Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeinet

City of Rye

19 posts in this topic

I've noticed that when the City of Rye gets paged out they notify 60ctl that "the phones and radio have been turned over"

So Rye dispatches themselves, then the dispatcher goes on the call? What's the purpose of that?

I think that may be if they have multiple calls at the same time that they do that, but im not fully sure if that's the case. someone fill us in if that's not the case

The driver of the ladder dispatches the call, turns over the phones and radios and then responds to the alarm.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of self-dispatching?

I don't believe it totally defeats the purpose. The ladder doesn't roll on every single alarm, so he stays at HQ to handle the radios/phones. This also helps 60-Control alot because its 1 less dept. they have to dispatch or answer calls for. Other places have a similar operation. In Mohegan, the radios/phones get turned over when there is a major alarm or multiple alarms where the dispatcher is needed to respond.

Actually, I think the procedure makes things a little more complicated.

When a house is "dumped", you're not always able to get a complete set of information (including callback numbers) due to the "Firefighter/Communications Operator" being in a rush to get out, and you have to play catch up. Also, they may call "all of a sudden" a one time breif transmission on the radio when you are busy with other incidents.

I feel it's much more practical to either do dispatch completly, so the dispatcher(s) can follow from interogating the first caller to the final dispatch. Either do it all, or dont do it at all, IMO. This is just another way depts in the WC is fragmenting and complicating things, instead of centralizing and streamlining things.

I cannot see a valid reason for this procedure, maybe someone here can enlighten me? Why not just have a full time dispatch center do it? From another perspective, would you have a firefighter just drive the truck to the scene and leave it there, then have someone else set it up, do the pumping and work????

x635, I couldn't agree more with you. I know from personal experience even standard shift changes when dispatching can be complicated as the person coming on doesn't fully know everything going on... the person coming off may forget something... so forth, and so on.

BFD1054 - I disagree. 60ctl is designed, paid, and set up to be a central dispatching agency for westchester county... they should not be trying to "get rid" of departments so its "easier" on them. 60ctl isnt around because depts CANNOT dispatch themselves... many westchester FDs/EMS agencies could dispatch themselves (IE PD Dispatched) but the purpose of 60ctl is to bring everything under one umbrela to make county operations as a whole better.

I don't believe it totally defeats the purpose.  The ladder doesn't roll on every single alarm, so he stays at HQ to handle the radios/phones.  This also helps 60-Control alot because its 1 less dept. they have to dispatch or answer calls for.  Other places have a similar operation.  In Mohegan, the radios/phones get turned over when there is a major alarm or multiple alarms where the dispatcher is needed to respond.

You're WRONG! It doesn't help 60-Control at all, nor does it help Rye. 60 doesn't need less work, they need more work so they can grow and justify more staffing and funding. When dumping house, they get all the work without any of the credit. With each agency that gets onboard with 60, thats one step towards having a more modern and effecient communications system.

BFD1054 wrote: ...the purpose of 60ctl is to bring everything under one umbrela to make county operations as a whole better.

As x635 stated it would be more practical for 60 control to have the dispatch from the beginning to the end...that's what would help "to make county operations as a whole better" It's not a matter of making things "easier" for 60 control, it's about what would hopefully work the best for everyone. The way Rye FD goes about dumping the house (on the radio, vs. the way they're supposed to, which is calling on the phone w/all the pertinent information) just means there is a better chance they won't be followed properly if 46.26 is busy. Anyone that has listened to 46.26 before knows that unfortunately because of the way the system is set up units step all over each other...whether they realize it or not.

Good points dispatcherette. Of course the new trunking system will be the answer to all the problems. :roll:

The biggest problem of all that will never get solved, is that 60 Control doesn't have the authority to say its this way or the highway. Too many chefs in the kitchen. Once again, Dutchess is the model of how this county should be. Don't do it their way, you don't operate or get dispatched. In fact when they made the switch from using "KED348" to wanting to be called Dutchess 911, they gave a few months of correcting people (the pain in the you know whats that can't take change mostly) then they would flat out not answer you. When the county can say, we are only going to do it this way, or you need to find another way to dispatch and oh by the way on another channel, nothing will ever solve most of the problems.

Let the Dispatchers dispatch and the Firefighters fight fires and answer the alarms. All these independant agencies dispatching is counter productive. If an agency wants to dispatch themselves let them get oonto their own frequency so they arn't in the way of those agencies that wish to comply.

If an agency wants to dispatch themselves let them get oonto their own frequency so they arn't in the way of those agencies that wish to comply.

Wish to comply with what??? There is nothing anywhere that says Westchester agencies MUST be dispatched by 60.

I agree, all the way around it would make it easier for all involved but if there's nothing that says it's mandatory.

In fact, there are agencies that have been licenced on 46.260 alot longer than 60 Control. Why should those agencies find a new frequency. Let 60 find one. Of course that would be unreasonable, just trying to make a point.

No offense to Truck 6018, and this isn't directed at him personally. I've enjoy every one of his (hers?, gotta be PC) posts. But those of you who know who I am also know I don't sugar coat things so:

But that last sentence is exactly why this county is so F&$%^% up.

Tradition is good for 2 things: reminding you where you are, and stopping you from where you need to be. Don't let the people we serve or other departments that have to operate as well get in the way of tradition.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to dispatch yourself, by all means stay on 46.26.

No offense to Truck 6018

No offense taken (I think). :-k

Besides, if I did take offense, would you care??? I didn't think so.

Tradition should not get in the way of progress. I don't think any one can deny there is a problem with 46.260. If someone thinks there is no problem, they need to get their head out of the sand!

There are departments that have recognized the problem and did something about it, most recently being Mohegan VAC. Well, only one Northern Westchester department to go!!!

Hopefully, the new state of the art, trucked system will eliviate some of the headaches. On the other side of the coin, I'm also confident it won't as that one Nothern Westchester department already runs their EMS operations on a separate frequency.

Even if the system goes online without a hitch (one can always hope), it will not prevent Dept A dispatched by PD, Dept B self dispatched and Dept C dispatched by county. In the end when all three hit the tones at once, no one is going to hear a darn thing.

There were multiple reasons why Mohegan VAC transfered dispatch to 60 Control on our seperate frequency:

1) The VAC got it's own frequency in 2001 for the purpose of having all members carry portable radios to answer calls instead of calling the firehouse by phone. From then until this past May, calls were toned out over both 46.26 and the new VAC freq (EMS Only members do not carry fire pagers) with ALL operations on the VAC freq.

2) Our previous dispatch was done by Mohegan Fire....it was good that it was internal, but there was no Emergency Medical Dispatch plus when Headquarters went unmanned for a call, 60 Control took over the phones and radio....The VAC wanted someone to dispatch FULLY and not have dispatch dumped to someone else when Headquarters went unmanned, which occured on a frequent basis.

3) For some reason, the written procedures on dispatch were not quite followed correctly...both blame on the VAC and Fire for not getting straightened out together.

New procedures were written with the transfer and dispatch has been running quite smoothly since May!!!

Critic...i'm soo sorry that i stated my opion, i just assumed i was entitled to it! You are entitiled to your opinions as well, but just don't reply that i'm "wrong!" You think your answers are the best and the right way to do things, maybe they are, maybe not. Thats your opinion, but don't bash my opinion!

Believe me, i have been a PD dispatcher and a Fire/EMS dispatcher, and i know how hard it is and how many things are going on at once. As Seth said, i've heard many of these depts. get excited, give the alarm to 60 just once and thats it. Then Control is asking them to repeat the nature/location, but the dept. doesn't answer cause they're running around trying to get out of the house & thats totally unfair. Critic, you're right in saying that the more agencies that "get onbord" with Control, the more justified they will be. I totally agree with that, but will the County actually improve the system & hire more dispatchers, who knows? You said that when these depts. "dump-house," then Control doesn't get the credit? I really don't understand that, you want them to get a medal? I mean, i'm not knocking them at all, they do a hell of a job, but thats just it, its their job! Who cares about credit, everyone knows how hard dispatchers work and how much crap Control deals with & they all know how good they are too.

Others have said leave the dispatching to the dispatchers and fighting fires to firefighters. That, i totally agree with. I must admit, when i first replied to this post, i was in a rush and didn't get to say everything i wanted to. I would love to see more depts get onboard with 60, but the county would have to hire more dispatchers to make the system work smoothly. I too feel that firefighters should just be concerned with firefighter related jobs, but some depts like the whole self-dispatching thing. It would be nice if the county just stopped them and said they either have to self-dispatch and be able to handle it fully or they have to switch to 60, but i can't see that happening.

But you all made good points, i just didn't have time to truly answer this post the first time i replied.

The dispatchers at 60, or wherever else, have enough on their plates. I just figured it'd be easier for them if some of the depts off-loaded some of the dispatching. But unfortunately, some of them tend to just "dump" calls on 60 and it is very unfair and becomes very aggravating.

I can definately see pros and cons to this situation, but after reading other members replies, i see more pros. See Critic, thats how it works, i replied with some opinions, others did the same, and now i seem to agree with the other members. Their post have made me see that there are more pros in having 60 than having depts self-dispatch.

I think you all should let the cops Dispatch!!!!!They can send a car to check and advise if EMS or FIRE are really needed. Should only take an additional 10-20 minutes. Depending on how many Dunkin Donuts they have to pass.

Welcome to Croton FD:

Home of the "Check & Advise" on a reported structure fire!!!!!!!!!!

It is sooo bad!

LOL too funny! Dave, i wasn't gonna name names, but since you went ahead and did it...CPD is like famous for that, thats gotta aggravate you! It must be interesting to be sitting at the FH and hear PD sending a car to "check & advise" on a possible or resported fire. Honestly, what good do they think they are doing? What could they do if they do "check & advise" and have a working fire, or worse off, a working fire with people trapped? That little CO extinguisher that they have in their trunk isn't going to do much! Thats a prime example of why Croton should go to 60-Control and totally get rid of the PD dispatching! Hell, half the time it seems like they aren't listening to the fire radio anyway!