FF402

Five Firefighters Injured Battling Blaze In White Plains

4 posts in this topic

White Plains Firefighters responded to a structure fire this morning just before 4am at 9 Milford Dr. for a report of a basement fire. Five firefighters were injured and transported to the hospital, including one with burns and other injuries after falling through the basement stairs directly into the fire. His boot was caught on the top step and prevented him from falling completely in, thankfully.

None of the injuries are life threatening and we are wishing all our injured brothers a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately, Ladder 34, which protects the South side of White Plains, was once again out of service due to staffing shortages.

BIGRED1 likes this

With a residential fire it is often better to control the door and give it a quick dash thru a side window or enter thru a bilco style door if available. The under side of these stairs are often totally exposed to fire and can collapse with or without the weight of a fire fighter or firefighters.. 

We were always taught to get down the cellar stairs as quickly as possible to get out of the flow path, but perhaps taming the tiger a little bit and going down in a safer mode, for final extinguishment might be a saner approach.

Commercial cellars you often do not have simple options, who remembers Bresnan distributors, Hart and Baker cellar pipes ? God I love the classics

Seriously, I hope the WPFD guys are OK and mend quickly.

vodoly likes this

Not withstanding our wishes for the speedy and complete recovery of the injured firefighters, I don't think this thread is about the hazards and suppression methods for a basement fire.

Its about staffing. One of these days Westchester is going to experience the unfortunate outcome that comes from the inability of the volunteer and paid depts to maintain proper staffing. It will be a sad day for all involved, but we will be able to look back at the hundreds of posts on forums such as this one and wonder why something so recognizable went unsolved. It will provide no comfort.

BIGRED1 and DR104 like this

Prayers for a speedy recovery to the injured WP brothers....

Sounds like they made an aggressive interior attack and conditions got s**tty. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, they are far understaffed. Knowing that, these men still went all in and gave it their all. This is what they're trained to do and they do so for the residents and visitors of WP. 

Hopefully, the powers that be will see this as a wake up call. Now is the time to properly staff your FD! 

Again, hope for the best for the injured members.

vodoly and DR104 like this