Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Westchester County Fire Exam Results

34 posts in this topic

Anybody get their results from the WC FF Exam in May? If not, any idea when they are supposed to be coming out?

:D Anxiously Awaiting, LOL

WHAT!! Why does it have to take so long!! :cry:

yup, i heard jan also, we even had our department call over for the new list and they were told jan.. its reallly a joke that dutchess and putnam have theirs already.

County Policy dating back to the late 1800's dictates that they are only permissed to grad one civil service test every 4 hours. Not just fire tests are in that pool...even clerical workers tests. So they put importance factors on each exam and then grade them. So you can wait a long time ya' know.

that policy stinks, and this is gettin rediculious... Hartsdale just had a opening that was filled with a transfer from scarsdale thus there must be a opening for a firefighter over there... Any body have any info on how they plan to fill that spot?

Well, it went on long enough...I made up that policy...not true, just thought it was funny so don't think that Westchester County is not working hard on scanning your exams...

Well, January is half way over.....Anybody hear anything further about when the results will be released?

i still hear by the end of the month... also i have be told if u fail, you get your results faster... for what ever thats worth to any one so this delay could mean better news... but soposedly they will be out in the new 2 weeks, and the list won;t be certified till march when the old list expires.. thats why ithink they are stalling alittle....

This is Crap i want my results this way to long to have to wait

It's ridiculous, they can at least provided a score so we have some idea of how we did, or send us a letter and let us know what is going on. Publish it online if you cant do a mailing yet. We're going on 9 months here. Other people who took the same test in other counties have gotten their results long ago.

On another note, the $50 paid to take the test is absurd.

LOL, nothing like good old westchester county frustration. Well first I heard Dec., then Jan. then I heard middle of Feb. Anyone want to bet that the academy class in March will start before you guys get your results. Supposedly it has to do with budget cuts to personnel this year due to the county budge crisis.

Seth, yes $50 is somewhat crazy, the amount yes, the purpose of the money no. $25 would be fairer. The funny thing is I took it for giggles and may have gotten a question thrown out because you couldn't read the values on one of the questions in the black bar.

Also, Putnam established a list? I didn't even notice that, especially when all their departments are volunteer. Dutchess did get their list out, but they also don't get the influx of person Westchester does being they only have a handful of paid depts.

All I want is a letter explaining the delay. 10 months is a little ridiculous, at least can I find out my score, dont care about the ranking right now,lol.

BTW, Doesn't the county have to conduct the agilty test before they certify the list as well?

And to go on a little mini-rant here. Next time I file, I'd like to be able to do it online .And the fee should be $25 for Westchester residents, $50 for everybody else lol. Stop trying to make money off me, I pay(ed) my taxes as a county resident. At least it's not Nassau PD's $100 for the PD test. Maybe I will go on welfare, then all of you have to pay for me to take the test,lol! :D

Nicely put x635, Welfare is the way to go, wasn't a bad idea lol! I must agree, i'm gonna go broke after paying for these exam fees, at least they could have the descency to get your score back to you in a reasonable ammount of time. I heard January for the County FF exam, now i hear February and we are in February, whats the hold-up? Christ, NYC is faster with this stuff than Westchester, what does that tell you? BFD1054

The physical agilities don't need to be done to certify the list. They call a group at a time to do the agility, as needed, and as the list is used up. Obviously, the top names on the list would be called first for the agility after the list is certified.

when I took the exam I was able to have it count for my Rochester Fire exam as well. I received my test scores from Rochester city fire within two months of the exam. There was one buble card used for both agencies. I imagine Westchester reported my score to Rochester (since I took it in White Plains) so the County has know our scores for a Long Long time.

i found this on the westchester county web site

How long does it take to establish a list after I take an test?

The New York State Civil Service Commission scores examinations.  Eligible lists are established, on average, three months after the examination date.  

I find this very funny

my advice to the younger crowd,if you want to wait to get on the job around here it may take some time,in fact it might never happen.if you are willing to move away alot of places are always hiring. Atlanta fd,fairfax county VA,Las vegas , phoenix to mention a few. i have several friends that work for the mentioned depts. its tough to get hired here in ny.with alot of the residency laws in place its almost not worth the wait unless you are 100 % legit. I really am not saying this to cast a shadow over your dream of getting hired but I know the system quite well and almost relocated to Atlanta back in 1984. If you do want to get hired. go get an apartment in Yonkers and work your butt of to do well on the exams. Yonkers fd is one of the best jobs here in the northeast! good luck and never give up!

I have heard that the list is out and we will be gettingg are results wednesday of this week.

I have heard that the list is out and we will be gettingg are results wednesday of this week.

Where did you get this information? All of the sources I have checked with have said either "It was s'posed to be done in January." or "I have no idea. This is Westchester County we are talking about." ](*,)

I got my Dutchess County results back in August and had my Agility in September. Several DC departments have called for their list but they rank by residency.

-cmc-

Check your mailboxes...the results are in. I got mine today

So lets go gang...lets see where you sit countywide....

When ranked what is the lowest ## anybody know how many people took the test?

Mike

Mike, you could probably call the human resources department and ask them how many total are on the list. One person I know told me that he got an 85 and was like 163 on the list. If 85's are that high, and they still are doing the 5 point system (100, 95, 90 etc.) must not be all that many between 90 and 100. The test I got hired off of, I got a 100 and was 20th in the county, so I'm pretty interested in total numbers. Let us all know what the total list count is if you find out.

What's the purpose of a "5 point system"? How is that fair?

I got my results on sat 3/6/04 and am sitting very pretty on the list... :D

I got my results on sat 3/6/04  and am sitting very pretty on the list...  :D

I got my results on Saturday as well...

I did well and am ranked reasonably on the list... not sitting quite as pretty as 86ENGINE 8) ...but not bad.

Good Luck All!

-cmc-

What's the purpose of a "5 point system"? How is that fair?

The "5 point" system is very fair! The 5 points are awarded to combat veterans! I'm one.

We were there when our country needed us, and served in an area, where we could have lost our lives protecting your freedom!

To get these points, an applicant must prove that he/she has been awarded a specific campaign medal, generally by a DD-214.

This system is NYS law, if a combat disabled veteran wants to take the exam, it's 10 points.

This is definitly a FAIR system.

If 85's are that high, and they still are doing the 5 point system (100, 95, 90 etc.) must not be all that many between 90 and 100.

Res20cue, that's not what I was reffering to. I absolutely think vetrans deserve the points, my question was why the county only gives the grades in 5 point increments.