Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Bye Bye, Blackberry

18 posts in this topic

Well, after over a month with the new Blackberry, and after admiring HFD23's new Nextel i580, I decided to ditch the Nextel Blackberry 7100i in favor of a Nextel i580.

Although the Blackberry was chock full of features, maybe even too many for my liking, I didn't like the feel of the phone- I truely prefer a flip phone. It was also too businesslike, and the layout and use of the phone features weren't nearly as convient for my taste as the i580 or my previous i730. And, as I've proven to myself in the past, I don't have the patience or drive to stick to using a PDA. Pen and paper notes and schedule work just fine for me.

The new i580 is a perfect fit for me- it's a flip, and is built rugged, and the case is designed to be weather and shock resistant. It's a rugged looking phone designed to take a beating. I really like the feel and features of this phone so far. It has some really cool features that I'm looking foward to trying. I also like the simulated diamond plate on parts of the phone.

It's also neat because it is a cameraphone, although I carry a camera everywhere all the time, I think it may be a neat tool. I also got one of those obnoxious mini hands-free bluetooth headsets, which should make things easier.

I considered the new Nextel "hybird" dual mode phones, but after reading some reviews, I'm going to wait 'til the technology develops some more. Plus, I don't want to have to have two seperate plans for one phone.

Thanks to HFD23 for helping me out with selecting this new phone. (The Blackberry is going back to Nextel or is for sale at the right price)

[attachmentid=1839]

[attachmentid=1840]

post-11-1167953176.jpg

post-11-1167953189.jpg

Edited by x635

I had been wanting to get that phone, only for the lack of having enough money to expend for such a nice one.

Although I did have the fortune to acquire a nice i870 for a very nice price, I would much prefer the durability of the i580 (I previously had an i850 before the i870, the not-quite-as-durable version of the i580). The i850 lacked the Bluetooth, and a lower quality camera-phone (although that may change as the quality of cameras in phones improve).

I debated picking one up on eBay to replaced my destroyed i730. I also looked into getting a hybrid, but also saw iffy reviews and when i talked to nextel directly the customer service rep. steered me away from it, apprently they have been having activation issues with them. Like 484 said, its a drag that the 580 has a 1.3 megapixel camera, no bluetooth, smaller screen and lacks a few other "goodies." In the end i settled on the i880 and am happy i did so. The "Red Wine" color is unique and i think the phone is still semi-rugged. Congrats on the new purchase and i hope it serves you well!

p.s. x635 - look into getting a bigger microSD Flash card, the 64mb is going to fill up fast if you take a lot of pics, ebay will help you out big time!

Edited by 66Alpha1

My company gave me a Blackberry. I can show you where I dumped it in the Hudson to a watery grave. It was the most annoying device I ever had. Hooked up to both my corporate and personal email it just gave people way too much access to me.

Still have the i730. Wish I still had my i90.

I've had the i580 since it came out and am very satisfied with it. And the crash proof case ????.....PERFECT !

I carry a Verizon Blackberry for work. Can double as a phone, but, need the NEXTEL capability to communicate with the troops. Verizon coverage is vastly superior to NEXTEL however.

Still have the i730. Wish I still had my i90.

lol I'm still rockin' the i-90, and I love it...But It is time for a new phone.

i got the i560 and it is preety durable, its the first nextel iv ever had and im liking it so far.

haha, i was looking into buying a new i90 on ebay for a spare tongue.gif

You should check the ic502. Simple slim phone, and the hybrid network is a lot better service wise.

well, the network isnt hybrid. For phone calls, texting, voice mail, data, etc. the hybrid uses the Sprint PCS network and for the walkie talkie the phone used the nextel iDen network. Its first generation technology so i've stayed away from it. Besides, the only thing the phone has is the hybrid feature, it doesn't have a camera, support flash memory, etc. The iDen is good enough for me to stay with normal nextels for the time being smile.gif

Stay away from the I836, this unit is designed for the business class who dont sweat, work in the rain or enter dusty enviroments. Lacks camera and has horrible audio. In Dutchess Co NEXTEL sucks.....hello VERIZON

I have been using the hybrid since November. I think it is great. Everyone in Nextel swore up and down that it would never work up in Dutchess. Glad I get to prove them wrong. Best coverage I ever had.

p.s. x635 - look into getting a bigger microSD Flash card, the 64mb is going to fill up fast if you take a lot of pics, ebay will help you out big time!

Yeah, right......like he NEEDS another camera?!?? wink.gifwacko.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Good old i710 i love it my frist nextel phone and i don't think i'm going to upgrade anytime soon.

Yeah, right......like he NEEDS another camera?!??  wink.gif  wacko.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

LOL!

Never can have too many! Got to have one with me at all times, after all!

I must say, Nextel's customer service and reception sucks, but they sure (with Motorola) build a rugged phone. My new i580 recently took a heavy impact, and was then submersed in mud and water....and still works like new. Don't know what would have happnened had it been another phone, which most likely would have broke.

On a side note, just ordered the bigger battery with the battery door to accomodate it.

u gotta get the new hybrid phone, its the best thing out there in regards to Nextel, if you are unfamilier it uses Sprint pcs phone service(regular phone calls), and then on the nextel power network for Direct Connect its really good service no dropped calls and tons of cool features 1 problem no camera on the phone.....yet