Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

Turnout Gear Hand Tools

32 posts in this topic

I am putting together some tools to keep in my gear, I just got a new "tool roll" I was wondering what other people keep in their gear.

Thanks

Brian

Also this will not turn into a debate as to whether or not tools should be kept in gear.

A good utility knife is hard to beat. Also, a multi-fuction tool. And....you can never have enough light...one of those small Garrity life lights is a great back-up. For 3.99 you can't go wrong.

A good utility knife is hard to beat. Also, a multi-fuction tool. And....you can never have enough light...one of those small Garrity life lights is a great back-up. For 3.99 you can't go wrong.

Hey, were can u find one of those (If its the one im thinking of). Been lookin all over the place. I probably passed it like 10 times over the internet.

Edited by N.R.F.D.~TL-11

wire cutters, multi tip screwdriver, buck knife, o2 wrench, hex key set, folding spanner, sprinkler wedges/door chocks, latex gloves, center punch

Hey, were can u find one of those (If its the one im thinking of). Been lookin all over the place. I probably passed it like 10 times over the internet.

which tool r u looking 4?

if you are looking for the light, look in wallmart, kmart, target, or any hardware store and they should have them.

which tool r u looking 4?

The tool SFD302 was talking about. The Utility knife with a built in flashlight.

if you are looking for the light, look in wallmart, kmart, target, or any hardware store and they should have them.

Ok, thanx

Set of Vise-Grips with an attached dog leash, like a metal chain one. Also, would suggest a length of webbing or short length of rope.

My Pockets:

Life Light,

Extrication Gloves,

Knife,

Latex Gloves (for Blood),

Flathead Skrewdriver,

Bailout Rope,

o yea and a pack of mint gum! (for all the ladies i meet! LOL no i just have a dry outh at 3 in the morning)

Wedge, Multi-tool (foldable spanner mentioned above), extrication gloves, webbing, D carabiner, custom made metal wedge for hanging over door hinges (doesn't get pulled out by the hose line), shove knife, and wire cutters.

The wire cutters I never used to carry until we had a restaraunt job ten years ago. The place was heavily involved on arrival. All of the duct work was flex duct with the wire in it. The ducts melted dropping the wire all over the floor. Our guys kept getting tangled up. Whe the first crew came out for a bottle change we all had the stuff wrapped around our feet. Dragged some of it halfway to the staging area.

I carry a gerber tool and a window punch, haven't needed anything else yet.

Since this post mentions other things too, I also carry an extra set of flex goggles in the coat, non-latex exam gloves for bsi precautions as well as 20 feet of rescue webbing rolled up in pants pocket in case you need some extra leverage to make a rescue. For flashlights i keep a junky garrity light on the helmet and a survivor light on the chest of the coat.

Edited by cas2383

i used to get laughed at for carrying the wire cutters till we had a similar job in a restaurant with the same problem. my cutters made the rounds for a couple of hours & same guys laughing before went & bought their own.

innertube strap on helmet can retain light & wedges

My Pockets:

Life Light,

Extrication Gloves,

Knife,

Latex Gloves (for Blood),

Flathead Skrewdriver,

Bailout Rope,

o yea and a pack of mint gum! (for all the ladies i meet! LOL no i just have a dry outh at 3 in the morning)

i must say gum is always a plus for those early calls in the am!! :angry:

helmet- streamlight flashlight, pair of ems scissors, wooden door chock x2

coat- extrication gloves, survivor light, latex gloves, wire cutters

pants- Res-Q Tool-> used this on 2 extrication calls and works great!!!, besides that, 2nd pair of gloves (good quality work gloves)

Tools and equipment I have

Gemtor belt

Folding spanner

25ft of webbing for RIT / FAST ops

ringer extrication gloves

Smith & Wesson knife with the built in center punch

seat belt cutter

two door chocks

Garrity light on helmet (actually need a new one)

shove knife

EMS glove holder

If you have a radio pocket on you coat, keep your knife there, easier to grab it.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Tools and equipment I have

Gemtor belt

Folding spanner

25ft of webbing for RIT / FAST ops

ringer extrication gloves

Smith & Wesson knife with the built in center punch

seat belt cutter

two door chocks

Garrity light on helmet (actually need a new one)

shove knife

EMS glove holder

If you have a radio pocket on you coat, keep your knife there, easier to grab it.

Folding spanner, door chocks, wire cutter, 35 ft. bail-out rope, leatherman, slip (or shove) knife, webbing and latex gloves.

Coat:

Leatherman tool(clipped outside)

latex gloves

hose strap

wire cutters

utility knife

mini flashlight

Big Ed Rechargeable light (clipped outside)

spare radio battery

waterproof hydrant list (location, psi, flow)

safety glasses

Pants:

40' webbing

40' 3/8" military rope

extrication gloves

folding knife (clipped outside)

Radio strap:

radio

cellphone

here my walking junk box:

Coat pockets:

folding Smith & wesson clipped to pocket opening

latex gloves (stuffed into one)

TFT ResQRench (window punch, gas shutoff, spanner wrench, O2 wrench & seat belt cutter all in one)

extrication gloves

Survivor Light on outside of coat

Pant pockets:

left:

10' continous loop of 1" webbing (stored in a doughnut roll in a latex glove)*

save-a-jake

right:**

multihead screwdriver

wire cutters

shove knife

35' bail out rope

helmet:

garrity light

seat belt cutter

chocks

*I learned this storage tip at FDIC, it keeps the webbing dry, compact and easy to deploy I suggest trying it

**our right pockets on our pants are split bellow pocket (kevlar lined) so it make storing a combination of items easy and accessable, check it out next time you spec gear, a good spec makes 10# of shite fit in a 5# bag nicely

I'm surprised no one has said EMT shears

I dont have QUITE as much as some of you guys but what I have has always worked well:

I keep a folding universal spanner, that has seatbelt cutter, gas wrench, pry bar and window punch. Shove knife. Door chocks. mini-halligan (hangs from mic-clip) 35' escape rope with large "D" ring Biner. Spanner Belt. and a couple of small pieces of utility rope. I have a divers flashlight in my radio pocket and a garrity in my pants pocket for extra light. B)

i must say gum is always a plus for those early calls in the am!! B)

helmet- streamlight flashlight, pair of ems scissors, wooden door chock x2

coat- extrication gloves, survivor light, latex gloves, wire cutters

pants- Res-Q Tool-> used this on 2 extrication calls and works great!!!, besides that, 2nd pair of gloves (good quality work gloves)

Nothing against all that but just remember the more you put on your helmet the better the chance of getting it hooked on something.

Also, I suppose anyone could make the case to have just about any tool on or in their gear. Hell, i saw a guy with a utility belt that had a saw and 6 carabiners on it. My point is that keep in mind you are carrying enough weight with your gear and SCBA....and that doesn't account for fatigue. Keep it simple when packing.... a knife, a light, safety rope and MAYBE something else should get you the hell out of a bad situation.

I kepp a chock in my helmet and a sparein my bunker pants.

On my helmet-Streamlight 6P flashlight

folding spanner wrench

door chock

small regular screwdriver-tucked in behind helmet front

On coat-fire gloves

streamlight survivor

folding knife on a dog leash clip

In coat pockets-extrication/overhaul gloves

latex gloves

and most important mutual-aid money-never leave town without coffee money

In bunker pockets-30" bail out rope w/carabiner

4-way rachet screwdriver

7" pair of multi-purpose shears

2 more door chocks

6" slip joint pliers

Also carry my inside coat pocket my pair of glasses that fit my AV-3000 facepiece-if you can't see you ain't much good

As a rookie i carried a lot more but,with experience,I got down to what found I needed at a scene and added and removed as time went on.

I carry in my pockets 12ft of webbing, multihead screwdriver, small adjustable wrench, cable cutters, shove knife, center punch, folding spanner(s), utility knife, ems shears, gemtor harness and i used to have bail out bad until someone stole it :)

in my pockets emt shears emt gloves widow punch extra pair firefighting gloves.

COAT POCKETS

folding spanner

extrication gloves

safety glasses

short piece of rope with metal hook

trauma shears

FRONT OF COAT

survivor light

hood

Accountability tag

PANTS

50' bail out rope w/ beaner

15' webbing tied into loop

folding spanner multi tool

fire gloves

HELMET

door chocks

HELMET

Flashlight and 2 door chocks

COAT PCKETS

Pocket ( L )- Extrication gloves, saftey glasses, window punch and a seatbelt cutter

Pocket ( R )- Utility knife, home made shove knife, and a folding spanner wrench

OUTSIDE COAT- flashlight, hood, 2 more Door chocks in radio holder

PANTS

On Side of pants FF Gloves w/ glove strap

Edited by Rytoast391

coat- inside pocket- extra hood ( for when the stench gets to bad on my other hood)

left outside bellows pocket- Fire gloves

right outside bellows pocket- leather gloves,window punch, tire stem remover, safety glasses. gerber muti-tool.

on my pants the only pocket i have is a rear pocket like on a pair of jeans just enough for BSI gloves and a couple bucks for a drink on the way back from a job.

thats my stuff for when im at the Rescue Squad.

As for at work the pockets on my coat suck, they are so small i cant fit anything in them so the only thing i can get in them is BSI gloves and window punch and tire stem tool.

as for my pants they have the huge pockets on them that i cant stand cause they get in the way and give you too much room to put too much stuff in them.

so alls i keep in them is work gloves(leather) and my fire gloves.

When i was a rookie i had my pockets packed with goodies. I just leaned that "u dont use the stuff and it just gets in the way half the time. The only thing i wish i did have in my pockets is wire cutters. it seems that every house fire i go to im getting hung up in wires from the ceiling.

as for all the other stuff am i really going to use it? ........no cause one of the probies or buffs will be there with pockets full of junk