Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

New York State Police CHARGER

26 posts in this topic

So whats the deal with this new charger, is it a Demo or are they going to be getting a bunch of them to patrol the highways. My only thinking, although its not a camaro its the next best thing that is out right now.

Any one with info lets here it

I must say it looks really sweet and isnt overloaded with lights all over, and I lile the color filters on the lightbar.

where is Troop H?

Troop "H" is HQ. No patrol vehicle's turn out of there, just H plates to signify it is a pilot use vehicle that will be traveling around the State, gauging Member's interest.

Tentatively, they will replace the Camaro’s initially, perhaps after that replacing all patrol vehicles.

Anyone get a picture of the NYSP Charger?? Love to see it

Anyone get a picture of the NYSP Charger??  Love to see it

Photos from ab2se are posted on http://www.emtbravo.com

That Charger is particularly hot! I hope CT SP goes with them too!

Edited by x635

So whats the deal with this new charger, is it a Demo or are they going to be getting a bunch of them to patrol the highways. My only thinking, although its not a camaro its the next best thing that is out right now.

Any one with info lets here it

Porsha,

I had heard a couple (2) years ago they were going to be purchasing these as they do not trust the Fords in rear collision, and that Chevy kinda left the police agencies without much of a choice, for rear wheel drive. I would expect to see more of these if I were you.

Arrow

Troop "H" is HQ. No patrol vehicle's turn out of there, just H plates to signify it is a pilot use vehicle that will be traveling around the State, gauging Member's interest.

Tentatively, they will replace the Camaro’s initially, perhaps after that replacing all patrol vehicles.

The Cameros are still out there?

I know at one time SP Somers had a Camaro. Used on I-684 a lot.

I have not seen it on the road in a long time.

I did see one in July of 2004 on Long Island. (Troop L)

I'd love to see the Chargers used by STATE POLICE but my question

is this.

Are they too much power?????

I would hate to see a State Trooper or ANY Police Officer get hurt just to catch a speeder. I think the Charger is a ROCKET for a routine patrol car.

I know at one time in NYSP you had to have special training to

drive the Camaro.

Will this be done for the Chargers too?

cool.gif

The Cameros are still out there?

There are still plenty of Camaro's out there, I drive from Rochester to Dutchess on the thruway about 10 times a year and I usually see a few. I know there is one left in troop K and there are several of them up here in Rochester that I always see sitting with the fleet at the regional HQ. I actually saw one go flying by me the other day while I was on the expressway up here.

I finally saw the NYSP Charger on the Taconic Parkway monday afternoon traveling s/b. It made my head turn just about a complete 180. Definitly a nice look for the State Police.. I believe it was said it came equiped with the HEMI package.. Im sure Dodge has a bunch of little tricks they can do to make it even faster than the stock HEMI (not that it needs it).. Just drop a chip in it.. I cant even imagine... I might have to get pulled over just to get a better look at it.

As far as the Camaro, yea, NYSP has a few of them still in use around albany. I usually see one on I-90 when i go to and from school

The Charger looks like a decent car.

But that's a good point - too much power. If it's anything like the Duranogos when they first came out, good luck driving them in the rain - controlling them when accelerating was a little bit of a pain in the arse.

I did notice one thing - I think (JMHO) that the lightbar is too far back and should be moved forward another 2-3 inches for better forward-facing warning.

As for the Camaros - still out there, except the one a few of us saw crash on the TSP last June on the way to the HVVFA convention..... luckily he was OK.

The Hemi Charger has 340 HP, which allows it to go 0-60 in 6 seconds and run the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds. Those numbers may sound rediculously fast but nowadays a V6 Honda Accord or Nissan Altima V6 will run similar times meaning that the engone is pretty much a must if you want to 'keep up' with a host of cars. The Charger also comes with Traction Control/Stability Control, something that the CVPI and the Impala do not offer. That means better vehicle control for the officer in low traction situations.

The Hemi Charger has 340 HP, which allows it to go 0-60 in 6 seconds and run the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds. Those numbers may sound rediculously fast but nowadays a V6 Honda Accord or Nissan Altima V6 will run similar times meaning that the engone is pretty much a must if you want to 'keep up' with a host of cars. The Charger also comes with Traction Control/Stability Control, something that the CVPI and the Impala do not offer. That means better vehicle control for the officer in low traction situations.

The Police Packages have a lot more horse power than the ones that are available to the public, I think its over 400

The Police Packages have a lot more horse power than the ones that are available to the public, I think its over 400

No, the Hemi Charger has the 5.7L making 340 HP, the same power as the civilian model. I am 100 percent sure if this. The regular Charger has a 3.5L V6 and only makes 250 HP.

I think WCPD Air 2 and NYSP Dodge Charger should race! biggrin.gif

I think WCPD Air 2 and NYSP Dodge Charger should race!  biggrin.gif

Interesting Idea. I know for a fact that Onondago County Sherriffs have broken off pursuits in the chopper because the suspect was going too fast for them. Granted this was their old B Model Jet Ranger, but the 407 only has 30 or 40 knots on them.

Second point. Someone mentioned they would hate to see Troopers dying because of an overpowered vehicle. Well, its happening now. A Trooper in Onondaga County was killed when he took a turn too fast in his Chevy Tahoe (unsure if it was a pursuit rated vehicle) while chasing a fleeing motorcycle suspect. He took a turn at a high rate of speed and wrapped his Tahoe around a tree.

the charger is a beast!! our department's yearly raffle was a charger daytona and i was able to take it too different places and it was a rocket ship... handles like a dream and that traction control works!!! u dont need to get on the gas that hard and u are gone.

Porsha911gt3... You are incorrect regarding police package cars these days. There is no difference in the amount of power available in a Hemi Charger police package vs. a stock Hemi R/T.... It's 340HP. Now if you are Joe public and want more ponies yes you can buy an aftermarket chip, intake, and exhaust for the car. Eventually someone will start making a bolt on supercharger as well (if Paxton or Vortech haven't done it already)... If you want to spend a few grand more, you can buy the factory optioned SRT-8 model whose Hemi produces 425hp. More powerful horsepower motors for police cars went out the door in the 1970's.

I'm not trying to be a dick but to you realize that you've spelled Porsha incorrectly in your screen name? The correct spelling is Porsche and if you're referencing the model its a GT3 with capital letters.

Sorry as a former driver and owner of a Porsche race car I'm a little sensitive about butchering the name and nomenclature

Porsha911gt3... You are incorrect regarding police package cars these days.  There is no difference in the amount of power available in a Hemi Charger police package vs. a stock Hemi R/T.... It's 340HP.  Now if you are Joe public and want more ponies yes you can buy an aftermarket chip, intake, and exhaust for the car.  Eventually someone will start making a bolt on supercharger as well (if Paxton or Vortech haven't done it already)... If you want to spend a few grand more, you can buy the factory optioned SRT-8 model whose Hemi produces 425hp.  More powerful horsepower motors for police cars went out the door in the 1970's.

I'm not trying to be a dick but to you realize that you've spelled Porsha incorrectly in your screen name?  The correct spelling is Porsche and if you're referencing the model its a GT3 with capital letters.

Sorry as a former driver and owner of a Porsche race car I'm a little sensitive about butchering the name and nomenclature

The police chief up here where I go to college has a charger and I was told by him that his car generates, I think it was 418 HP, maybe it was upgraded I don't know, but I know it was a police package

As for the porsche thing well no $hit Any Dumb@ss knows that, I spelled it differently because in other places such as AOL "Porsche911GT3" was not available, So I spelled it Porsha911GT3, which I use everywhere and it really doesnt matter if its gt or GT still says the same thing doesnt it. Its sort of the same way that I spelled the other nice words above, You can't spell it one way so spell it differently, but it still means the same thing

Edited by Porsha911gt3

so interesting to see the new blue lights on an especially fine vehicle. does anybody know if the blue lights will only be added to new trooper cars, or are they going to install them on existing ones as well?

Edited by nwpfdjr27

so interesting to see the new blue lights on an especially fine vehicle. does anybody know if the blue lights will only be added to trooper cars, or are they going to install them on existing ones as well?

I have seen existing cars with 2 of the Halogen Flashers replace with blues, As for the newer ones with the LED flashers maybe someone else knows

Same, I've only seen Crown Vics with Blue Flashers (some halogen, some LED) I dont know if they went back and changed the halogen filters, but I would think the ones with LED flashers are new units. Next time I'm home, I'll look across the street and try to get a look. (I live across the street from SP Tarrytown)

Same, I've only seen Crown Vics with Blue Flashers (some halogen, some LED) I dont know if they went back and changed the halogen filters, but I would think the ones with LED flashers are new units. Next time I'm home, I'll look across the street and try to get a look. (I live across the street from SP Tarrytown)

They're (SLOWLY) changing all existing lightbars, in addition to turning out all new cars with the blue lenses, or blue LED's in the cases of the new units.

As for the porsche thing well no $hit Any Dumb@ss knows that, I spelled it differently because in other places such as AOL "Porsche911GT3" was not available, So I spelled it Porsha911GT3, which I use everywhere and it really doesnt matter if its gt or GT still says the same thing doesnt it. Its sort of the same way that I spelled the other nice words above, You can't spell it one way so spell it differently, but it still means the same thing

Gotcha.... Again wasn't trying to be a dick... Just pointing something out.