Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
31TruckiePCFD

PCFD's New Ladder 31 Coming Soon

32 posts in this topic

Going out to bid next week for a NEW 105' Rearmount Smeal Ladder Truck. This new ladder will replace the 100' Seagrave Tiller.

Going out to bid next week for a NEW 105' Rearmount Smeal Ladder Truck. This new ladder will replace the 100' Seagrave Tiller.

How many manufacturers are going to bid on a Smeal Ladder?

Are they looking to get away from the tillers altogether? If so what are the reasons? Will the Tower ladder become a "Second due" or spare rig?

Too bad they are not going for a tiller, Smeal just started to build one. TO HHH&H, members, our Smeal pumper is great, just like anything new a few minor things had to be squared away but its a dream. Please get the Spartan cab, much better than the HME in my opinion but also it depends what is needed for your specs. Jim Feehen id a good guy to work with, knows his stuff in and out.

Good luck!

How many manufacturers are going to bid on a Smeal Ladder? by ESJ1810

ESJ1810, beleive it or not a lot of other manufacturers will bid on a truck. When we went for our pumper, seven other manufacturters bid on the truck, though some did not meet the full spec but were compriable. Needless to say Smeal came in as the lower bid. However in the next town a few years ago, the ladder was speced to be a Semal, but Pierce matched every spec and came in lower than Smeal did. Competition is high

Edited by IzzyEng4

good luck with it guys.

good luck with it. I thought the next rig was going to be seagrave anyway I hope the new rig does the job like the old one

I'd personally like to see something of this effect in PCFDs HQ in the future... but im sure Harry Howards new ladder will come out just fine:

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/other...New%20Haven.htm

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/other...ield%20Park.htm

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/other...au/Freeport.htm

http://www.htfd3.org/Truck.htm

you get the idea...

Edited by JBJ1202

I thought you guys spent a whole bunch to have the ladder refurbished...so why now replace it?

the truck is going out to bid in july. the specs will be available for review by manufactures starting next week. we would like to get a smeal and are very impressed with it. but as everyone knows, the contract will be awarded to who meets 100% of the specs and has the lowest bid. the tower ladder is our second due truck if a qualified driver and tillerman are in the firehouse. if there is only one driver ,the tower rolls first due.

ladder 31 had the main section of the ladder replaced last year in an emergency. the money was spent but we did't want it repaired since we were in the process of researching a new ladder anyway so why waste the money .but the village wanted it repaired. basically it was a temporary fix. the truck is 25 years old and is tired. we went with a rear mount but most of us still want a tller. it's all about how much money that we thought we could get to spend on a truck since a new tiller is over $800,000.

I am sure whatever Port Chester gets will do the job. Smeal builds very good trucks. Tillered ladder trucks cost alot of money and two drivers are not always available, so I think you are better off with a rear mount ladder truck then with a tiller.

Heard that Mt. Kisco already signed the contract for a 105' Rearmount Smeal Ladder Truck just like Port Chester. Yonkers is getting 3 more Smeal Ladders similar to what they have now. Smeal seems to be making there mark in the county!

Im not in the ladder company but i have a feeling that the newer tillers seem to be a bit longer then the one currently housed at HQ and we all know having a big enough space to park your new rig is important. ;)

I will miss my tiller, but you have to look what is best for the company and for the village(s). L31 has done its job and very well, its time to let her go. Time to look for the future. Smeal makes very good products.

Hey Portchester; maybe you could ask the chiefs and the village board if you could put the old tiller in the Fireman's home in hudson in the museum, up there. It would be a great asset for everone to see. and then you have a peice of history still with the department. It's just a thought.

Edited by ccbub31

i am gunna mis tillering that truck its soo much funn but tis time for a new rig like other people say she is tired

Just curious, if Smeal does win the bid, which chassis will be used, HME or Spartan?

so l31, and tl2 are all in the same company? (harry howard?). is the poningo st sign gunna go on the new ladder?

Spartan cab 8 man cab and yes the poningo st. sign will go on the new ladder!

Spartan cab 8 man cab and yes the poningo st. sign will go on the new ladder!

GOOD CHOICE!!!!! Did Jim tell you about our pumper on the Spartan??????

speaking of smeal is there any more word if mount kisco i getting a new smeal aerial to replace l-43 and two new pumpers

What happened to the old Ossining Ladder 41 / your Ladder 39(?) that was in Port Chester for a while?

Ossining put a picture of the new ladder 41 and the old one on here not too long ago. We used that rig when ladder 31 had to get a fly section replaced. Ladder 31 was out for awhile, Port Chester thanks Ossining for the use of there ladder. I wonder where it is now?

speaking of smeal is there any more word if mount kisco i getting a new smeal aerial to replace l-43 and two new pumpers

i think i heard that mt kisco was ready to get a smeal just like the one that we hope to get (port chester) and were getting two pierce pumpers.

Ossining put a picture of the new ladder 41 and the old one on here not too long ago. We used that rig when ladder 31 had to get a fly section replaced. Ladder 31 was out for awhile, Port Chester thanks Ossining for the use of there ladder. I wonder where it is now?

It was Sold to a Collector from Yorktown and is being stored upstate. Did u guys like using that rig, I loved it personally, so small and skinny. U could get that thing anywhere. Also Moved to, had alot of Character.

i loved having that truck around it was a beast it sounded awsome and the best part about the truck were the air horns there soo loud mann... thanks again for letting us borrow it greatly appreciated

Ossining's Maxim is now privately owned.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize there was a second page here, and the question had already been answered.

Edited by AndyC3J

The old ladder 41 was repowered and had alot of power to it, it did sound like a beast was coming down the street, the truck got some looks too. It was nice to use a different piece of equipment. I hope the collector takes good care of it.

Good luck to HHH&L , going with Smeal is a good thing. They build a pretty sturdy body and thier construction features are good. I was the chairman for our '94 Spartan /Smeal pumper and it has been a good vehicle. Jimmy F is a great guy to work with, he knows his business. When I went to the factory I was impressed with the quality and pride the workers take in thier product.

I was there the day they finished White Plains reamount. I was really impressed in the aerial manufacturing process.

When you go for lunch while at the factory, go for the BBQ pork special !