Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

Volvo trucks

19 posts in this topic

I know that Volvo makes long distance haulers but does Volvo make a rig that can be used by a department in our area and if so does anyone run a Volvo rig. Thanks

In today's world, Volvo truck chassis are most likely (if even) to be used for a tanker application. However, a little while ago, Volvo purchased some assests of the White and Autocar Motor Companies and combined to sell those brands. Around here under the White brand, Stamford has a 1980's unit that runs as engine 8. In Westchester, Goldens Bridge's tanker 1 is a 1988 White. If you look on the grille, you can see the bar that goes across vertically, evidence of Volvo as they manufacture Volvo trucks the same way. Further upstate (and you can see this on the Gowands-Knight website) Kingsbury runs a Volvo/Autocar engine.

I know that Volvo makes long distance haulers but does Volvo make a rig that can be used by a department in our area and if so does anyone run a Volvo rig.  Thanks

Long Beach FD on Long Island has a Volvo Rescue

I have seen photos of the new "heavy duty" version of the Volvo VN chassis in use as a pumper-tanker, and as was mentioned, there's a couple of rescues with the cab-over model, and a number of Autocar chassis floating around. They're out there, just not as common as the Mack, International, Freightliner, etc. that normally get used as fire apparatus.

Here is a PAPD's Volvo ESU truck. The photo was taken at a 9/11 funeral. I don't know if it is still in service.

post-1819-1142187606.jpg

Here are a few shot's of a 1995 Volvo/Rescue-1. The rig is used by the Whitehouse Rescue Squad of New Jersey. They cover the following area's; Majority of Readington Township, Eastern portion of Clinton Township, Southern portion of Tewksbury Township & the Eastern half of Lebanon Borough. This unit was purchased from PL Custom and is used by the Rescue Services Division. It carries such things as basic rescue tools, full compliment of Lukas extrication tools, water & ice rescue equipment, pneumatic tools & rope rescue equipment to name a few.

Here is the Whitehouse Rescue Squad website:

http://www.whitehouserescue.com/

Check it out!

post-32-1142195512.jpg

post-32-1142195527.jpg

Heres one last shot of the Whitehouse Rescue Squad's Volvo....

post-32-1142196311.jpg

VolVO was used widely in Europe for firetrucks. I know Leyland used to use them and Benz a lot. I don't think Leyland is in operation anymore.

rescue 125 of the north queensbury n.y fire dept. is by far the nicest one i've seen.on lake george in warren county. see it at www.northqueensburyfire.org

Edited by xvolly

I believe the PAPD Volvo rig is still in service and based out of the big PAPD station in "no-mans-land" between Hoboken & Jersey city.

The Stamford rig mentioned has been thankfully retired and was headed south of the border.

The truck had seen far better days and its replacement as a reserve was well over due.

Lake Carmel's 17-4-1 is a 1992 Pierce/Volvo/White/GMC tanker/pumper. A BMF that performs superbly.

yes 17-4-1 is a great rig lots of power for a truck its size...post-1784-1142299796.jpg

Sparrowbush (Orange Co.) has a couple of monster Autocars like that. They've had quite a few problems with one of them, though.

Wallington, NJ also has a cab-over rescue like the one pictured above. Sharp lookin' rig.

Sparrowbush (Orange Co.) has a couple of monster Autocars like that.  They've had quite a few problems with one of them, though.

Pics:

Sparrowbush E-844

1996 Autocar/Central States

1750 GPM pump

1250 gallon tank

40 Gal. foam

844sparrowbush-s.jpg

1989 Autocar/ 4 Guys

1998 Wildfire refurb

pumper/tanker

1250 GPM pump

2500 gallon tank