Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thats what you call a wetdown people!

58 posts in this topic

It wasn't even AT the firehouse. It was the parking lot of a large office complex nearby. Plenty of room for everyone, and some decent photo ops, too. Some were saying it was the best one they've ever seen, but for me, it didn't even crack the top 5.

Now, if Wayne's on July 8th even comes CLOSE to living up to it's hype, THAT will be one for the ages! :rolleyes::D

Wasn't able to take in this one, but was at the Rutherford Rescue wetdown a few years back and the Special Services unit wetdown aswell also at the same Office Complex. Was a perfect spot, but also have to keep in mind that permission to use the property is easier for them, I don't know about up here (Beverage Serving) a topic. But yes, very disappointed I couldn't make it.

Wow, what a waste of time, people and equiptment

Wow, what a waste of time, people and equiptment

waist of time? How do u figure that. Where else do u see that much fun.

niteworkers is right at least the trucks werent inside the firehouse and there was alot of water thrown. :D

definately looking forward to waynes on july 8th andy!! :P

Wayne wayne I will indeed try to make this one too the one for the rescue Rocked BTW Englewood Cliffs returned the favor and attended the rutherford Wetdown rutherford Engine 4 came to ours in 2004

Are there any up comimg wetdowns in Westchester County. I know that Bedford Village Fire Department had theirs last weekend, but do any other fire companies have one coming up????

waist of time? How do u figure that. Where else do u see that much fun.

That's the "standard" response for anyone from: 1) a career dept., 2) a "big" city, or 3) an area of the country where they don't have wetdowns. No surprise here.

I wonder what they'd think of guys like us who actually venture outside of our home county to attend such events? On second thought, maybe I don't want to know!

sould i tell about the time we traveled to point pleasant beach nj's parade wet down :wub: Not a waste in my book

I know in Putnam, our fd's dont have wet downs, for what reasons, Im not sure- possibly insurance and what not... But when I went up to my Uncles dept for their wet down, it was probally one of the greatest times I've ever had- great bonding w/ other firefighters and depts, alot of food, and one Huge Water Fight... I def agree with everyone above- that it is a great day and everyone has an awsome time.. I just wish depts down here would actually have them instead of "Drydowns"...

I think wetdowns are a nice thing. There should certainly be a ceremony for a new piece of equiptment that is as expensive and essential as a rig. Its also a nice social event. However, the pictures depict overkill. Multiple lines, a ton of apparatus. I think public perception should be a concern too.

I think wetdowns are a nice thing.  There should certainly be a ceremony for a new piece of equiptment that is as expensive and essential as a rig.  Its also a nice social event.  However, the pictures depict overkill.  Multiple lines, a ton of apparatus.  I think public perception should be a concern too.

A possible reason for a ton of apparatus is that depts coming in to so call" christan the new trucks"... all depends on how many departments received invitations- thats if they were sent out.. usually with the word out of a wet down, a dept may send a truck or two, and who knows how many departments come- like i said before, its a great bonding time for all departments... Multiple lines- usually there is abig water fight between the deptartments, at least thats how ive seen it done- where the host dept will go against the incoming units, and the main purpous is to drench the you know what out of each other... correct me if im wrong on any of the above info I stated...

I think wetdowns are a nice thing.  There should certainly be a ceremony for a new piece of equiptment that is as expensive and essential as a rig.  Its also a nice social event.  However, the pictures depict overkill.  Multiple lines, a ton of apparatus.  I think public perception should be a concern too.

Man...... get a life!!! Are you in administration? You should be!! Some one call RESCUE.... some one above has a stick impaled!!!

Man...... get a life!!!  Are you in administration?  You should be!!  Some one call RESCUE.... some one above has a stick impaled!!!

Guys Take it Easy, I agree with enjoying ourselves and also enjoy "Jersey Style" Wetdowns. But....he also kinda has a point. I Love a GOOD Wetdown but entitled to an opioion.

That's the "standard" response for anyone from:  1) a career dept., 2) a "big" city, or 3) an area of the country where they don't have wetdowns.  No surprise here. 

I wonder what they'd think of guys like us who actually venture outside of our home county to attend such events?  On second thought, maybe I don't want to know!

Nothing like a little prejudice to affirm one's ignorance................enjoy your wetdowns this summer.......

Now THAT is something I'd like to have a hand in. Nothing like a little foam to christen a new rig. BTW - New E119 Coming soon - although I think the Company is going to make it a "Dry-Down.'' :wub: - Panzies, lol!

I have a Mac, so I can't enjoy most of Oradell's little features there. Damn Windows files! However, while they put on a show every time out, I don't know if they'll ever top what they did in Wallington. The stuff was waist deep.....on grown men! :o

Or Paramus.....the Hi-Ex unit was perched atop the bucket of the tower ladder. Can you say Aerial Foam Ops?!?

I hope to be able to attend a wetdown or two in Westchester, and maybe Long Island this year. I can only imagine what they're like down there, if their parades are any indication.

Hopefully everyone stays safe and responsible at this year's events so that a good time can be had by all.

I have a Mac, so I can't enjoy most of Oradell's little features there.  Damn Windows files! However, while they put on a show every time out, I don't know if they'll ever top what they did in Wallington.  The stuff was waist deep.....on grown men!  :o

Walington5.JPG

*photo courtesy of www.oradellfire.org

Edited by 201/65

how many people you figure got lost in there!!!! great picture!!

What an absolute waste of foam. Looking at that picture makes me think of that Newsday artlice from a few months back. I guess it doesn't only apply to Long Island.

I wonder who is going to explain to the taxpayers that they need to buy more foam because they had to use it for a wetdown...

Speak o' the devil, and it appears. Wallington, that is.

Ummm.......that isn't "real" foam. It's dish soap. :o

IVORY i believe :o Oradell "home of the foam" They do put on a great Foaming LOL they used Cliffside Parks own Squirt to feed the foam machine Last year You have to see the little Kid's when they annouce "its time for foam Btw witch Oradell Engine Supplied the water This time in Rutherford?

The were fed from someone else's engine.. Not sure who though..

That's the "standard" response for anyone from:  1) a career dept., 2) a "big" city, or 3) an area of the country where they don't have wetdowns.  No surprise here. 

I wonder what they'd think of guys like us who actually venture outside of our home county to attend such events?  On second thought, maybe I don't want to know!

How about a response from a 26 year member of the volunteer service...in a time and age where we ( volunteer depts) are under the microscope on how we operate, spend money, etc do you think it is wise to have all that apparatus which should be ready to respond to fires sitting in one area shooting foam? There are departments in this country that can barely afford to keep up 20+ year old apparatus and they waste foam like this?

I am not knocking wet downs. I attended one 2 weeks ago. Very simple but nice. No foam, water just a nice get together to wish a dept good luck on thier new rig. What's wrong with that???

Oradell's foam trailer was feed by Rutherford old engine 2....who was on a hydrant the whole time..... :o....not a waste at all

Great photo, looks like lots of fun (for adults, since the kids might have been swallowed by the foam....). BUT, who cleaned that street after the event and, how would that rig have moved if dispatched while drowning in its own foam ??? :o

The parking lot was cleared of foam by the units who came in afterwards.. The entire dept was out of service for the wetdown, and they had arranged cover in case of any calls..

Was it FOAM, or was it DISHSOAP????