Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Chief Robert Schnibbe Jr.

10 posts in this topic

Chief Robert Schnibbe Jr.

Westchester County Battalion Chief Robert Schnibbe Jr. died Friday evening March 3, 2006 while directing operations at a structure fire in the Village of Irvington.

Chief Schnibbe began his volunteer firefighting career as a member of Protection Engine Company #1 of the Hastings-on-Hudson Fire Department (Engine 44). He served six years as a company line officer and twenty-four years as Chief officer for the Department from 1977 to 2001.

He was a member of numerous fire service organizations including the Westchester County Volunteer Firefighters Association, the New York State Association of Fire Chiefs and the Westchester County Parade Judges Association where he served as President at the time of his death.

Chief Schnibbe was appointed Chief of Battalion 14 of Westchester County in 2003. In this position, he was responsible for coordinating mutual aid operations in Hastings-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Elmsford, Ardsley, Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow.

Because of his responsibilities as a mutual aid coordinator and his activities in numerous fire service organizations, Chief Schnibbe was one of the most widely known and respected fire officials in Westchester County and throughout the State.

He is survived by his loving wife jean, daughter Jennifer and son-in-law Brad Cummings, son Brian, stepson Mike Bloomer, brother Thomas, sister Margie and mother Anne. He was predeceased by his father Robert and sister Ammer.

For updates regarding Wake and Funeral arrangements, please go to:

www.hastings-on-hudson-firedept.org

WITH REGRETS i PASS ON THE INFO OF THE PASSING OF ROBERT SCHNIBBE OF THE HASTINGS FD AND WESTCHESTER DES. BOB WAS SERVING AS THE BATTALION 14 COORDINATOR AT THE FIRE LAST NIGHT IN IRVINGTON. MORE INFO WILL BE POSTED IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE,REST INPEACE BOB. JJC

'Beloved' Hastings battalion chief dies

By BARBARA LIVINGSTON NACKMAN

bnackman@lohud.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: March 4, 2006)

HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON — Robert Schnibbe Jr., a well-known battalion chief for Westchester's rivertowns and longtime Hastings firefighter, is being mourned today following his death late Friday night while responding to an Irvington structure fire.

At an emotional press conference this afternoon fire officials said 57-year-old Schnibbe collapsed at the scene of a fire he was directing at 1 Blueberry Road, as he was returning to his car. He was pronounced dead at Dobbs Ferry Hospital. The exact cause of death hasn't been determined. The fire was in a two-story home under construction and no one was inside.

Schnibbe was a 39-year member of the Hastings-on-Hudson Fire Department's Protection Engine Company No. 1 — 24 years as chief officer of the department. He was appointed Chief of Battalion 14 of Westchester County in 2003, responsible for coordinating mutual aid operations in Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Elmsford, Ardsley, Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow.

Black-and-white bunting hung outside his Warburton Avenue company this afternoon and the flag was lowered to half-staff at 6:30 a.m., firefighters said.

"He was a beloved deputy fire chief and friend to us all," said fire chief Stephen Pecylak. "He had a great smile and was our go-to man."

He is survived by his wife Jean, daughter Jennifer, son-in-law Brad Cummings, son Brian, stepson Mike Bloomer, a brother Thomas, sister Margie Schnibbe, and mother Anne. He was predeceased by his father Robert and sister Ammer.

For updates regarding wake and funeral arrangements, please go to www.hastings

I have knowed Bob since i was in dipers, he was a geat firefighter and an even a better friend, Bob was an emtbravo member. I recently saw Bob 2 weeks ago and he was more happy than i have ever saw him. Bob was a great well-known and should be remebered.

Another sudden, tragic loss and another grab by fate. Bob was well known amongst the Rivertowns fire service community, where he gained much respect for his knowledge and leadership.

I remember how impressed I was with the length of his tenure when he stepped down as Chief of Hastings, and also remember him being appointed as B-14 and the positive impact it had in bringing Battalion 14 together more. I will remember when I met him on various occasions, his enthusiasm for the fire service. I also always appreciated him expressing his enthusiasm for this site, in which he was an active member, and his always inviting myself to take photos of various Rivertown firematic drills and events.

Thoughts, prayers, and condolences to his family. Rest in peace, Bob.

Schnibbe was a great guy, always positive and cheerful along with Professional.

My Thoughts and prayers go out to the Schnibbe Family, The Hastings-On-Hudson FD and Especially the Protection Eng. Co. May he always be remembered. Only Heard good things about him. He will be Greatly Missed by the Fire Service Family.

He not only provided valuable insight into everything he was involved in, he was a mentor, story teller, intelligent leader, selfless human being and most importantly a great friend. He would almost always smile and change the atmosphere, anywhere, to a positive one.

Words cannot express how I feel for his family and I am sure the rest of this comminty feels the same about him. He was a legend for being known almost everywhere besides the Hudson Valley area. A few years back I was in a bar, in Maryland, wearing my Hastings shirt and was asked if I knew him.

Bob, thank you for being part of our lives & Kyle thanks you for the pickle.

Edited by steve shryock

bob was a great man to the fire service and will be missed by many. may he rest in peace. he was defenantly a great leader and had just a great orra about him. my condellences to all wich this tragedy has affected especialy the family and the hastings fire dept.

Another sad day for the fire service. I worked with Bob with the State Chief's Association. He was always trying to make things better. A true visionary and all around good guy. May he rest in peace and may God look after his family and the Hastings Fire Department. Heaven's ranks of the bravest has just gone up....

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

While I never got the pleasure of meeting Bob, I did get to talk to him a few times here and there on the phone. It was always a pleasure deailing with him. My condolences go out to all the friends and family.

While I never got the pleasure of meeting Bob, I did get to talk to him a few times here and there on the phone. It was always a pleasure deailing with him. My condolences go out to all the friends and family.