Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iceemt21

Mount Vernon 10-9-06

30 posts in this topic

The vernon must be burning. Anyone with any info? I heard New Ro and Eastchester relocating.

Fire in the basment. New Ro 1 & 1 (E22 & L12) was relocated to west 3rd street house and Eastchester Ladder 17 was directed to the scene.

does anyone have a full list of apparatus that responded?

smile.gif

Basement job guys did there regular awsome job and knock it down quickly,

Good job 4 group

Assignment was E-4, E-2, E-3, TL-1, TL-3, R-1, E-6, E-5 FAST

16 Rochelle Terrace. 5 story brick 200x appox. 50

Fire in Apt. B-C.

E-4 streched a 1 3/4 into entrance on exposure 2 side and was met with a heavy smoke and high heat condition, there was a initial problem with pressure on the line due to kinks in the street. The nozzelman and officer had to close the door due to lack of pressure and fire rolling out of the apt. door. The door disintegrated on them and they had to back a little down the hallway. The kinks where finally taken care of and they where able to make thier way into the apt. to knock the fire down. All companys did a great job with the lack of manpower and the size of the apt. building. Just another example why we desperately need more manpower and a officer on every rig.

Fire in Apt. B-C.

Wait a Min. Is the Picture below ladder 3 or 4? I thought ladder 3 was the Rear Mount Tower. Or did they switch it up? I did not see Ladder 3 on the scene (the one that im thinking is the rear mount tower). I def saw this ladder which is what I thought was ladder 4.

post-3281-1160507319.jpg

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

cool.gif

Big Al

What does 3rd person mean??????

3rd. f.f. on rig?????

and in Mt.Veron Ladder3 is a rear mount

Ladder 4 is a 1972 Mack

cool.gif

and in Mt.Veron Ladder3 is a rear mount

Ladder 4 is a 1972 Mack

Thats what I thought, Everybody is confusing me huh.gifhuh.gifhuh.giflaugh.gif

Fire in Apt. B-C.

E-4 streched a 1 3/4 into entrance  on exposure 2 side and was met with a heavy smoke and high heat condition, there was a initial problem with pressure on the line due to kinks in the street. The nozzelman and officer had to close the door due to lack of pressure and fire rolling out of the apt. door. The door  disintegrated on them and they had to back a little down the hallway. The kinks where finally taken care of and they where able to make thier way into the apt. to knock the fire down. All companys did a great job with the lack of manpower and the size of the apt. building. Just another example why we desperately need more manpower and a officer on every rig.

It boggles my mind that a city like MV runs their FD like they do. Doesn't NFPA or anybody have anything to say about their lack of staffing. 2 guys on an engine - that's crazy!!!

My vollie AMBULANCE goes out with a crew of 3 most of the time!!!

seagrave straight stick---- ladder 2 (station 1) out of service,mechanical

e one tower ladder- aerialplatform- ladder 3 (station 3) o/s mechanical

mack tower ladder- former harrison fd- tl 4 (in service station 1)

new seagrave tower ladder 1- in service at station 3

ok,confused yet? as of this past week any truck co that runs out of station 1 will be called ladder 2.

any truck co that runs out of station 3 will be ladder 3.

we need velcro numbers for the rigs or magnetic numbers. PHEW!

Edited by hudson144

Which Ladder is it???? For about 10 years now Mt, Vernon has been running 2 trucks. Before that we were running three. L-1,or snorkel 1 out of third st.. L-2, a seagrave rear mount or tiller out of lincoln ave. and L-3 a rearmount E-one out of fulton ave. This is pretty much how it was before the city did away with the third truck. Being that trucks were always going out of service due to mechanical problems and the lack of spare rigs the remaining rigs would be moved from one house to another for the sake of coverage.

When the city cut the third truck The snorkel was moved to sta 1. The e-one was moved to sta 3.

Since then rigs have gone in and out of service numerous times. The dept got into the habit of changing the company number with what ever spare was being used ie. TL-4 or TL-1. This was getting a bit out of hand. Running codes were being changed, in the morning you would be on L-3 and that night it was changed to TL-1. Last week the mack TL(sta 1) and the seagrave TL(sta 3) were both in service. Both having TL-1 on them it became confusing to some as to what call they were being assigned too.

It was decided then to go back to L-2(sta 1) and L-3 (sta 3) as the company identification and not to change it to what spare is being used.

So no matter what the numbers you might see on the trucks they are as of now. L-2(the Mack out of sta 1) and L-3(the seagrave out of sta 3) they both have TL-1 on them but this is how they're dispatched. One day the numbers on the rig might match how there dispatched.

Bring Back Snorkel 1 (It was a Classic Rig !!!)

Classic rig and also very reliable, I might add. In my 23yrs on the job in the Vern, I honestly can say that rig was hardly ever out of service. It served us good and saw quite a bit of fire in its day. I wish I could say the same for the latter apparatus we purchased. Nothing but problems costantly. Like I said in a previous post, it seems the more sophisticated the apparatus manufacturers make their rigs, the more friggin problems every Dept. has. We should all just go back to ordering as basic and especially simplistic equipment as possible. We not only owe it to ourselves but to the taxpayers we protect. I wonder how they would really feel if they new their taxdollars were used to purchase LEMONS, that are there for their protection but are constantly ou of sercice. I know I'd be really pissed! mad.gif

How is the New Rescue working out for Mt. Vernon? I know it is a lot bigger then the old one so they though size might be and issue in front of a fire scene

How is the New Rescue working out for Mt. Vernon? I know it is a lot bigger then the old one so they though size might be and issue in front of a fire scene

For the most part it's working out just great. So long as the guys on it continue to do what the've been told and stay out of the block with it not impeding access for the engines and the 2 trucks, we should be OK. For the most part the R1 chauffer parks it on a corner and the R1 officer and the chauffer walk down the block.

.....and don't forget, FDMV did away with Engine 1 about 20 years ago.

Damn Mount Vernon can get confusing lol!

So, in an ideal world in Mount Vernon, is this what we should see:

Station 1 (Engine 6 and Ladder 2)

Station 2 (Engine 5, Ladder 3, Rescue 1 and Foam Unit 1)

Station 3 (Engine 3, Snorkel 1, and Engine 1)

Station 4 (Engine 2 and Engine 4)

Is this the set up that Mount Vernon should have or is looking for?

Does not matter who's on first,

Anybody see a pattern here.??????????????

Dadbo46,

If it makes you feel better we still have an in/out of service switch for Engine 1 on the status board biggrin.gif

Oh and it is still listed on the run tickets as a possible Engine company...maybe there is hope...lol.

Edited by CAM502

Lets hope that Mount Vernon, someday soon, brings back into Full Time Service, Engine 1 and Snorkel 1, along with a completely functional Foam Truck Unit.

Engine 1 was on the West Side (Station 4) and Engine 3 was at Station 3.

Engine 1 was on the West Side (Station 4) and Engine 3 was at Station 3.

Thats correct. When I was a young boy growing up in Mt. Vernon in the 60's and 70's, Station 4 was home to Engine 1 and Engine 2.

So where was Engine 4 Quartered back then (Given that Station 4 had Engine 1 and Engine 2)? Or if the Building no longer exists, where would you quarter Engine 4, ifyou have Engine 1 and 2 at Station 4?

So where was Engine 4 Quartered back then (Given that Station 4 had Engine 1 and Engine 2)? Or if the Building no longer exists, where would you quarter Engine 4, ifyou have Engine 1 and 2 at Station 4?

Today, E4 would be at Sta.3 with E3 if they ever decided to bring back E1. When E1 was in service many moons ago, both E3 & E4 were stationed at 211 S.4th Ave. This was all prior to the new Sta.3. being built on 3rd St. between 6th and 7th Aves. As much as I would love to see six engines back in the city, we really have to make a strong push to get that 3rd, ever so missed truck back in service. Ideally, what we should have covering the city, is 6 engines, 3 trucks, and the Rescue, properly staffed with an Officer and 3 ffs. but that will never happen. We'd probably have better success finding life on Mars. OH well, I guess it can't hurt to keep on trying wink.gif

Engine 4 was at Station 3 with Engine 3 and Truck 1. Before that at 211 S. 4th Ave. with Engine 3....and before that at 23 S. 6th Ave.

Engine 3 and 4 came out of 211 So. 4th. Ave. until 3rd st was built, it was there until e-1 went 10-15, then over to oak st.

bottom line 5-engines sometimes 4

2- hurting trucks

So the bottom line for Mount Vernon to be fully equiped would be ?:

5 Functional Engine Companies (Engines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6) with Engine 7 as a Spare

PLUS

3 Functional Ladder Companies (Snorkel 1, Ladder 2, and Tower Ladder 3) with Tower Ladder 1 as a Spare

PLUS

1 Functional Rescue Company (Rescue 1) with Former Rescue 1 as a back up

PLUS

1 Foam Truck

?

So the bottom line for Mount Vernon to be fully equiped would be ?:

5 Functional Engine Companies (Engines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6) with Engine 7 as a Spare

PLUS

3 Functional Ladder Companies (Snorkel 1, Ladder 2, and Tower Ladder 3) with Tower Ladder 1 as a Spare

PLUS

1 Functional Rescue Company (Rescue 1) with Former Rescue 1 as a back up

PLUS

1 Foam Truck

?

That's basically it in a nut shell. However the Snorkel is no longer around. It was sold to the Dominican Republic along with 2 old Mack engines about 4yrs ago. So the Ladder Truck assignments would be TL1(new seagrave @ sta3) L2(rearmount seagrave @ sta1) & L3(EONE LT @ sta2), with the old Mack TL as a spare. Hopefully, there's still light at the end of the tunnel. sad.gif