Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

New Apparatus

51 posts in this topic

VMFD got a 2003 Ford F-550/Tri Industries Custom that is now Utility 9

Somers is not getting a new TRUCK, but we are getting a new ENGINE! Bids are going out this month. The new engine will be very similar to Engine Companies 180 and 181 (the twin 2001 Seagrave's), however, it most likely will NOT be a Seagrave! Not happy with the new Seagrave's, nothing like our old '58- Engine 182! Definitly would not see either one in 45 years!!!, and most likely not in service!!!!

Engine and Rescue!! You guy gonna try and get a package deal?

Probally not a package deal for the Engine and Rescue. In the near future(next 2 years), after this Engine and Rescue, we plan on replacing another Engine(186), and Mini-Attack.

As for the Seagrave's- the quality of the apparatus is not there! Not for the money they want. They are living off of the "Seagrave name" of years ago. Both of our rigs had pump valves installed backwards, 1 has the AC unit switched off the Master lighting switch (so it only works if all the emergency lights are on), both have paint peeling off the bodies, shall I continue? For a lot less money, we can buy a pumper, with just as good quality.

This is very disappointing to hear. I thought that the new Seagrave's were of a very high quality...... are they really that bad??? I mean, everyone seems to be buying them....

We had the same problem with our fleet of E-ONE apparatus especially with failing paint on apparatus under 10 years old (they deny problems exist and are horrible to deal with), and have switched to Seagrave and are very satisfied. We have a very rigerous internal inspection process and we don't take delivery until the rig is 100% perfect. Any defects or signs of poor workmanship are not tolerated. It seems all the major manufacturers are guilty of slapping there names on a few pieces of crap.

It seems all the major manufacturers are guilty of slapping there names on a few pieces of crap.

I tottally agree. Fire apparattus is custom built, one piece at a time. Alot of it i think has to do with how well you spec the rigl. Hiring a Fire Apparatus consultant is one way to avoid some problems and keep a closer eye on the construction proccess. And most important, you get what you pay for.

I am curious to see whether other departments with new Seagraves are having the same problems or if they are happy with their apparatus. Additionally, weren't the Somers rigs built during a strike at the plant..... not that that is an excuse.........

I would have to disagree with the Seagrave bashing. They are still the most superior manufacturer in the business. KME and others are a far cry from superior. I think this is an isolated incident. Let's take a look at FDNY. Seagraves stand up to the beating and keep on ticking. In addition, all the leading manufacturers are copying Seagrave. I also very confident that Seagrave would correct any imperfections.

Thank you JJL429! I agreee the Seagrave is a superior builder of fire apparatus! And I agree that Rick and Carl and Seagrave would take care of any issues. I think that FDNY is a good example, because regardless of low bids...... those trucks in the city still take over a decade of severe beating and keep on woking!!!! I still would like to hear of other Seagrave experiances... Thanx, and stay safe!

...Not to mention all the imitators....Spartan Extreme Duty, Ferrara Ultra, Pierce Arrow XT.......lol

Seagraves are built to take a beating, you can especially tell by the interior fit and finish.....Ardsley used to (and still should be) an all Seagrave fleet......we have a 1928 thats still running, and has never even been refurbished. (Thanks TK!)

I wonder if a Seagrave could be in Katonah's future?

:wink:

It's all in how you spec.

I can vouch for the problems RES20CUE speaks of. The backward pump valves cause the pump on a brush truck to blow apart. When the Seagrave rep was told about the A/C wired into the emergency lighting master switch, the reply was it's supposed to be that way so it goes through the load manager. Other problems include the trendle valves needing to be replaced on both engines.

It's not intentional bashing, just relaying the problems experienced.

I used to be a supporter of Seagrave Units, until recently. Seeing that Yonkers FD decided not to replace their Old Seagrave Ladders with New Seagrave Ladders, instead going with Smeal Ladders says alot. Besides, going back 20 years, the "Most Durable Truck Around" and you can ask FDNY about this was the Mack CF Unit. It now appears that American LaFrance is now recouping their place as a leader in Fire Apparatus, given their recent successes. If I was Seagrave, I would look behind them, because ALF, it appears, is right on their rear bumper, and looking to over take them as # 1. Just my personal opinion.

No way will a Smeal or ALF out last a Seagrave. We must all face the facts. You don't see FDNY using Smeal or ALF. All of the donated Engines saw a very short time in the front line. Seagrave is still superior!

You can say what you want about Seagrave, every body has thier own opinions. I agree with you JJL, I love Seagrave (of the past), the ones today, just aren't cutting it the way the old 70th Anniversary models did. I have seen many older Seagraves in service for 30-40 years. I don't think you will see a Seagrave today in service in 35 years. I'm not saying your going to see any rig of today in service in 35 years, but they just aren't built the same way. My experiences with the Seagrave of today is poor, and that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. However, I'm not alone, in my feelings or experiences! Oh, and just because FDNY does it, doesn't mean the rest of the world has too!!

See ya at the next big one!

Ford Vs. Chevy Vs. Dodge.....we all know that Dodge rules, lol

The beneficial thing for Seagrave with FDNY,it works as kind of a "proving ground" for them. They can learn off of that contract, and it benefits all customers.

Seagrave does build a rugged chasis with little plastic that befenfits heavy use. That's what has companies like Pierce and Ferrara trying to market similar chasis.....also Washington DC and LA are both going back to Seagrave.

As for FDNY and Seagrave, FDNY also has very rigid specs, a very thorough process, and the staff is "used to" building FDNY pieces.

It's been my experience that people either passionetly love ot passionetly hate Seagrve. Seagrave is not too popular here in Central/Northern New England or the South. The reason why is lack of/poor dealer support. I think Seagrave is trying to improve that with the new owners. One of the reasons E-One is popular up here (besides low bid) is that the dealer(s) are aggresive and customer service oriented, and they have a great service staff. There's a new Seagrave dealer up here trying to change that.

Also, alot has to do with how you spec the apparatus, and how well the pre-delivery inspection is completed.Since apparatus is custom built one unit at a time, EVERYTHING should be looked over extensivly, tested, and played with and then looked over again before you sign on the dotted line. All corrections should be made prior to backing that rig in for the first time, and you should also make sure the dealer has a mobile service unit, to minimize downtime. You should also pay even more attention when you are going with a quantity over quality low-bid manufacturer. PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY..And Do It At The Factory (they can correct items more easily than the dealer)...Don't flip that switch for the first time at a fire!

Personally, I like all brands of apparatus. All have their strengths and weaknesses. All build nice rigs, (except for one or two of the quantity over quality builders) and all build duds.Some more than others. It all comes down to the specs and dealer in the end. And it takes two to tango... :(

Mack - Yesterday's premier rigs.

Seagrave - Today's premier rigs.

American LaJunk - enough said.

Pierce - um, no comment other then P.O.S. "Pierce of s***"

But that could be related to Tyler.....

Word is that Harrison is about to order 2 new engines to replace the current apparatus at E11 and E13. Damn shame, Engine 11 is a fine rig (1988 Mack/Ward 79)

At the moment, no details on the new apparatus, but I would bet on 2 seagraves similar to Engine 12's 1999 model.

That Engine 11 is nice, I'll have to put the picture you took of it at C3 Day back up. It should be a crime to get rid of a nice Mack like that lol (cough)Croton too(cough)

LFD171 Photo Of Harrison Engine 11 added to the Forum Photo Section @ EMTbravo.com :D

Hey Larchmont, heard the sad news that your Mack C is finally out of service.... I think that marks the end of an era in Westchester, sad really. What are you guys going to replace it with?

As for Katonah, I think we are working on a new tanker, but no details to share yet.... I'll keep you all posted.

Yes Engine 35, 1 1969 Mack repowered in 1985 is officially dead and has been for several months. It is no longer repairable as the parts now have to be custom made due to the age of the truck. A replacement rig is on the drawing board, but the village has not been receptive to the idea of a new engine.

would you want a new truck or to have your mack completely redone i mean a new back body and a new power plant and stuff kind of like what Bowie MD did. here take a look at it http://www.bowievfd.org/content/stories/09...0803_1_Tower43/

look at that they took an old mack tower and completely redid personally i would like to have an old mack that has been upgrade and mad better instead of some of the trucks that are out thier now and it also so a lot of history to it what do you guy think

i know one department in Rockland that bought an Mack and is having it completely redone and to make it in toa rescue

Hey LFD171 what would you like to do

I forgot one thing Bowie MD did it wiht both of thier new tower ladders tl39 and tl43 where both mack tower ladders that had been rebuilt

New or nothing. We have already rebuilt it once in 1985 and it's just had it. It would be worth rebuilding as an antique only. It does still pump (I think) and would be great for musters. Once we have deceided on a date to accept bids for it, I'll post it. Be sure to bring a flatbed for it

South Salem rumored to have ordered an ALF pumper..... Purchase working on a new rescue.....

Purchase ordered their new rescue months ago and it's being built as we speak. It's a Seagrave heavy rescue. Purchase is also getting ready to spec out another new engine to replace E238.