Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
csf248

Long Island Fire & Rescue Show 2006

29 posts in this topic

The 2006 Long Island Fire, Rescue, & EMS Mega Show is coming to the Expo Center at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Hempstead Turnpike in Uniondale on Saturday, January 28, and Sunday, January 29, 2006. Show hours are 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, and 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets are on sale at the door on the day of the show, or for pre-registration departmental vouchers, call 631-669-4300.

Anyone plan on going?

I know 58-B1 (elmsford) is going to be there, as well as members from valhalla.

ME AND A BONCH OF GUYS FROM THE THE VILLAGE OF MAMARONECK ARE 602 IS GOING TO IT IS A NEICE SHOW AND IT KEEPS GETTING BIGGER EVERY YEAR

Has anybody been to this show in previous years?

How would you rate it and is it worth going to.

Thanks.

Usually about a dozen rigs and all the usual vendors(Tee Shirts galore). All the major manufacturers have a display now. It's a nice day to see whats new out there and a nice break for the winter.

Don't forget later this year (September?) NYSAFC will be having a show at Hofstra

I personally like the show. It started out nice and little and oyu could go threw the whole thing in 1hr or less. Now the show is expanding and only for the better. If you are looking for something you will 9 times out of ten find it. I usually go on sat. but this year im going on sunday for a change. I personally have found almost everything that I have gone down there for. Have a good time, if you go with the right guys, it turns out to be a really fun day.

its also very educational. They demo off all the new stuff. It's worth it...

I believe they also had an vehicle extrication challenge too

yfd

I went last year, it was a good show.

bring cash a soda was about 5 bucks

later see you there

To those who went on Saturday, what did you think of it? Better than last years? Bigger? etc? I plan on going tomorrow. thanks

I went today (saturday), and it was a pretty good show. I haven't gone in the previous years, so i can't really compare, but there were some very nice rigs there including Valhallas new E82 and Elmsfords new 58B1. Lots of nice lighting displays as well.

648eng119 one quick question: i know that valhalla was planning on making the new eng 82 as a twin to 84. did they make any changes, even subtle like roll up doors LEDs etc, that you know of?

Good show me and some guys from my department went down and we had a good time. 2 hot dogs and a water 16 bucks!!!

:)

648eng119 one quick question: i know that valhalla was planning on making the new eng 82 as a twin to 84. did they make any changes, even subtle like roll up doors LEDs etc, that you know of?

Honestly, I don't know E84 well enough to notice any differences. I'm 99% sure it didn't have the roll up doors, and it had the standard ALF lighting package. (See Below)

On a side note - easest way to avoid the high food prices at the show...Go to Hooters down the street!! The Wings we're awesome, and the breasts and thighs were pretty good too!!! :)

post-721-1138505266.gif

Edited by 648eng119

The show wasn't as big as last year, nor did it have as many rigs on display. Last year, the Coliseum itself was also full of stuff, but this year, it was full of kids playing soccer.

Highlight, for me, was Huntington Manor's awesome new ALF tower ladder. Tarrytown has itself some competition! :)

In regards to Valhalla's new engine-it a twin to E-84 -some cosmetic changes- but a twin.

HFD-where did you go? Yankee stadium???

ya 5 bucks for a hot dog....so I took 648's advice and hit up good ol HOOTERS!

I can't say that i was impressed with the show too much. I walked the whole thing, booth to booth in under an hour. Then i just walked around a few mores times to kill time before we left lol! We did manage to get our Chief to buy a sweet K12 saw for our 1dt due from all-hands fire. I only spent $12 and that was on a tee-shirt.

I have to say the highlight for me was lunch at Hooters, as many of you said!

i am just glad i got free passes to get in. did walk the whole thing rather quickly. seemed like there were alot of booths for like t-shirts and whatnot. nice rigs though. didn't really buy anyhting, no way i was paying the food prices. not a bad day

It used to be that going to these shows were awesome when I was younger. Seeing, and hearing about the new products was great. I think the internet, and the vendors sites, has dulled the "shock" of seeing some things at these shows. When I started going to these around 1996, the internet wasn't as big as it is now. When you went to shows, you'd see stuff for the first time. Nowadays, I see and hear a lot of information before I even go to the shows.

As far as this show went, it wasn't much. I would think, given the crowd this show attracts, it would have more potential and try to expand a little, maybe even offer some more training. It's not even much of a trade show, it's more like a buff fest. My favorite part about going was getting to see and spend time with some of my friends. Otherwise, not much learned-which is always disspoining. And no great rigs either...it seems in past years, they always had some cool stuff there...whether it be Ladder 10 FDNY, Berwyn Heights MD's tower, etc.

Another thing I hate about shows is people that bring their whole families. It's hard to look at things getting bumped or blocked by a stroller, or not being able to check out a firetruck because 20 kids are climbing all over it.

As for shows, Harrisburg is THE best...the most apparatus under one roof. That's my favorite part of a show, seeing all the new concepts in apparatus and tools.

Edited by x635

I didn't even bother with the concessions. I learned my lesson about arena food a looooong time ago. Was awfully tempting to relieve the pizza dude of some of his duties, though. He looked kinda lost....LOL!!!!

No great rigs?? You missed that sweet ALF tower? That thing was HOT! (Huntington Manor's, that is).

Edited by AndyC3J

What about Syosett's new Pierce Heavy Rescue? Alot of specialized equipment carried for various purposes.

Syosset's rescue was nice. Also, Roslyn Highlands FD's 598 (Seagrave engine/ 75' on top) was nice. They have a twin for that, I believe.

Syosset's rescue was nice. Also, Roslyn Highlands FD's 598 (Seagrave engine/ 75' on top) was nice. They have a twin for that, I believe.

They do, there is a picture of them on Seagrave's web site under "What's New"

How'd I miss that? Would like to have seen at least one of 'em. What part of the room was it in?

Oh yeah, Syosset's rescue is hot, too. Can't wait for parade season. Hopefully some of these will get out and about.

Some very cool things on the ALF tower there... there was an AWESOME side compartment design with closet hooks,axes, k-tool, blah, blah, blah that was a triple board design... really optimized space... IDK if the attachments worked but I have pics..

They must like NY Pikes... they had 7 in the rear compartment (along with an assload of ground ladders (I think they had 2 35'!).

Only pet-peeve about that truck and most of the ALF/LTIs that I've seen is the fact that the controls for the jacks are on the officer's side of the apparatus, thus making it impossible to make sure you aren't crushing something (or someone) on the other side.

Syosett's rescue was bad a**... lots of cool stuff on that rig

Oh well, a good show I thought.

Rich