Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Interesting Train Consist I Saw Today

26 posts in this topic

While heading home from Stop and Shop in North White Plains today, I took my favorite route which takes me past the North White Plains Train Yard and Fairview Fire Headqurters. While stopped at the Virginia Road RR crossing, I heard a slow moving diesel engine coming by and quickly whipped out my camera.

Metro-North Operations fascinate me, I recently learned of this train. It blows the leaves off the track using compressed water stream and air so the trains do not lose traction on the slippery leaves. It was being led in this direction by a FL-9 #2011 with New Haven markings, and by my favorite Metro North Work Engine #104 at the other end. Apparently, these trains are a common sight this time of year.

Sorry for the crappy photos, but they were the best I could get given my position.

[attachmentid=1403]

[attachmentid=1404]

I was happy to learn something new about Metro-North today. (I learned of this train at http://www.railroad.net Metro North forum)

post-2-1161120535.jpg

post-2-1161120541.jpg

I know that the Harlem line is Metro-North only, and that it has third rail power, and that New Haven is overhead, but does the Hudson line have third rail or is it diesel? And can diesel freight trains run on tracks that have a third rail?

In the fall wet leaves on wet rails cause a lot of headaches to RR's. Especially commuter RR's who operate on very tight start/stop schedules. The worst aspect of the leaves is stopping ability as the train is entering a station. There are occaisons where a train will actually slide by part of the platform requiring them to back up and further complicate their schedules and operations.

I know that the Harlem line is Metro-North only, and that it has third rail power, and that New Haven is overhead, but does the Hudson line have third rail or is it diesel? And can diesel freight trains run on tracks that have a third rail?

The Hudson Line has third rail, and diesels run on those tracks as well. If memory serves me right, they share it with Amtrak. The New Haven line runs on Catenary from I think it's either Pelham or Rye north.

The Hudson Line is used by Metro-North and Amtrak for passenger and by CSX and CP for freight. All freight trains stop in Poughkeepsie and the locomotives and cars are inspected by Metro North for clearance issues since both the third rail and the high station platforms would not be happy if a freight car did not clear them ...

The Hudson Line has third rail, and diesels run on those tracks as well. If memory serves me right, they share it with Amtrak. The New Haven line runs on Catenary from I think it's either Pelham or Rye north.

Its from Pelham north to New Haven

Hey all. Newbie here. Everybody beat me to it!! biggrin.gif Ah well.

The Hudson Line is shared with Amtrak, Empire Service, Adirondack, and Ethan Allen Express trains stop at Yonkers, Croton-Harmon, and Poughkeepsie (there is no local service though between those stations, it's all to points north or arriving from points south).

That is an interesting train; reminds me of a similar one I saw passing through New Rochelle some time last winter. Maybe it was that same train.... There was an FL-9, a "Work" locomotive, and a tank car, and two flat cars, I believe.

Good photos!

The Hudson Line's third rail goes from GCT to Croton. North of Croton they have to fire up the diesels.

The Hudson Line's third rail goes from GCT to Croton.  North of Croton they have to fire up the diesels.

Yep. But for the big prize, at what point in Croton does the 3rd rail end?

A. Croton-Harmon Station

B. Metro-North Harmon Yards

C. Brook Street Crossing

D. North of Brook Street / West Yards

biggrin.gif

I'm like you Seth, I love trains and I love the history behind the Hudson Line, specifically my neck of the woods.

In the fall wet leaves on wet rails cause a lot of headaches to RR's.  Especially commuter RR's who operate on very tight start/stop schedules.  The worst aspect of the leaves is stopping ability as the train is entering a station.  There are occaisons where a train will actually slide by part of the platform requiring them to back up and further complicate their schedules and operations.

The other thing I hear, which sounds plausible, is that the drive wheels spin on the leaves. Then the monitoring system detects the wheels are going too fast and applies the emergency brakes. Then you have to back up, release the brakes whatever - adding another 10 minutes or so to the ride when all is said and done.

Mind you, my experience with the Hudson Line over the West of Hudson is that it is a whole lot more reliable - and a whole lot less hassle than driving to (and parking in ) NYC.

I believe that it is the Croton-Harmon station.

Hudson Line Third Rail ends at the West Yards. (I think)

When you say "share" with CSX and Amtrak remember that the trackage is owned by MNRR and that Amtrack CSX and whomever else pay a usage fee and are at the will of MNRR dispatchers which means they tend to sit and wait for any passing commuter trains.

Extra Trivia:

Who ran commuter rail service to Grand Central prior to the formation of Metro North in 1983?

Great shots Seth, saw them on the buff site earlier.

Con Rail under contract to the MTA.

Hudson Line Third Rail ends at the West Yards. (I think)

When you say "share" with CSX and Amtrak remember that the trackage is owned by MNRR and that Amtrack CSX and whomever else pay a usage fee and are at the will of MNRR dispatchers which means they tend to sit and wait for any passing commuter trains. 

Extra Trivia:

Who ran commuter rail service to Grand Central prior to the formation of Metro North in 1983?

Great shots Seth, saw them on the buff site earlier.

You're absolutely right, LFDR1. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear, I just meant that Amtraks run along that line. MNRR does indeed own the Right of Way.

I'd also like to insert my own answer to the trivia Question, I say the Old Croton North Station.

And It is Conrail under contract to the MTA. Before that, the New York Central.

-DA BUFF

If I recall correctly, Conrail used to provide the passenger service on the Hudson, Harlem, and (not sure) New Haven... until 1983 when the MTA took over.

Also, I think someone mentioned that the Harlem line is all commuter, but I doesn't the lumber yard off 684 get it's deliveries via freight? I think there is some freight service on the Harlem line

Yep.  But for the big prize, at what point in Croton does the 3rd rail end?

A.  Croton-Harmon Station

B.  Metro-North Harmon Yards

C.  Brook Street Crossing

D. North of Brook Street / West Yards

biggrin.gif

I'm like you Seth, I love trains and I love the history behind the Hudson Line, specifically my neck of the woods.

The third rail definately goes beyond Croton Harmon Station as it is north into the Harmons Yards.

I'm almost certain that there's transformers north of the Harmon Yard. So...

My answer (guess) is North of Brook St @ the West yards.

Also all of the CT feeder lines into the New Haven line require diesels, no overheads or 3rd.

Ah, very good all with the Conrail, however, prior to Conrail it was the Penn Central System THEN New York Central.

The New Haven Railroad served on the New Haven Line until 1983, subsidised by the MTA. Can someone confirm this. I'm not 100%

Ah, very good all with the Conrail, however, prior to Conrail it was the Penn Central System THEN New York Central.

The New Haven Railroad served on the New Haven Line until 1983, subsidised by the MTA.  Can someone confirm this.  I'm not 100%

Love seeing the old FL-9's Still working. Metro-North is phasing them out. The Danbury. line runs by my house. I occaisionaly see one. Mostly its a big square looking engine with Amtrack markings doing most of the work. I was lucky enough to see the old Budd RDC's working the line about 15 years ago. There are some good examples of these at the Danbury Railway Museam.

The "square looking" Amtrak engine is a P-40, of the Genesis series. Leased from Amtrak, formerly served on the Auto Train. From what the experts say, they're pretty beat up.

Something I received from MNR:

“Slippery rail” season has begun…

During the last few days, you may have heard our crews mention “slippery rail” and “slip slide” to explain delays and seating shortages you may have experienced. 

How can a little rain and dead, paper-thin leaves cause a multi-ton train to slide on the tracks, you ask?  The falling leaves get crushed between the rail and the wheels, creating a slimy substance.  This substance gets even more slippery when there is rain or excessive moisture in the air.  This “slime” then hinders the train’s ability to speed up and slow down. 

Sometimes, it will also cause the train to make an emergency stop because the train’s circuitry perceives the slipping wheel as excessive speed. This can cause "flattened"  wheels. Train cars must be taken out of service to correct this problem, resulting in shorter train consists and possible standee conditions.

Although we are at the mercy of changing weather conditions and the ever-changing volume of falling leaves, we are nonetheless taking steps to combat the problem.

Our employees built a machine we call “Waterworld.”  It is a unique flat car fitted with high-pressure water jets that literally “blasts” our tracks clear of leaves.  In addition, “leaf sweepers”— railcars equipped with revolving steel brushes that remove leaves and the oily deposits they form—are regularly pressed into service.  Both these pieces of equipment do most of their work during off-peak, late-night hours to minimize the impact on your commute. 

Also, each of our locomotives is equipped with sand. When the wheels start to slip, the sand is dropped automatically to improve traction.

Still, all of these actions only reduce the incidents of slippery rail. They do not eliminate them.

We will remain vigilant in our efforts to minimize any delays and inconvenience to you, and we appreciate your patience. 

No more Brook Strret crossing, it's barricaded by Jersey Barriers now.

Conrail was always freight through CT up to New Haven. Passenger service was always MTA / New Haven Railroad. Actually New Haven, Bridgeport, New York railroad to be exact (if I got the original name right have to check.)

On the New Haven line, The New Haven Hartford and New York Railroad was in opertaion until the early 70's when Penn Central took them over. The Penn Central and Conrail operated the New Haven, Harlem, and Hudson line until 1983 when the big split happened and it gave way to the railroad companies we have now.

Shortly after the village opened the new entrance into the park, MNRR closed Brook Street.

If I recall correctly, Conrail used to provide the passenger service on the Hudson, Harlem, and (not sure) New Haven... until 1983 when the MTA took over.

Also, I think someone mentioned that the Harlem line is all commuter, but I doesn't the lumber yard off 684 get it's deliveries via freight?  I think there is some freight service on the Harlem line

The Harlem is mostly commuter now. I think the only freight customer left is down near Mt Vernon West. The lumber yard takes its deliveries by truck now. There might still be one small siding there used by Metro North Maintenance of Way (MOW)