Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Remote Car Starters

20 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a good place to get a basic remote car starter installed. I'm looking preferably in the lower county area and Fairfield county. Haven't found any place reliable or cost effective since I started looking.

Thanks for any help.

There's a place in Larchmont where Ray Catena Lexus sends cars to get stuff like that done. It's on Boston Post Rd, I believe between the VW dealer H. Freda's garage. It's called Audioworks. They are VERY good, but probably a little pricy. There's also another place in Mamaroneck that I can't remember the name of, but I think they are on Jefferson Ave, near the Intersection with Mamaroneck Ave. It its not on Jefferson, it's one of those streets that intersects with Mamaroneck Ave, probably Nostrand Ave or Hillside Ave.

Theres a place on Rt. 6 In Mohegan don't remember the name but good place. Also Sound Concept in Mt. Kisco I hear is pretty good, and Dream Toyz Auto Inc. in Ossining On Croton Ave. is Great, I believe they did All the Ossining FD Chiefs Trucks if I'm not mistaking. Also a Place On Central Ave. in Ossining is good also.

Edited by ONLOCATION

Try Circut City, They do an OK job and its a little cheaper than going to a independent store. Don't go to Best Buy, I've seen them do some pretty shotty work.

Does anyone know of a good place to get a basic remote car starter installed.  I'm looking preferably in the lower county area and Fairfield county.  Haven't found any place reliable or cost effective since I started looking.

Thanks for any help.

One of the members of the GBFD might be in that line of business. If you desire, I'll check with him at the monthly meeting tonight.

One questsion to add to this topic is do these remote starters work in manual transmissions???

Try Circut City, They do an OK job and its a little cheaper than going to a independent store. Don't go to Best Buy, I've seen them do some pretty shotty work.

Well, most of their salespeople are, shall we say "challenged?" Unless you know exactly what you want, I wouldn't recommend Best Buy to anyone. Circuit City seems to be a little more on the ball.

One questsion to add to this topic is do these remote starters work in manual transmissions???

Might work, but illegal (and probably pretty stupid) to install. You leave it in gear and forget about it.

On my newest addition (05' Grand Cherokee), my remote start was dealer-installed at a price of about $500.

On my old car (01' Nissan Altima), i had Circuit City on Rt. 6 in Mohegan install one. That cost me in the range of $200-$300 if i remember correctly. I can't speak for any other stores, but that particular Circuit City did a great job. It was done very clean and within a few hours. The sales people/installers there were great and very knowledgable.

As for manual transmission vehicles...as Cam502 stated, it is illegal and not the smartest thing to do. As far as i know, most dealers/retailers will NOT install a remote starter on a manual transmission vehicle. Reason being is, as CAM502 said, if you leave the car in a "drive" gear, then the vehicle may take off when started with the remote. And that just has disaster written all over it!

On a side note, remote starters are one of the best features you can have on a vehicle, IMO. I love mine this time of year especially. About 10 minutes before i leave for work, i go to my window and use the remote to start my car and when i get in to leave, the car is nice and warm and the windows are usually clear as well! You just have to remember to leave the heat on and at the proper setting that you want, or else its pretty much useless lol!

Anyway, good luck to you and if you get one, you'll never regret it!

Edited by BFD1054

maybe i am nuts but at target, yes target, they have the do it your self kit with everything, computer thingy, new forber, and what looked like a good direction booklet all for how much...it was said 500$ at dealer :blink: ....do it your self for 60 bucks...it maybe be "cheap" but i dont know how you really can go that wrong, its just a few wire connections and a computer modd :P

Edited by Firefighter57

Northern Auto and Sound in Bedford Hills...117 and the corner of Cherry St... great installation, fair prices and a great selection of different remote starters... Just had them install a remote starter on my 04 Grand Cherokee and it works awesome..

The remote starter that Target is offering saying that there is an MSRP of 500 and only selling it for 60 is great and all, but you better have a really good idea and knowledge of your cars ignition box and wiring. Because if you try and install the starter yourself and cut the wrong wire or anything along those lines, car aint gunna start...Just bring it to the dealership where you brought the car or any audio dealer, they have the people who have installed plenty of these, and will save you all the time and hassle of trying to install the starter yourself....

Yes ive heard many horror stories from all sorts of people who's car starters werent put in properly. One crossed wire sends the cars computer into a frenzy and god knows what will go wrong.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

If you leave your car in gear (manual trns) the remote starter will not work as the clutch is not engaged so the car will not start it will try but it will not turn over. so this would be a waste of your money.

cas2383,

Try the place on BYRAM Rd just in from Mill Street on the PC Greenwich border,, its a Car Audio install and car starter place. Heard he is very good. :mellow:

cas2383,

Try the place on BYRAM Rd just in from Mill Street on the PC Greenwich border,, its a Car Audio install and car starter place. Heard he is very good. :mellow:

I actually went there, they are good but wanted over $450 for a basic starter and the installation.

oh !! Thats way Too Much !!!

sorry

Edited by Firemn2742A

If you leave your car in gear (manual trns) the remote starter will not work as the clutch is not engaged so the car will not start it will try but it will not turn over. so this would be a waste of your money.

Yea I am not willing to give up the gas mileage and control of a manual transmission for the remote car start. In the winter I am sure it is great. Someone I used to work with had one put in and it wouldn't start a cold engine, rendering it useless. Whats the point.

Edited by M2theAX

I agree. Circuit City has the best prices and installation options. However, i found that it is illegal to install remote start on a vehicle with manual transmission. I have a 95 toyota 4runner with 5 speed and they informed me of this.

I tried Audio Visions of Westchester on the White Plains/Hartsdale border and they said they would install it on a manual trans however will not give me a receipt in return. i would have installed it myself but the remote starters don't come with any wiring diagrams.