Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Flashover Survival class

17 posts in this topic

what is a Flashover Survival class all about. where can I take this class?

what is a Flashover Survival  class all about. where can I take this class?

The Flashover Course is designed to have the Firefighter gain skills in the process of fire development. The ffs can see fire development from the begining stages through what is really an exagerated roll over. You can see thermal balance in action and how the smoke layers inside a compartment. Remeber that the lessons learned in this training are for you to learn and watch fire development. The way that the fire is controlled is the way that it is done in Europe not here in the USA. The nozzle is designed for smaller amounts of water. If you use the techniques that are shown in the course to control the fire in an actual fire here, you will steam and burn your crew. I encourage you to take the course. Remember why you are there. Learn about fire development, learn about smoke, learn about the warning signs of flashover, learn about what happens when you vent the fire. This is a great class. Be safe. The two locations that I know of are at the Putnam County Fire Training Center and at the Rockland Coutny Fire Training Center.

what is a Flashover Survival  class all about. where can I take this class?

Rockland County Fire Training Center has one...

Would a flashover class really be much different from regular FF Survival?

Bunkers,

The Rockland Flashover class is MUCH different the FF Survival. This deals striclty with Flashover and how it occurs. There is a classroom session followed by going into the simulator where you see how flashover occurs and how to avoid it. It is highly recommended.

exmrvfc covered it. If you even plan on going into a structure fire take the flashover simmulator. From what I hear Rocklands is excellent. Even includes a fog vs smooth bore demo (my personal crusdae). If the simmulator you're going to doesn't scorch helmets and cause discomfort sitting in the burn box find another. Half of the experiance is seeing the way the fire litterally burns in the air above your head.

This isn't about being buffy and getting your gear all salty. This simmulator needs to be realistic to make the lasting impression that people need.

bigfitz...as the other members have stated, i too would highly reccomend taking the Flashover Training course! I have taken this course twice and feel that it is an excellent learning experience! It truly is an eye opener that will show how a flashover occurs, the signs to look for and how to avoid one.

I have taken it at the Rockland Co. FTC a few years back and it was great! As stated, they provide helmets for you so that you do not damage your personal or dept. owned helmet.

I have also gone through the Flashover Simulator in Middletown Township, NJ. They were basically the same, as most are.

I'm not 100% sure, but i believe Putnam County FTC may have a Flashover Simulator that you may want to look into. I know that Orange County does not and Westchester does not either, obvioulsy.

Connecticut Fire Academy has one in Windsor Locks and Stamford Regional Fire School will be getting one in the near future. This is a great class, in my opinion it should be part of FF1.

We goto Rockland County every year for the flashover training. It is well worth it and great for new members who have finished FF1 and Survival. Highly reccommed it

Did the county plan you build a flashover simmulator at WCFTC I have seen it in a old budget of the county?

I have to ask:

You took Flashover training: WHAT DID YOU LEARN?

Not my question originally but it's stuck with me since this training has been offered.

I was fortunate to have gone through at randalls island during flips school and found it very worthwhile.you cant sense those temperatures in a simulation,and i mean to the point of right before it flashes,when the air in your pack starts to come out hot in your mask.you can actually watch the change from open flame ,to the rolling right to flash.it was also worthwhile to incorporate the tic and watch the change while monitering the temps.I personally feel if your going to be an officer and be responsible for leading guys on the search,this would be a good evolution.

I have to ask:

You took Flashover training: WHAT DID YOU LEARN?

Not my question originally but it's stuck with me since this training has been offered.

I have not yet took Flashover training I want to.

Its one thing to hear about black fire and burning air, but its a whole different thing to see it. Its been years, but I can still perfectly picture flames appearing seemingly out of nowhere in the smoke right above your head.

OK I'll ask again: WHAT DO YOU LEARN? What can you say with with any assurance about flashover?

1. Can you say you know and have seen all the indicators?

2. Can you say at what point you would order your crew to bail?

3. Can you say how much penciling or water bursts you'll need to alleviate an impending flashover?

I've seen a backdraft happen in a toaster oven, but I wouldn't say that its help me at all in the last 20 years of firefighting. Pretty impressive though and makes a good story.

The Flashover Simulator (Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, NYC) is an invaluable learning experience. It is important to remember what your role as a student is. The way in which the fire is fought and controlled in the simulator is the way they fight fire in Europe and not the way we do it here in the US. The nozzle is designed to deliver litters per minute as opposed to gallons per minute. There is a big difference in the amount of water or more importantly the amount of water to steam conversion that is produced. The important lessons learned in the simulator are to use all of your senses. Remember that Flashover is total room involvement. What actually occurs is an exaggerated rollover. Observe the fire development from incipient to rollover. Observe the thermal balance and what happens when air is introduced as the ventilation process takes place. It is easy to get caught up waiting for the flame development above your helmet, but the most important part is how the fire conditions develop to that point. Watch the smoke begin to layer, watch the color and buoyancy begin to change and when rollover (the red snakes of flame) begin to appear in the smoke and these are the lessons that are to be learned so you will know when to get out of that environment. You will learn the big picture of risk versus benefit and when the fire conditions provide for untenable atmospheres for victims. I encourage you to take a class and see what occurs in a controlled fire with limited combustibles. I hope that this helps. Be safe.

Its a very specific controled environment. Given that you see several indicators, but not all. If I ever had to fight a particle board fire inside a steel container I would know when to bail and I would know how much water it takes to knock back a flashover.

No fire simmulator wether it be propane or wood pallets shows you everything you're looking for because they just don't match real world conditions.

I does give you some of the indicators of impeding flashover, you can see how much a difference a small amount of water can make, and you can see the dangers of disrupting the thermal balance with a fog nozel.