Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Required Markings?

18 posts in this topic

I think this has been touched on but I couldn't find the old topic...

This question is specific to New York State and/or Westchester County.

Are there required reflective markings for fire apparatus?

I am particularly wondering about markings on the rear of units that respond on the Interstate system.

Google did not help in locating an "official" document on this topic...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Edited by 242steve

I know all new apparatus must meet nfpa approval and they do have a certain ammount of square inches of reflectivity required, they also put down the ammount of lights that now go on to each section of a fire apparatus. As to what is required now I have no clue.

Try a search for "NFPA 1901", doubt you will find the answer online because NFPA wants you to buy this reference standard and it is copywrited.

National Transportation guidelines come into play when operating on the Interstates(I-95)(I-287).This is especially true when on scene for 45 min or longer.

Fairview FD (twn of Greenburgh) striped the rigs with the Highway stripes just for this reason.Photos can be seen on EMTBravo.

http://www.emtbravo.lunarpages.com/FairviewChevron.html

Thank you! Those pics are very helpful

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe reflective striping along all painted surfaces on the rear of appartus becoming the accepted standard and is set to become required in the near future.

I believe the requirment for stripping on rigs is it has to be atleast a 3 inch thick reflective stripe on both sides of the apparatus. I am really not sure about the rear of the rig, Personally I am a fan of Highway stripping.

I believe the new R-47 will have highwy stripping on the rear of our new rig

The aforementioned "highway striping" is called a Chevron. Also below are the NFPA guidelines for emergency vehicles.

Emergency Response Vehicles: (Per NFPA 1901)

Reflective striping is required around all four sides of the vehicle. The stripe or combination of stripes must be at least 4 inches high and cover at least 50 % of the cab and body length on each side, 50% of the rear width and 25% of the front width.

A reflective graphic design, such as a door shield or lettering may replace a part of the required length or width.

Vertical Panels:

Apparatus Chevron Striping can be used to warn and direct traffic away for a highway incident. All vehicles that are utilized in this manner shall comply with MUTCD Section 6F.57. (Bill What's this? bb)

The chevron patter shall slant downward on both sides of the vehicle at an angle of 45 degrees, pointing in the direction of the bottom rear corner of the tailboard. The patter should resemble an inverted V with the point at the top center of the apparatus.

The following alternating color patterns may be used:

red and yellow

orange and white

red and white

blue and yellow

blue and white

Vertical panels must:

be 8 to 12 inches wide and at least 24 inches in height

have alternating colors, retro-reflective stripes at least 4 inches in width. If the panel height is greater than 36 inches the stripes must be 6 inches wide

must be sloped down at 45 degrees and have a minimum of 270 square inches of retro-reflective area facing traffic

In PC the rear of our utility 65 was painted with this pattern as it has been used now on most if not all highway emergencies.

Side question how many departments are sending blockers onto the interstate now? When a say blocker I mean a large appartuas not a small utility truck

Side question how many departments are sending blockers onto the interstate now?  When a say blocker I mean a large appartuas not a small utility truck

Yorktown sends Rescue 16, which is a med-large rescue (heavier then you would belive) to car accidents 1st due, engine 273 2nd due from sta 1 and Engine 270 2nd due from station 2 or 1st due if Rescue 16 is unavalible.

not sure what you mean by blocker tho?

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Side question how many departments are sending blockers onto the interstate now?  When a say blocker I mean a large appartuas not a small utility truck

My district covers both I-84 and the TSP, including where they meet. We are slowly getting into the mode of using blockers, but in the past we have had a second engine come in, or used our rescue as a blocker, if and when their services are not needed directly at the incident. Like I said, we are not all the way there yet, but its becoming more and more obvious, and a necessity!

Yorktown sends Rescue 16, which is a med-large rescue (heavier then you would belive) to car accidents 1st due, engine 273 2nd due from sta 1 and Engine 270 2nd due from station 2 or 1st due if Rescue 16 is unavalible.

not sure what you mean by blocker tho?

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the term "blocker" refers to an apparatus used to "block" the scene to protect personnel from being struck by passing vehicles.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the term "blocker" refers to an apparatus used to "block" the scene to protect personnel from being struck by passing vehicles.

Thats what I meant maybe there is a PC term for it

MUTCD - Manual of Uniform Traffic Contol Devices. Those rules are meant for highway construction vehicles....not fire apparatus.

The MUTCD is the overall document to provide standardization of traffic control devices throughout the United States. This covers everything from street signs to traffic lights and pavement markings to "temporary traffic control" devices (i.e. traffic cones, signs, etc.) . It does not specifically cover fire apparatus, but it does cover our temporary operation on the nations roadways. The section on Control of Traffic Through Traffic Incident Areas covers our operations during temporary full or partial road closures. Part 6 of this document covers all aspects of "temporary traffic control".

Blocking is stressed in the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course. A good web source for highway safety is ResponderSafety.com

MUTCD - Manual of Uniform Traffic Contol Devices.  Those rules are meant for highway construction vehicles....not fire apparatus.

Any time you alter normal traffic patters on a highway it becomes a work zone. Highway doesn't mean an interstate either. It means any road, from I-684 to the least traveled road in your response district.

This means signs are required as are cones.

What Chris stated is exactly what a blocker is. A piece of apparatus dedicated to shield the incident. It acts a buffer between the traffic and responders. It wouldn't serve it's purpose if you kept getting equipment out of it throughout the incident.

Light duty vehicles are not recommended for this purpose. If someone crashes in to a chief's car or mini/utility vehicle, you now have two objects coming at you. Ideally the blocking vehicle would be an engine or ladder that would absorb the impact of another vehicle.