Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCurtis

Westchester Testing?

21 posts in this topic

How do they go about the testing for joining a department in westchester? Is it one test for the county and then they assign you? or do you do the test for individual departments? If so, does anybody know when the next Tests will be? Thanks

Most cities have seperate tests, and towns and villages use one test. I am sure the next few posts will be more detailed, also residency unfortunately is a big factor in westchester. Only 2 or 3 places hire non residents.

Most cities have seperate tests, and towns and villages use one test.  I am sure the next few posts will be more detailed, also residency unfortunately is a big factor in westchester.  Only 2 or 3 places hire non residents.

Over the past few academies, the following departments have looked to the county list for candidates (county list meaning that individual town/village residency is not required...though residents can still obviously have an advantage in any hiring depending upon the individual department):

Scarsdale FD

Town of Mamaroneck FD

Pelham Manor FD

Larchmont FD

Ryebrook FD

The next County test is (should be) in June 2007.

The Towns and Villages in Westchester, plus the cities of Rye and Peekskill use the same written test, scored with block grading. Scores are based in groups of 5 starting at 100, 95, 90 etc. down to 70. When the scores come out, each Department gets a list from West. County Civil Service office with the scores of their residents. The handful mentioned above, along with Lake Mohegan I believe, do sometimes get a County list also, which has everyone and their score who took and passed the test from throughout the County, as these towns don't require residency. To be considered a resident in most places, you need to establish residency before the applications come out, which is usually 3 months prior to the test date. When a Dept. needs men, most first conduct an interview, then send the candidates to the County physical. After passing the physical, the Dept. makes it's selection, and off to the academy you go......

That's just my basic idea from past experience.

The 4 cities; Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, and White Plains do their own testing and physicals, scored to the hundreth of a point, and they're pretty serious about residency. Only Yonkers runs it's own academy, the other cities send their men to a County academy class.

Did I miss anything???

Hope I helped.

Joe

Did I miss anything???

Hope I helped.

Joe

New Ro also runs its own class if i am not mistaken other then that your pretty much right on the mark.

New Ro also runs its own class if i am not mistaken other then that your pretty much right on the mark.

Best move on FDNR to run their own Class. I'd like to see my Dept. institute the same thing eventually. I think the guys are better off trained. Just my two cents. wink.gif

New Ro is gonna have some big classes soon, keep an eye out for their test.

New Ro Is strict on Residency though right

New Ro Is strict on Residency though right

Very.

Don't bother if you are not a resident.

If you are serious about getting on somewhere, don't listen to people who say don't bother. Yes it is highly unlikely that you will get that job w/o rsidency, but it is great to take these tests and only improve your ability to take them. If you only take one test, and never bother with anything else, then you probably won't do well. Yes most of the test are easy, the more you take the better you do. Also since we are on the subject of testing. Another important piece of advice, is to use ALL of the time that is alotted to you. Go over the test multiple times making sure you have read and understood the questions. After all one question can make or break you.

New Ro Just had a test, they just gave the practice ajility, and the actual is in Oct.

They are supposed to hire around 40 ff i heard.

New Ro Just had a test, they just gave the practice ajility, and the actual is in Oct.

They are supposed to hire around 40 ff i heard.

Holy $h1t that's a LOT of guys! Is there really that much attrition/expansion? I haven't seen many retirees in the mag!?!

That trump overpriced megastructure is responsible for a lot of the new hires. Think about how much they will pay in taxes.

I have two friends of mine that took the New Ro test (one a non res) but both took the practice and their ajility is at the third week in Oct. Both heard around that number.

Guys, I hate to rain on your parade, but I was talking to some of my friends over there and they said it's a bogus rumor. They said they're lucky if they hire anybody soon. Ya better check how credible your sources are. I hope though everyone is right and they do hire a s$itload of new guys. That would be great. There's no reason FDNR shouldn't be complying with NFPA 1710 now that they have all these new developments, especially the new high rises. I'd hate to have a top floor job in one of them during a noreaster, with only a skeleton crew working! blink.gif

Guys, I hate to rain on your parade, but I was talking to some of my friends over there and they said it's a bogus rumor. They said they're lucky if they hire anybody soon. Ya better check how credible your sources are. I hope though everyone is right and they do hire a s$itload of new guys. That would be great. There's no reason FDNR shouldn't be complying with NFPA 1710 now that they have all these new developments, especially the new high rises. I'd hate to have a top floor job in one of them during a noreaster, with only a skeleton crew working! blink.gif

Best move on FDNR to run their own Class. I'd like to see my Dept. institute the same thing eventually. I think the guys are better off trained. Just my two cents. wink.gif

you're right about that, accademy has been going down hill. they gotta tighten it up more and start tossin out the guys who take the job for the wrong reasons. FDNY tosses guys by the day, you can't hack it, your out. it's getting to easy up north.. gotta tighten up the ship.