Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Maryland Firefighters Altercation- Outcome

18 posts in this topic

Kentland's web site

One more piece from Kentland's web site I think it's the third or fourth piece down titled "Statement regarding the Standish drive fire".

Probably the best way they could put it. Although "Terminated from their position" rolls out a little better. Dumbass got what he deserved. Right or wrong, this is not the days of Boss Tweed and Americus Engine 6. You don't get into fistfights on a fireground or in front of the people you are supposed to be protecting.

He is just "fired" from Kentland, or also DCFD??

i'm sure he's received a pink slip & will now have to file for pizza & soda benefits from the state.

i'm not condoning what he did but i understand it. having someone cut off your water for whatever reason will really get your hair up.

This applys to the original post as well...

The Watch Desk

All are familiar with The Watch Desk?....well here's what the boys from PG had to say on the matter in the forum there. It gets interesting....must say, the watch desk is a bit more brutal than emtbravo.

Edited by 22 Truck

Probably the best way they could put it. Although "Terminated from their position" rolls out a little better. Dumbass got what he deserved. Right or wrong, this is not the days of Boss Tweed and Americus Engine 6. You don't get into fistfights on a fireground or in front of the people you are supposed to be protecting.

10-4

Behavior such as this is intolerable from any fire fighter. Removing him from the department is the first step, but I'm sure we'll see more. I'm sure we've all been heated on the fire ground a time or two. Several years ago I was on a 2 1/2 interior when I noticed the fire fighter behind me was gone. When I came out I had every intention of going off on him, but as soon as I removed my mask and saw the homeowners standing across that yellow tape I supressed my anger. We are public figures, and public servants, and we always have to keep that in mind. What's truly shameful about this, is the fact that brothers were hurt as a result. For any department to believe they know it all (which is the impression I get from looking at Kentland's website...that's just an opinion) is dangerous. To put other fire fighters in danger purposely, is criminal. Where I am, an assault on a fire fighter performing his or her duty carries the same legal punishment as assault on a police officer. This guy should be charged, along with any others who participated. This is an issue of public service, and those involved need to remember we are here for the public not for ourselves.

Behavior such as this is intolerable from any fire fighter. Removing him from the department is the first step, but I'm sure we'll see more. I'm sure we've all been heated on the fire ground a time or two. Several years ago I was on a 2 1/2 interior when I noticed the fire fighter behind me was gone. When I came out I had every intention of going off on him, but as soon as I removed my mask and saw the homeowners standing across that yellow tape I supressed my anger. We are public figures, and public servants, and we always have to keep that in mind. What's truly shameful about this, is the fact that brothers were hurt as a result. For any department to believe they know it all (which is the impression I get from looking at Kentland's website...that's just an opinion) is dangerous. To put other fire fighters in danger purposely, is criminal. Where I am, an assault on a fire fighter performing his or her duty carries the same legal punishment as assault on a police officer. This guy should be charged, along with any others who participated. This is an issue of public service, and those involved need to remember we are here for the public not for ourselves.

I very much agree. No doubt Kentland fight their share of fires and my hat is off to the members who are there for the right reasons. There is without a doubt an ego problem within that department and the website is an excellent example of that. Pride in your department and it's accomplishments are a great thing but I think Kentland has crossed the line. My opinion only. Again, my hat off to the dedicated professional firefighters of Kentland. They don't all desreve a bad rep because of a few.

One Question

How is a Volunteer Firefighter "fired' :)

The same way a volunteer goes through disciplinary procedures before being removed from the organization.

He is just "fired" from Kentland, or also DCFD??

I was at 3 Engine in DC this weekend, and most seemed to think that unless he was charged criminally that there would be no action taken by DCFD. He has been to work since the incident.

Given everything I saw on the video and from folks that are close to the situation, he didn't do anything that warrented criminal charges. Anger management classes might be a start though.

kentland is embarassing themselves with that website...anyone notice their member pictures...for example the guy who was just kicked out had a picture of him and it said "kentland Crip" on the wall behind him...just a thought

Kentland Volunteer Chief Suspended

Written By Gary Reals

9 News

Last Updated: 3/10/2006 9:46:32 PM

The recent controversy embroiling the Prince George's County Fire Department is getting worse.

9 News on Thursday broke the story yesterday of new claims of fighting among firefighters. Last month, one volunteer firefighter was terminated after getting caught on home video shoving and yelling at another firefighter.

On Friday, another volunteer chief was ousted and the county's fire chief spoke out.

Chief Lawrence Sedgwick says he wants this recent spate of claims of fighting firefighters to stop.

He is concerned that public confidence in the Fire Department will erode. Meantime the chief of one of the busiest engine companies in the nation, the Kentland Volunteer Fire Department, has been relieved of his command, by Chief Sedgwick.

Just Thursday, Chief Mike Mattison went to bat for his volunteers. A day later, he was notified he's being relieved. Mattison says his removal is temporary.

On the now infamous videotape from last month's incident in which one firefighter is captured pushing another volunteer against his truck, Chief Mattison also was captured out of uniform.

Department rules require all firefighters on a scene to be attired in turn-out gear.

Mattison claims that is the only reason for his removal, which he says is temporary. He says it has nothing to do with the fighting in last month's incident, nor three reports this week of pushing and shoving by firefighters on the scene of working fires.

The Prince George's County's fire chief tells 9 News this most recent spate of fighting is becoming a dangerous distraction. Not only does it put firefighters in harm's way, it impairs his department's ability to respond to emergencies and erodes public confidence in the fire service.

Kentlands website should have a huge banner across the top that says

"We are like school on Sunday, No Class"

Kentlands website should have a huge banner across the top that says

"We are like school on Sunday, No Class"

or there is a substitute teacher today...