Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Radio System

28 posts in this topic

When is the high band county-wide system going to be operating. Hopefully this will help when doing mutal-aid because it will be easier to assign a channel and you can have multi incdents going on at once.

Will we still be able to hear this system on our scanners?

This new system will be going into effect around Spring-Summer of 2004, or maybe even a little later. I heard this is going to be a TRUNKED system, so if you have a TRUNKED scanner, it will help. :D

Must say thanks to whoever posted the West Harrison repeater for 46.26 on 453.000 a few weeks ago. In lower Westchester and down through Manhattan the reception is fantastic

I don't know why, but I've put that in my scanner, and its a horrible signal. I live In Dobbs Ferry, and I still can't get a good signal on that. I mostly use the Peekskill repeater: 453.8750 or the Yorktown repeater. Comes in crystal clear.

I think I heard somewhere that the West Harrison antenna is facing south, so you might not be in the reception range on the Hudson. I know that it fades pretty quickly once you go too far west (ie across the Tappan Zee)

Thanks for the Peekskill repeater frequency!

Hey everyone, I'm sorta down in the scanner dumps...I live in Dobbs Ferry, and I can't seem to pick up the frequency 33.96. That is the county pager alert system. Some villages are paged out by that frequency, like irvington for example. I cant seem to pick it up and it pisses me off. Same with Ardsley dispatch frequency(46.52). The only place that I can pick that up is by my bed. Come to think of it, I get a lot of stuff by my bed that i can't get any where else. I only get Yonkers Dispatch (46.50) by my bed, and when I go to walk away it fades, and dies...can any one help me?

Low band is a simplex system that works best in line-of-site situations, the hills in Dobbs Ferry don't help that. Sometimes slight movement can help reception of low band, just as it can when your trying to tune a am radio, which may explain why it is better by your bed. The only way to improve this situation is to invest in high-quality coaxial cable and a quality antenna designed for recieving lowband freq's, and then place that at the highest easily accessible point possible at your residence(ensuring a proper safe installation) whether it be rooftop or treetop. I know a member of this board (GA) who did the same, and it improved his reception greatly. I also think alot of it has to do with weather and time of day, sometimes I rcvd Ardsley great from my house, others days not at all, and i had to move my scanner frequently to optimize reception. When I got a better antenna, it improved slightly, but I wish I had gone with the rooftop idea.

RWC130, RadnorCo15 or anybody else with lowband monitoring experience got any other ideas?

can you suggest the antenna? becuase I have a 800 MHZ antenna. Im operating with a pro-94 scanner. Also I dont live in a house, I live in a apartment, so its hard to gain roof access.

DFFD227, the Rivertowns scanner expert will be along to help you shortly... :)

I lived in Ardsley and recieved a great tip for lowband monitoring a few years ago. Radio Shack has a magnet mount CB antenna with adjustable tuning on it and it works wonders on lowband. I tested it and it works 10 times better than expensive all-band discones, etc. I have several high-end scanners and am not ashamed to say they're hooked up to $20 cheapo CB antennas from radio shack! Try it out and if u can place it outside or near a window. Good luck!

Does anyone know what kind of radios will be provided by the county with the new UHF system? I heard ESS won the bid, but it would be nice to know, so us departments who are trying to advance with the system can start purchasing the same radios.

i think maybe mts2000 for portables

I will look into it for you. Good question!

It would be nice to get a jump on things I agree.

DFFD227

A good antenna can make or break you. The 800MHZ and Lowband Fire 33, 46MHZ are on the opposite sides of the spectrum. Try using a telescopic antenna, the extra length of the antenna will help pick up those frequencies..

Mike

The Croton FD has installed a crossband link to its low-band radio. This UHF will link to whatever frequency our base is set on (IE if we put our ops and base on 46.14, the link will be to 46.14). This frequency is 453.025. Area Chiefs - contact me for additional info if you would like.

I lived in Ardsley and recieved a great tip for lowband monitoring a few years ago.  Radio Shack has a magnet mount CB antenna with adjustable tuning on it and it works wonders on lowband.  I tested it and it works 10 times better than expensive all-band discones, etc.  I have several high-end scanners and am not ashamed to say they're hooked up to $20 cheapo CB antennas from radio shack!  Try it out and if u can place it outside or near a window.  Good luck!
Can this be by a window or OUT side the window. And I own a portable scanner...so what if I want to move around the house with it, say away from my window?

Obviously outside the window is ideal. I now live in an apartment and cannot put an outdoor antenna so the windowsil has got to suffice. If possible, you want to put the magnet mount on a metal surface. I don't know what your options are but you may consider a different type of mount such as a gutter mount (if you have say a fire escape outside your window). Be creative you will ultimately figure out the best location by trial and error.

What is the frequency that pound ridge gets dispatched off of?

As per an e-mail from a consultant for the County's Trunked Fire/EMS Radio System the bid is expected to be awarded in early Feb '04. The system will be analog with the system being operational by the end of '04. Mobile installations will start by the 3rd qurter of '04 extending into early '05.

As per an e-mail from a consultant for the County's Trunked Fire/EMS Radio System the bid is expected to be awarded in early Feb '04. The system will be analog with the system being operational by the end of '04. Mobile installations will start by the 3rd qurter of '04 extending into early '05.
Now it's analog? I heard it was going to be a trunked digital system?

this new system will be trunked?

It was always supposed to be trunked! :D

If anyone is interested in seeing the RFP(Request for Proposal) for this system I downloaded it from Westchestergov.com before bids were accepted. It describes the whole system from proposed tower locations and frequencies to where mobile installations mobile will be made.

Hey DFFD227 and others...

If you want to monitor 33.96 and your having problems try using Pound Ridge FD Link which is 453.350 with a DPL 664.

It may help you! :D