Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

2007 Yonkers FD New Deliveries - Thoughts

30 posts in this topic

With the start of the new year of 2007, a number of EMTBravo Members are aniticipating the upcoming deliveries of 3 New ALF Eagles to the Yonkers, replacing the current Engine Companies 307, 310, and 312, as well as the New ALF Eagle Heavy Duty "Tandem Axel" Rescue 1, and the 3 New Smeal Rear Mount Ladder Trucks to replace Ladder Company 70, 74 and 73. I know that Yonkers FD spec's out all of their rigs to fit the model used for the City of Yonkers, but just thinking about what would set the "New YFD ALF Rescue One" from all of the other rigs, not only in Yonkers but from the rest in the county, would be to have Campbell Supply install a "ROTO RAY" on the Front Bumper, just below the Front Grill, to accent this unit and to complement the other warning lights already spec'd out on this rig. Could you imagine the New YFD Tandem Axel ALF Eagle Heavy Duty Rescue responding to a call in Yonkers, with a Roto Ray in operation on the front of this rig. WOW !! Any thoughts on this?

On a side note, I am led to believe that YFD wants to have its front-line department rigs to be all 2000 and Older, but I can't understand why you would want to replace Ladder 73 right now, given that it is only 4 years old (along with Ladder 72) and both appear to be in very good condition for 2002 Rear-Mount Smeals. Does other departments in highly Urban Areas such as New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, White Plains, Newburgh, Stamford, etc, change out their Ladder Company Apparatus every 4 years? (or maybe there is something wrong with the Current Ladder 73, thus forcing it to back up (Spare or Reserve) status? Does anyone have any insight on this?

"On a side note, I am led to believe that YFD wants to have its front-line

department rigs to be all 2000 and Older..............."\

--->I'm gonna reply to this:

*1st of all, a rig might look great in a picture, but there are other ways in which it is aged, and mechanically not great.

*Secondly, when the new Trucks come in, they allow the front lines to become spares, -which replace (3)nearing 20 year old spares (which happen to break down too) It is not uncommon for a Ladder Co. to switch to a spare, and then have that spare break down forcing another change-over of rigs.

*I also remember the days that when your rig broke down, you were LUCKY to get another of the same type apparatus to replace it. It was not uncommon to ride in a car (yes-a car) or a Suburban.

-The higher ups have been able to keep up the fleet, which is a good thing ! The Chiefs, etc who do the planning, were around when our stuff was $hit, and don't want that to happen again. We have come a long way in the last bunch of years, and upkeep of our fleet is IMPORTANT !

R1Smokereater - Thanks for the clarification. I figured that something mechanically might be wrong with Ladder 73. It makes sense to have a good spare in reserve. What is your thoughts on putting a ROTO RAY on the front of the New R1?

What exactly is a Roto Ray? I know its some kind of warning light but is there something special about it?

its a light with 3 lights that spin in a circle usually mounted on the grill of a truck.

What exactly is a Roto Ray?  I know its some kind of warning light but is there something special about it?

A rotray is a motorized spinning light with 3 light fixtures attached, very popular in the DC/Virginia area, one local unit that has one that i know of is the Westchester Cty PD Bomb Squad Unit.

any practical advantage to this?

Mack61,

I just saw what a Roto-Ray is.

Don't you ever mention Roto-Ray or Yonkers Fire in the same sentence again...

......and please, please don't start "assuming, presuming" or be "led to believe" about what we're doing with our rigs again......

Roto-Rays are one of the earliest style of warning lights dating back to the first 12 volt systems on fire trucks during the late 1910's & through the 1920's. Originally, most of them were mounted on a pole on the side of a truck or behind the driver. Similar in application to the old Mars lights that shifted left to right and with the light head itself angled, The three lights of a roto-ray are angled in a way so when they rotate, they give the appearance of a "flash". Usually the light heads are all one color or two of the same and one white. The advantage of this light is that it is different than a standard flash of a front grill warning light or the actions of a rotating light bar, basically it is a direct light eye catcher when you drive since it it technically located on modern apparatus ar the driver's eye level.

This device was talked about in another topic that is now closed. Here is the link to that topic:

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=10748&hl=roto+ray

Her is a link to a posting of mine with the original spe cs for the roto-ray:

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=10...indpost&p=53501

They area a good alternative or add-on warning device but I'm not sure who makes them now or what their cost is. Sometimes different is better.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Gotta love speculation...I heard YFD was getting a chopper (lol).

On another note, does anyone know if Rescue 1's current rig will be made their spare or does SOD have other plans?

Roto Rays should never be seen in the Northeast period! Blah they are perhaps the worst lighting device in the service period. I don't see why the mid-atlantic region loves them so much. They are aweful!

There are some departments out there that swear by them. I've only seen them in action once out on 95 in Virginia back in 95. I wasn't too impressed with them. There are some other departments out there that have not one, but TWO sets on the rig.

Gotta love speculation...I heard YFD was getting a chopper

I would not be in the least bit surprised if they requested one and it was given to them. God bless those guys, they seem to get anything they ask for.

Reserve E-317 (formerly E-306) The last Mack CF - was taken out of service today and will be moth balled - WE hope to restore it to original condition and use it for fire prevention, ceremonies & parades.

Roto Rays should never be seen in the Northeast period! Blah they are perhaps the worst lighting device in the service period. I don't see why the mid-atlantic region loves them so much. They are aweful!

Ummmm, Roto-Rays have been in the Northeast for years but started to disappear in the 60's due to better lighting. Not for nothing, I wouldn't want one on my rig since they area hard to repair and trucks come with enough lights on them.

As for the new pumps and sticks coming in I can't wait to see them. Hopefully I'll hear something when the sticks are up at NEFEA since the shop is only 15 minutes from my house. If I hear anything when hey due come into CT, I'll try to get some spy shots.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Maybe the 3 New Sticks will come thru NEFEA, but I would think that the New ALF Rescue Truck will come thru Campbell Supply

That's wonderful news that YFD will honor the Old Mack CF 306, by taking it out of service to be used for parades, services, etc. With that, has Yonkers made any plans yet to renumber their spares and reserves, or are they still going to wait until the 3 New ALF Eagle Pumpers, 3 New Smeal Sticks and the New ALF Eagle Tandem Axel Rescue Rig arives? Are they going to replace Spare 301 and 302 (with what Former Units) and Reserve 305, 316 amd 317 with what former units? Finally, obviously the Current Rescue 1 will go into being the Spare once the New Rescue 1 arrives (what will YFD call the Spare Rescue, Rescue 2?) and what about the Spare Sticks, what will now be Spare 76 and Reserve 78 and 79? Does anyone have any insight to these reclassifications yet?

Reserve E-317 (formerly E-306) The last Mack CF  - was taken out of service today and will be moth balled - WE hope to restore it to original condition and use it for fire prevention, ceremonies & parades.

WOW, that's great news- If it was to be restored, that would be awesome! It's a classic now, and will be more so in the future!

Now, as far as the Roto-Rays go, County Police's Bomb squad, a E-One Cyclone II, has a Roto-Ray.

Very popular in Maryland, but more of a novelty in my opinion, and the money spent on this can be better spent elsewhere. My other personality thinks that since this is a unique warning device, that it would catch the publics attention more so than another lighting package.

The HME/Smeals will come through North Haven, CT near Izzy's house (and I hope he will give me a heads up too) prior to final delivery, as that's the Smeal dealer for the Westchester area. Campbell Supply is the ALF dealer for Yonkers, and the Rescue will come through their facility in NJ prior to final delivery, like the new engines will. Based on what I've seen and heard, these deliveries will be spectacular.

Edited by x635

i'd love to see the restored mack in that next st. patty's day parade!!! smile.gif sweet

Well I totally disagree with you. There are brighter lights out there yes, but in this current world of wicked fast LED flashing, lots of this stuff gets lost when it's still daylight out or if there is multiple lanes of oncoming traffic (including the responding apparatus) coming towards other drivers. I believe the best forward warning setup for apparatus is the following:

LED lightbar or split bars for Trucks.

Alternating headlights

Strobes mounted in the grille or above the headlights like Seagraves or Spartan's

Roto-Ray ontop of the grille

Mars 888's mounted in front of the mirrors.

Loading up a rig with just LEDs, just strobes, or just halogen lighting is usless. A combination of the three is what helps in all weather and daylight conditions.

I've run my a s s off in the northeast and the mid atlantic and rigs that still run modern lighting with a Roto-Ray and Mars 888 are more visable then some techno LED rig.

FYI - The St. Patrick's day parade in Yonkers as far as I know is the only parade in Yonkers that does not allow any type of motorized vehicle - as per the parade committee - they have used a horse drawn carriage for vip's that for one reason or another can not make the walk down boadway - that has been their tradition - perhaps for Memeorial day with the 52' ALF ladder that is being restored!

thats unfortunate chief fitz...wouldve been nice to see that this year driving down the road with the YFD pipes and drums in front of them!!!

i nvr knew about that committee rule...i just def. remember seeing some trucks one year, but like u said it must have been the mem. day parade...thanks!

Is that '52 ALF Ladder the one that was sent down to Textron to be refurbed? (The one that was behind Station 10 for awhile?) or is this something else? (and if something else, what happened to the ALF that was sent to Textron?).

Sneak Peak photos from the factory of Spring Valley's new ALF with a Roto Ray on the front. Not sure if any Rockland Rig ever had a Roto Ray, may be a 1st !

user posted image

Beautiful Rigs!!!

Any chance anyone has some pictures of the new Yonkers rigs?

Sure they will be spectacular! smile.gif