Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Staffing Levels

15 posts in this topic

What is considered "minimum staffing"??

How do the city depts in Westchester (all career) staff rigs? In other words how many people (ff and officers) are on a rig??

White Plains, MV, Yonkers......ect?

See NFPA guidelines. BTW...the number is 4.

YFD Engines/Trucks/Rescue are staffed with 1-Officer (Lt.or Capt) and 3-FF's

(4 total) Battalion Chief has an aide (2)...........

What YFD Rigs run with a Captain and what run with just a Lt. ? Or is it based on Shift (Overnights with LT., Daytime with Capt.) ?

In Torrington(Lithcfield)CT. They run 1 LT. and 3 Firemen on both engiens,(total of 4). 1 Capt. and 1-2 Firemen (total 2-3) on The Ladder. Rescue-1 Firfighter(total 1)

Edited by Rytoast391

FDMV- 2 man engines,3 man trucks.1man rescue w/an officer,officers are assigned to each house and will respond either on the truck or engine depending if they are 1st due or not. 1st due assignment you get 3 engs,2 trks,1 res,1 chief with an aid. total of 14 ff,1 chief and usually 3-4 line officers.

Edited by hudson144

What YFD Rigs run with a Captain and what run with just a Lt. ? Or is it based on Shift (Overnights with LT., Daytime with Capt.) ?

In Yonkers, each rig (Engine, Squad, Ladder or Rescue) has a Captain assigned to it who works one of the work groups (shifts) and Lieutenants work the remaining shifts. The Captains are in different work groups for neighboring rigs, so during any given day, there might be a Captain working on one rig while Lts in neighboring rigs.

At a fire or emergency scene the FIRST officer on the scene is in charge until an officer of HIGHER RANK arrives. So, if a newly promoted LT arrives first, he's in charge of any later arriving senior LTs until a Capt. arrives or the Chief...

Edited by batt2

White Plains has three fire fighters assigned to each rig sometimes four Ladder companies and rescue have a Lt all times on rig. Engine companies can ride without a LT or with one.

New Rochelle Fire is supposed have 31 on duty at all times but they only have 27 on duty at all times.

Eastchester Fire has 14 on duty.

Volusia County, FL runs 3 paid and if they are lucky, 1 volunteer. We also have no ladders anywhere in the county with the exception of daytona beach which only has 1 tower ladder!...obviously there is something wrong here

Eastchester Fire has 14 on duty.

14 minimum. It depends on vacation, float and sick days. It can go up to 19 depending on relief officer availability. This number doesn't include staff officers(Chief, Asst. Chief, Fire Prevention Officer.)

E27-2 Firefighters(sometimes 3 and/or 1 Lieutenant occasionally)

E28-Spare

E29-2 Firefighters

E30-2 Firefighters

E31-2 Firefighters

L15-Spare

L16-1 Firefighter(sometimes 2) and 1 Lieutenant

L17-1 Firefighter(sometimes 2) and 1 Lieutenant

2101-Chief of Department

2102-Shift Commander-Captain and 1 Aide(Firefighter)

2103-Asst. Chief

2105-Mechanic

2106-Maintenance

2107-Fire Prevention (Captain or Lieutenant)

2108-Spare

Edited by Get the roof

[14 minimum. It depends on vacation, float and sick days. It can go up to 19 depending on relief officer availability. This number doesn't include staff officers(Chief, Asst. Chief, Fire Prevention Officer.)

I thought 13 was minimum. E31 can run with 1 man. Only recently have they added and kept a second man on E31. I don't think they have ever run with 19 men, and when they made Lt's, they didn't replace them with FF's. I'm sure next years vacation picks will affect staffing levels, but things have changed since I left..............and I'm not coming back.

Edited by yfd910

I thought 13 was minimum. E31 can run with 1 man. Only recently have they added and kept a second man on E31. I don't think they have ever run with 19 men, and when they made Lt's, they didn't replace them with FF's. I'm sure next years vacation picks will affect staffing levels, but things have changed since I left..............and I'm not coming back.

Like I said, it depends on relief officer availibility. If no officers are out, that gives 2 lieutenants and a captain extra. That's best case scenerio. And yes, 31 rides 2 all the time now. Things have changed for the better!

In Mount Vernon the magic number this week is 17 firefighters, 4 Officers and a Deputy or Capt in the car.

Say what you want about FDMV but I don't see how their staffing issues are any different from the rest of Westchester. Just listen to the scanner and you'll hear plenty of departments who have to be retoned 2 or 3 times before they even get the staffing that FDMV has. Mount Vernon probably does a better job with what they have then some departments who claim they don't have any manpower issues.