Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Gas Tanker Explosions: Yonkers and White Plains

31 posts in this topic

Recently I was surfing the web, and came across a page containing an article about a propane tanker explosion that occured on Interstate 287 in White Plains back in the mid 90's. Also, I found an article about at gasoline tanker truck explosion on central avenue in Yonkers in 1997. I was just wondering if anyone on this board knew more about either incident, or had a first hand account on scene. Both incidents aparently required "alot of mutual aid" and cleanup, and were so significant, that they changed laws with regards to the transport of those types of materials. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

*On a side note, Yonkers Contracting Corp. is now starting the reconstruction project of the bridge and surrounding areas on 287

Edited by BedfordFire

Yeah that definitely rings a bell. It was obviously all over the news, but I can't really recall specifics. Please post the link to the page you found.

Nevermind, I just remembered what it was all about. The incident happened on July 27, 1994. Here are some links:

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1995/HAR9502.htm

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/ti...geo&match=exact

http://hazmat.dot.gov/regs/rules/final/97_2133.htm

http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/White_Plains_draft_report.pdf

Edited by res6cue

Recently I was surfing the web, and came across a page containing an article about a propane tanker explosion that occured on Interstate 287 in White Plains back in the mid 90's. Also, I found an article about at gasoline tanker truck explosion on central avenue in Yonkers in 1997. I was just wondering if anyone on this board knew more about either incident, or had a first hand account on scene. Both incidents aparently required "alot of mutual aid" and cleanup, and were so significant, that they changed laws with regards to the transport of those types of materials. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

*On a side note, Yonkers Contracting Corp. is now starting the reconstruction project of the bridge and surrounding areas on 287

Check out http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1998/HAR9802S.pdf for the report on the gasoline tanker accident Yonkers and http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/White_Plains_draft_report.pdf for the propane tanker accident in White Plains.

yonkers incident as follows:car making legal u turn from northbound lane to southbound lanejust north of i-87 overpass.car actually turned directly under a 9000 gasoline tanker and wedged under tank with tanker coming to rest under i-87 .driver of truck attempted to help other driver but could not as tanker has lit up.i believe it went to 3 alarms as the entire 1st and 2nd alarms were involved with some heavy foam evolutions.due to heavy fire under overpass,i-87 was buckeled and had to be rebuilt.just a note the third alarm(i was part of) was sent to look for wrecks on 87 because cars and trucks were actually driving thru the fire that was coming up from expansion joints on the bridge,some spots as high as 10 feet.white plains incident involved prpane truck that hit overpass when driver fell asleep.Ill leave those details to the boys from the plains or greenburgh.

July 27, 1994

I was on my way home from the Billy Joel and Elton John Concert.

What a mess on 287!!!

I beleive that the one on I-287 took out half of an overpass. There is still part of an overpast, westbond lane, missing. I think it was from this incident.

The White Plains incident was a propane tractor trailer transport carrying some 10,000 gallons of product. The driver fell asleep at the wheel and the rig crashed into the Grant Ave overpass bridge abutment causing the mess.

It was determined that the driver had put in more hours then legally allowed causing the driver to be fatigued.

Mutual aid response was comprised of departments from as far north as Millwood.

Edited by TRUCK6018

White Plains Incident sent the tank into a neighborhood first responders asked dispatch to contact West Co Airport to see if they had a plane down.

Yonkers Incident: A doctor was driving south on CPA by Bouulder creek and crashed into a tanker that was turning by the underpass (used to be a turn around that is no longer because of the incident)

I was working for both those incidents. Greenville FD sent an engine off the get go and we sent our ladder later in the incident. E151 worked with WPFD units on fully involved structures on the south side of I287. The whole southern county was there that night. The Yonkers job we relocated E151 to Station 14 during their operations.

Adding to the topic of tankers, this goes back 25-30 years ago. A gasoline tanker coming down the old 1 mile 9a hill in Ossining (circa 1976-1979) lost it on the bottom curve (that's when 1 mile hill was only a single lane), plowed through the guard rail onto the southbound lanes, and exploded into flames from the guard rail rupturing the tank. I believe the driver did not make it. Burning fuel flowed into the croton river just south of the old croton river bridge. I even believe there was a second incident in the same spot in the mid to late 80's. Maybe some of the Ossining-Croton ol'timers recall more details. THE FIN

Anyone got photos from ANY of these incidents?

Don't forget the Braircliff incident a couple of years ago too.

I was on both the WP and the Briarcliff Jobs....

WP w/R-36 at 18 years old.

Briarcliff w/E-247 as Captain

Unless you've actually seen it in person, it's hard to imagine what a 9000gal tanker looks like after it's come apart.

I'd prefer to not have to see that kind of damage again.

I'm really going to date myself.

When I was a young rookie Tarrytown Firefighter, in the summer of 1965, we were dispatched to the New York State Thruway Authority maintenance garage, adjacent to the Tappan Zee Bridge toll plaza for a truck fire.

A two Engine Company minor alarm response was transmitted.

Upon arrival we found a gasoline tank truck, with its cab fully involved, an adjoining 8 bay maintenance garage involved, as well as a few State Police troop cars.

Chief Marty Annicherico immediately had a box alarm (3 additional Engine Companies and one Ladder Company) transmitted and had a mutual aid Engine Company relocate for standby.

Obviously our primary concern was the gasoline truck tank. Numerous lines were stretched, some dedicated to cooling the tank and the others to suppression.

It was quite a scary situation for a while, but eventually the fires darkened and were finally brought under control.

I do have some glossy photos taken by a newspaper photographer. I will have them scanned and will post them.

The night of the I-287 job, I was dispatching for Empress down in Yonkers, when all of a sudden 60 Control pops up on Empress's frequency with the following (according to my failing memory):

"60 Control to Empress Central, we have a report of a small airliner down north of I-287, multiple fires and patients on the ground. How many ambulances can you send me?"

My dispatch partner and I looked at each other with an "oh sh$t" expression and then ended up sending multiple units, including the entire off-going BLS transport shift, and a supervisor, who ended up lost somewhere for four hours.

Marty Gallagher was working 60 that night....I remember trying to get more info as the night went on, and how utterly collected he was as the radio traffic was so chaotic.

Funny I just gave a lesson in FLIP school on 9/5/06 and spoke about the 287 propane accident. I was looking for the article on it. Oh well 1 day to late

Edited by fireax233

Funny I just gave a lesson in FLIP school on 9/5/06 and spoke about the 287 propane accident. I was looking for the article on it. Oh well 1 day to late

Bob803 is correct it originally came in as a plane crash

I responded with a few friends from Port Chester when we heard multiple departments toned out for an aircraft down near I-287. We were passed by a Trooper like we were not moving at all. When we arrived on the scene, it looked like a bomb had gone off. There was fire everywhere. A friend of mine saw Lt Kerr (Greenville) and he asked us if we had gear which we did and he put us to work. It was a very long ,tiring night that I will never forget.

The night of the I-287 job, I was dispatching for Empress down in Yonkers, when all of a sudden 60 Control pops up on Empress's frequency with the following (according to my failing memory):

"60 Control to Empress Central, we have a report of a small airliner down north of I-287, multiple fires and patients on the ground.  How many ambulances can you send me?"

My dispatch partner and I looked at each other with an "oh sh$t" expression and then ended up sending multiple units, including the entire off-going BLS transport shift, and a supervisor, who ended up lost somewhere for four hours. 

Marty Gallagher was working 60 that night....I remember trying to get more info as the night went on, and how utterly collected he was as the radio traffic was so chaotic.

I was one of the EMTs just getting off work at Empress when Scooter ran out of dispatch and shouted "Nobody leaves! There was a plane crash in White Plains."

We all hopped back in our ambulances and boogied up there. On the way there we were updated that it was a propane truck. (We then tossed our cigarettes out the windows) My partner and I were in the first ambulance to reach the south side of the scene. There were basically two MCIs. One on each side of 287. We transported three patients to White Plains Hosp.

the deck of my house in nwp has a great view into white plains, and when the tanker crashed into the overpass my parents thought that the city of white plains was under attack. i was only 4 at the time, but i remember waking up and seeing the entire horizon bright orange from the fireball.

Tarrytown was toned out for mutual aid to White Plains and sent two engines. Our Mack had the open jumpseats so as we approached the crash scene on I287, I was able to standup and look over the cab. The orange glow in the sky ahead was unbelievable. At that point we had no idea what we were heading into.

As we approach the overpass we started driving over all of the broken concrete from the bridge pier. Besides the fact that the tanker was shot up into the neighbor hood, the heat from the initial fireball cause the concrete piers to explode.

We proceeded to put out what fire was remaining of the tractor, and then at the request of the troopers, covered the body of the deceased driver.

The County gave out appreciation awards later on.

Any conversation I have ever had with anyone involved was nothing but positive. Each and every agency/department involved came together just as mutual aid should.

I'm really going to date myself.

When I was a young rookie Tarrytown Firefighter, in the summer of 1965, we were dispatched to the New York State Thruway Authority maintenance garage, adjacent to the Tappan Zee Bridge toll plaza for a truck fire.

A two Engine Company minor alarm response was transmitted.

Upon arrival we found a gasoline tank truck, with its cab fully involved, an adjoining 8 bay maintenance garage involved, as well as a few State Police troop cars.

Chief Marty Annicherico immediately had a box alarm (3 additional Engine Companies and one Ladder Company) transmitted and had a mutual aid Engine Company relocate for standby.

Obviously our primary concern was the gasoline truck tank.  Numerous lines were stretched, some dedicated to cooling the tank and the others to suppression.

It was quite a scary situation for a while, but eventually the fires darkened and were finally brought under control.

I do have some glossy photos taken by a newspaper photographer.  I will have them scanned and will post them.

Were you involved with the General Motors propane tank incident?

huzzie I was.

It was a cool november night I was in ladder 38 Pocantico hook and ladder. we responded from headquarters with 5 or 6 members on the apparatus. I am not sure it might have been monthly meeting night. Rescue Hose responded and was hoooked to a hydrant and about to feed our ladderpipe. the ladder was raised and extended, myself and another firefighter were about to go and strap in the hose that ran to the ladder pipe. all of a sudden there was a silence that was deffining, everything stood still---- seemed like a hour but it was only seconds. A brillent flash of light and a roar ---we didnt know what the hell happened but we dove to the offside of the apparatus, I remember hanging on to the running boards and seeing nothing but fire from under the truck. Can remember looking at Rescue Hose and seeing the Driver( Fred Gross Sr) jumping in the enging and driving away. Our driver (Wiliam Kenyon) was still on the turn table. He recieved burns on his body. The only thing that saved the rest of us was the running boards. the whole side of the ladder was burned all the turn out coats/ all the boots/ all the equipment that was stored under the ladder--all burned in a matterof seconds. i am nnot sure where the other "North Tarrytown" apparatus were at the time of the incident, Union hose might have been blocked by the building and Columbis Hose might have been on Beekman Ave relaying. all I know is that it was one long night to remember--so many years ago.

The "old timers" at Phenix Hose like to tell the stories of that fire. I'm told three guys crawled in and were able to shutoff a valve and save the entire area from an explosion. I'm told it would have wiped out most of Beekman Ave.

Were you involved with the General Motors propane tank incident?

Yes, I drove Hope Hose's 1952 Arhens Fox to "North Tarrytown FD" headquarters on Beekman Ave for standby.

Tarrytown's other units were at the scene, which I don't believe had ever happened before or since.

488 your showing your age like me--- like fine wine we get better with age.

I do know it was a long night it was a valve that they had to shut off. some brave men did it cant remember their names I believe they were from General Motors and no FD personnel but im not really sure

Anyone got photos from ANY of these incidents?

I have the Gannett Newspaper from the next day and the New York Times with a picture of me treating three burn victims.Several people walked up to firefighters with 1st & 2nd degree burns and going into shock.

July 27, 1994 I drove Fairview Rescue 3 to the scene.One of the newer members of the dept asked "does this happen a lot?"Well, every so often Tankers cause major fires here in Westchester.

Edited by TR54

The driver in the I-287 incident was a young kid, like 21 or 22. As mentioned, it's believed he fell asleep. If I remember right, I think there was some fire damage to a few houses as well.

In the I-87 Yonkers incident, the Thruway Authority had to demolish the overpass and put up a temporary one until a new overpass could be built.

Does anybody have any pictures of the incident? Im useing them for a project in school...citations will be included