"Bucky" Surrenders to Police !

23 posts in this topic

[attachmentid=1171]

[attachmentid=1172]

AP Photo

N.Y. manhunt ends with surrender

By CAROLYN THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

12 minutes ago

A fugitive suspected of fatally shooting a New York state trooper and wounding two others while on the run for more than five months surrendered to police who had cornered him in a cornfield just over the Pennsylvania state line on Friday night.

Ralph "Bucky" Phillips walked out with his hands up, ending the state's largest manhunt for the 44-year-old career thief who broke out of a Buffalo-area jail in April, New York State Police Investigator Gary Colon said.

The arrest capped a frantic day of searching that started with troopers firing at Phillips as he dodged authorities in a wooded area.

For hours, police had methodically moved closer to Phillips. Just before nightfall, 25 SWAT officers and 12 dogs swept through a cornfield where he was thought to be hiding. He gave himself up around 8 p.m., police said.

Phillips, who had threatened "suicide by cop" and once promised to "splatter pig meat all over Chautauqua County," was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list.

Since his escape, he has twisted and turned his way throughout southwestern New York and northwestern Pennsylvania, eluding a huge manhunt, stealing cars, burglarizing homes and camps and relying on a network of acquaintances to stay free, police said.

He may have stolen 41 guns from a New York gun shop, authorities said.

A U.S. Marshals Service task force joined the investigation Wednesday and had about 30 investigators on the ground, commanding officer Lenny DePaul said.

He said the agencies were proceeding deliberately to prevent any accidents: "Everybody's in the woods and wearing different uniforms and everything else, and this guy is shooting back. It doesn't make it any easier for us."

Friday's search started shortly before 2 a.m. in Pennsylvania when a police officer tried to pull over a stolen car. After a short chase, the car crashed and the driver, identified by police as Phillips, fled into the woods.

A half-hour later, Phillips stole a second car and drove back into New York, where troopers located him and launched a second chase, authorities said.

Phillips jumped out of the moving car and ducked into woods, zigzagging back and forth between New York and Pennsylvania, authorities said. Police dogs tracked his scent for several hours until he was spotted by two troopers, Bennett said.

As troopers approached, Phillips wheeled around with a pistol in his hand but did not fire, police said. One of the troopers fired an undisclosed number of shots as Phillips disappeared into the thick woods.

Phillips became the subject of a huge search after allegedly shooting a state trooper near Elmira in June. The trooper survived.

Then, authorities said, he ambushed and shot two New York state troopers on Aug. 31 as they staked out the home of Phillips' former girlfriend. One trooper died on Sunday; the other was in critical condition.

post-839-1157764613.jpg

post-839-1157765403.jpg

Edited by hoss

Thank god they caught him. Now he will sit in jail for the rest of his life which is where he belongs. They should go for the death penalty with him.

I hope the bring his a** down to Sing Sing and fire up "Old Smokey"

Thank god they got that ba$+ard

He deserves to get the book thrown at him....lock him up and throw away the key

"Bucky" Williams killed a trooper and apparently had or has no remorse about it and that is why he deserves the maximum that the state of New York will allow

[attachmentid=1173]

[attachmentid=1174]

credit: WABC TV NY

post-839-1157766064.jpg

post-839-1157766074.jpg

Maybe he'll try to escape and get what he deserves: a few rounds in the head.

Edited by DOC22

Wow, awesome news that they cought this SOB finally! I was actually talking about this a-hole at work today and hoping that our fine men and women of law enforcement would catch him.

As stated, this white-trash POS has no regard for human life, as shown by his utter disrespect and hate toward law enforcement officers.

I hope to god that this guy gets what he deserves! Unfortunately, we are much, much too liberal in this country and cannot put him through any "cruel and unusual punishment."

The best we can hope for is that the state sends him to hell by lethal injection and that is just too good a way to go for a sorry low life like "Bucky" Phillips. The next best thing would be life in prison, but then we end up paying for this cop-killer to rot in jail! The justice system...go figure?

Just glad to hear they caught this piece of crap after their tireless manhunt!

May Trooper Longobardo rest in peace and may his family, friends and the NYSP have some closure knowing that this murderer is in custody.

Job well done by all law enforcement agencies involved!

Thank god we got em! I hope this b4$74rd gets what he deserves.

[attachmentid=1173]

[attachmentid=1174]

credit: WABC TV NY

I just want to know why didn't they shoot? blink.gifwacko.gif

12 dogs togewther in a search........

THAT would make ME give up for sure.......

I think it shows GREAT professionalism that they didn't shoot him.... Hell, any of us would have offed him, no one would be more deserving....

They should eradicate that piece of f***ing $hit off the face of the earth. Lock him up and throw away the key? No way. Nice needle in his arm and adios pal. He will be a hero in the criminal community for being an outlaw.

I think the big guy in the back of the car with good ol' Bucky should claim he got bit, then kick the pi$$ out of him.....

Whomever mentioned Sing Sing and the "Ol' Somkey" - I'm in!

[attachmentid=1175]

credit: NYTimes

[attachmentid=1177]

credit: David Duprey/ AP Photo

" Bucky" was fired upon by one NYS Trooper (see below):

September 9, 2006

Fugitive Wanted in Shootings of 3 Troopers Surrenders

By MICHAEL WILSON and DAVID STABA

DUNKIRK, N.Y., Sept. 8 —

The New York Times

The fugitive Ralph J. Phillips surrendered to the police on Friday night, ending a five-month manhunt in which one state trooper was killed in an ambush and two were wounded.

About 8 p.m., Mr. Phillips, hands in the air, emerged from the woods across the New York State line in northern Pennsylvania, where he had been cornered in a one-square-mile swath of tall brush.

His surrender came just minutes before the search was to be halted for the night, the New York State Police said. Mr. Phillips, 44, was quickly taken out of the woods near the town of Akeley, Pa., in a police car while state troopers cheered inside a command tent.

Mr. Phillips, also known as Bucky, slumped with his head against the rear seat, his hair long, thin and tangled. He appeared to be exhausted, but unhurt.

“Bucky Philips, as I told you before, he could run, but he couldn’t hide, and he is in custody,†said Superintendent Wayne E. Bennett of the state police.

In the previous hours, he was chased by cars, tracked by helicopters and bloodhounds and fired at by a trooper, and finally surrounded.

Many of the people who lived nearby, as well as Mr. Phillips’s friends and relatives, had speculated that he would not be taken alive, and they expressed relief when he was.

After the capture, residents clapped and shouted along the dark roads.

Less than an hour before the capture, as dusk approached, the authorities said that the search would be suspended when it grew dark, and that troopers would secure the area with a tight perimeter of officers and cars.

The searchers got a break at 1:55 a.m. on Friday when a sheriff’s deputy from Warren County, Pa., chased a stolen car. The car crashed into a tree, and the driver fled into the woods, the police said.

At 2:25 a.m., a second car in the area was reported stolen. The police saw that car about 20 minutes later and gave chase.

This time, the driver jumped out of the car while it was still moving, the police said. Again, he scrambled into the woods.

Hundreds of troopers and officers from other agencies swarmed into the area. The police found evidence in the car — exactly what was not disclosed Friday — that was used to give bloodhounds the suspect’s scent.

“We need scent,†Superintendent Bennett said. “It doesn’t get any better than that.â€

“What occurred with the stolen cars was spontaneous — there was no time to put any plan into effect,†Superintendent Bennett said on Friday afternoon in the first of three afternoon news conferences.

“That’s an advantage to us. He didn’t have any time to contact anyone or get to a safe house.â€

At 9:10 a.m., two troopers and a police dog came upon a man they identified as Mr. Phillips from behind, a short distance away.

At the sound of the dog’s growl, Mr. Phillips spun around with a pistol in his left hand, pointing it at the troopers, and one of the troopers shot at him, the police said.

Mr. Phillips did not fire. He fled, and it was unclear at the time whether he had been struck by the bullet. But he was uninjured, and unarmed, when he surrendered, the police said.

About six hours later, around 3 p.m., there were two more sightings of Mr. Phillips within 30 minutes, one by a trooper and one by a civilian. He had been running in one instance and crawling through brush in the other, Superintendent Bennett said.

Mr. Phillips had crisscrossed creeks in the area in an apparent attempt to confuse the police dogs tracking his scent, the police said.

The searchers closed in on him from the ground and above.

“He got to the point where there wasn’t any place to go,†Superintendent Bennett said. “You get to the point where there’s a helicopter over your head and people with high-powered rifles coming toward you. The game is up.â€

In April, Mr. Phillips used a can opener to pry open a hole in a kitchen ceiling and escape from jail.

His criminal background, while long, included no violent crimes, and so the June 10 shooting of Trooper Sean M. Brown in Chemung County surprised residents who knew Mr. Phillips.

Trooper Brown was shot in the abdomen, and his injuries were the least severe of the three troopers struck.

By the end of the manhunt, the reward for information leading to Mr. Phillips’s capture had grown to $425,000, and he had been added to the F.B.I.’s 10 Most Wanted List, just three names down from Osama bin Laden.

Seven people have been charged with aiding Mr. Phillips during his flight, including his daughter, her boyfriend and her mother,

“I would have to believe he’s somewhat exhausted,†Superintendent Bennett said after the surrender. “You constantly have to look around. You constantly have to look over your shoulder. I would say he’s exhausted. We put a big chase on him today.â€

post-839-1157813371.jpg

post-839-1157833042.jpg

Edited by hoss

Unfortunately the book is too good for him..Maybe a nice hot shower with a hair drier will do the trick plus save the taxpayers millions to keep this scumbag alive...

mad.gif I cant belive they didnt finish this guy off someones gotta do something with this piece of s@#t mad.gif

hopefully he will be repeatedly gang raped and murdered inthe showers at Greenhaven smile.gif

NYSP and all other agencies involved did the right thing. They could have easily took him out but they stayed professional and did not lower themselves to his level.

Having said that, nothing more would make me happy then to see him die a slow agonizing death.

I think the big guy in the back of the car with good ol' Bucky should claim he got bit, then kick the pi$$ out of him.....

Whomever mentioned Sing Sing and the "Ol' Somkey" - I'm in!

I don't know how many of you remember but when Alex Mengel was shot and killed by a trooper on the Taconic while transporting him back to Westchester to face murder charges for the execution of a County cop.

Trooper in the back seat said that Mengel attacked him, had bite marks to prove it, and the front seat trooper turned and shot him, fatally.

Fortunately for the State Police a witness in the car behind them corroborated the story. Said he saw a struggle, the car swerved a little, and then there was a flash.

We can only hope that something similar happens to this piece of S4!t!!

when was the last time that someone was put to death in NYS?

i hope that they fry bucky.

when was the last time that someone was put to death in NYS?

i hope that they fry bucky.

Last time I checked, the Court of Appeals ruled that the death penalty statute was constitutional - something about problems with the way it is explained to jurors or something. Since then, there hasn't even been a death penalty prosecution let alone an execution.

I don't think NYS has executed anyone since 1976 or so...

Right now there are only two inmates on death row and it is unlikely they'll be executed anytime soon!

He deserves the death penalty, this guy is a ruthless killer with no regard for human life. Life in prison aint gonna cut it for this guy, he should die.