NWALS - 45M1

YHFD - 2531, E270

WCDES - Battalion 16

Bedford PD

Relocates:

To BHFD - Katonah E117

To Katonah - Somers Engine #?

Other requests made: C&O Zone 5, Con Ed Electric

At 08:38 - 2031 reports all visible fire knocked down, companies checking for extension.

At 08:44 - 2031 releasing units as they become available, Tankers 1 & 7 as well as the YHFD FAST are 10-8 / 10-2.

Edited by 1075thebox

FYI --

Fire in the basement of a 70x30, two-story wood frame structure, with extension to the first and second floors.

45M1, 4513 On scene, EMS command.

No extension to the 1st or 2nd floors... Compaines did a great job !! C-2031

Batt. 16 transmitted extension to the first and second floors. It has now been reported that there was smoke ONLY on floors one and two...no flame.

Good work!

Edited by EMSCOMM80

Sounds like fire was held to one room... Excellent job BH

I believe I heard on the radio while there that it originated in the area of water heater....

Batt. 16 transmitted extension to the first and second floors.  It has now been reported that there was smoke ONLY on floors one and two...no flame.

What is the responsibilities of the Batt cars? Do they have authority over the chief, equal status or just there to help?

What is the responsibilities of the Batt cars?  Do they have authority over the chief, equal status or just there to help?

They are suposed to be the MA chief from what i have been told.

What is the responsibilities of the Batt cars?  Do they have authority over the chief, equal status or just there to help?

They do not have authority over the chief (or IC). They are a liason between the IC and 60 Control.

Some of the pictures have been posted with a story. Great job done by all on scene today, especially the first due engine crew you have a tough job. But you did it well.

Check out the pictures HERE www.bedfordhillsfd.org

Edited by Cutty630

They do not have authority over the chief (or IC).  They are a liason between the IC and 60 Control.

serious question, not to be taken in a bad way: How come chiefs still contact 60 control when the batallion chief is on location? Ive heard at some fire scenes batt chief on the scene and Dept chiefs still contacting 60-control

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Good question. Some one please start a new topic on what is the job of Batt chief? Do they have the ability to assume command of a scene? Give updates to 60 control? Call for mutial aid that was not requested by the local chief? anyone with any answers let me know cause I think this has been a grey area and the county needs to step up to the plate and clear up the confusion.

Good question. Some one please start a new topic on what is the job of Batt chief? Do they have the ability to assume command of a scene? Give updates to 60 control? Call for mutial aid that was not requested by the local chief? anyone with any answers let me know cause I think this has been a grey area and the county needs to step up to the plate and  clear up the confusion.

There have been numerous threads on this topic in the past. First and foremost, the battalion chief, as the title seems to be assumed, is not the proper title. The proper title is battalion mutual aid coordinator.

They do not have the ability to assume command.

They can give updates to 60 Control.

They can not call for mutual aid not otherwise requested. If the IC requests a mutual aid engine and ladder to respond to the alarm, it is up to the battalion mutual aid coordinator to get the resources.

Here's one of the previous threads on the topic:

Function of Westchester Battalion Chiefs?

Thanks Truck6018, that did shed a little light on the subject. So the next question is when a Batt. chief over steps his role (which I have seen and heard of many times) whose job is it to tell them to stay off the radio, don't give wrong and misinformed updates to 60. and last but not least dispatching your own department to the scene when the IC has not requested it. Just like with members of a dept. a system must be set up in order to keep the Batt. chiefs from taking control of the westchester county fire service. At the end of the day we need more indians, NOT CHIEFS

At the end of the day we need more indians, NOT CHIEFS

A Battalion Coordinator is not a chief and should not be confused with one. They are simply there to assist the chief with mutual aid, obtaining additional resources and if necesary relaying informataion to 60 Control. They do not make any firegound related decisions.

So what happens when they start making fire ground decisions? which some of them are currently doing. who puts a stop to it?

I would assume that these issues should be brought directly to the attention of the Commissioner (Car 1) or Deputy Commissioner (Car 2) of emergency services.

Does anyone have a current listing of the departments assigned to each Battalion?

Another question…

I heard a chief on scene advise he had a 2nd alarm. Is there a pre-set assignment for a second alarm response in that area?

I heard a chief on scene advise he had a 2nd alarm.  Is there a pre-set assignment for a second alarm response in that area?

There is a predetermined response list for specific areas in Bedford Hills. There should be a list on their website:

Alarm Assignment Map

Do all the departments have a pre-planned alarm set up, or is this just a Bedford Hills thing? Locally, I have not heard many chiefs calling for a 2nd alarm…they seem to just specify what departments they want and where.

BTW Bedford Hills FD’s web page is outstanding!

:rolleyes:

Pleasantville, Chappaqua and Thornwood also have also have pre determined mutual aide alarm assignments

EMSCOMM80 - to answer your question about the 2nd Alarm, Yes! BHFD, and an ever-growing number of Westchester Departments, have setup response plans for 10-75, 2nd alarm and in some cases 3rd alarm fire conditions.

As a matter of fact, the FD you recently joined has 10-75 & 2nd alarm policies too.

Everyone should do this, because you never know who your IC may be....

http://www.bedfordhillsfd.org/content/map/

This is the link that shows you Bedford Hills 1st - 4th alarms, it is very well laid out. So when they call a second alarm, everyone knows whats going on. All that information is also in the CAD system at 60

Remember585 --

How would I go about viewing my department's 2nd and third alarm policy? Im just curious.

Bedford Hills has an outstanding website. Is it professionally done? or does one of you members take care of it?

Bedford Hills has an outstanding website. Is it professionally done? or does one of you members take care of it?

its a little internet co. called firehouse solutions. They do a great layout. all we do is update stories which is really easy and update pictures. there also is a memebers area that they set up with a training calender a "form". This is the same co. that does mohegan FD website. They will also be dong BVFD and IFD... or so the site says.

Firehouse solutions home page

Edited by Firefighter57

"Battalion Coordinator is not a chief and should not be confused with one. They are simply there to assist the chief with mutual aid, obtaining additional resources and if necesary relaying informataion to 60 Control. They do not make any firegound related decisions."

Certain Battalion COORDINATORS need to be reminded of the above statement, and remember their place in the system.

Is there a written policy that dictates the roles and responsibilities of a Battalion Coordinator? I have never seen anything formal.

"Battalion Coordinator is not a chief and should not be confused with one. They are simply there to assist the chief with mutual aid, obtaining additional resources and if necesary relaying informataion to 60 Control. They do not make any firegound related decisions."

Certain Battalion COORDINATORS need to be reminded of the above statement, and remember their place in the system.

I agree 100% anf I hope that the powers that be deal with this confusion. Because I know that I would not take orders from a batt. chief on a scene. And another point is the less radio traffic the better. So why is the county sending an extra person to the scene to talk on the radio. If your not fighting the fire shut up and stay off the radio