, 310, 306

L75, 72, 71 (Fast)

B2, 1

R1

Squad 11

MSU

Car 6 (fire invest)

2nd:

E308, 307

L70

3rd:

E314

L73

Car 3 (Asst Chief)

4th:

E303, 304, 313

L74

Relocations:

New Rochelle E22, L12 to Yonkers Sta 12

Greenville E150 to Yonkers Sta 11

***The news report said all on-duty members responded and the math works out. However, I assume Yonkers had some type of callback to cover reserve apparatus for coverage. If not, they only had 2 & 1 covering the city which is highly unlikely***

Edited by LayTheLine
fdalumnus, vodoly and EmsFirePolice like this

Heard there was a problem with there tone notification system going down.

There was a delay in getting  some equipment on the road. Some firehouses had to be notified by landline to respond.