Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Port Authority Is Taking Over Stewart?

15 posts in this topic

Apparently, it's old news but still news to me today that the Port Authority is taking over Stewart Aiport.

I wonder if this means that Stewart Airport PD and Crash Fire-Rescue will be handled now by the Port Authority PD?

That also would mean they would have to hire more officers.

the mission for stewart fd will remain the same, we are responsible for the military aircraft assigned to us and it will not effect SFD> There might be some changes when it comes to the airport with civilian a/c and there is a couple of different things that may happen, not sure about it and I know it will be awhile before any changes do take place. not an overnight thing!

Edited by hudson144

Apparently, it's old news but still news to me today that the Port Authority is taking over Stewart Aiport.

I wonder if this means that Stewart Airport PD and Crash Fire-Rescue will be handled now by the Port Authority PD?

That also would mean they would have to hire more officers.

There has been talk for years that Stewart is going to become another major airport for NYC, so far this is the biggest step toward turning Stewart into the 4th Metropolitan Airport.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

There has been talk for years that Stewart is going to become another major airport for NYC, so far this is the biggest step toward turning Stewart into the 4th Metropolitan Airport.

They need to get several things done like have NJ create legislation similar to what NY for approval, then they have to get a few things accepted by different federal offices like the FAA to start with. But according to the newspapers officials are planning for an early October takeover by the Port Authority.

Great more planes flying over my house!

Wow, Stewart seems alittle far North to be a PA gig or to be a "4th Metropolitan airport"... anyone else agree?

Same....Steward is a little far to be an airport for NYC..........its over an hour away from the city

Westchester County airport might be a better choice for a NYC metro airport...........but there are others in NJ like titerboro that could be the 4th as well

This choice probably has to do more with capabilities, not location. Even though Westchester may be closer, it cannot handle anything over a Boeing 737 (roughly). Stewart is an international airport and has much larger runways.

Having just flown in and out of Stewart this weekend, I was thinking if it would improve current operations or not.

I will say one thing, having flown out of Stewart on Saturday, security checks were among the strictest I've seen. They were throwing away items left and right when passengers didn't adhere to the 3 oz limit "3-1-1" (liquid or gel) items in carry on bags. Additionally, no one got through with any drink bottles. Any indication of prohibited items through the x-ray's, bags were openly searched. It took me twenty minutes to get through security with two lanes open and three flights preparing to depart with in the next couple of hours.

In comparison, departing MCO (Orlando International) today, security was very lax. I forgot to take my toiletries (in the quart plastic bag) out of my carry on and it was never picked up on by TSA agents. In fact the agents in MCO appeared to be too distracted to do their job effectively. Granted, it is a much busier airport than Stewart, but, there is a lot more agents to do the job. It only took me about five minutes to get though security with about 12 lanes operating and who knows how many flights departing.

Currently there is no (or has there ever that I remember) Stewart PD. The terminal and grounds are patroled by the New York State Police.

There is a crash truck for the runway, I think it's operated by the ANG (not positive). The Vail's Gate FD also responds to all incidents on the airport grounds. The firehouse on road way approaching the airport has been closed for quit some time.

Even though Westchester may be closer, it cannot handle anything over a Boeing 737 (roughly). Stewart is an international airport and has much larger runways.

Stewart has one of the largest runways in the area as it regularly handles C-130's, C-5's and is on the Space Shuttle list as an alternate runway for landing. Only JFK has a larger runway.

Per AirNav Stewart's larger runway is over 11,800 ft long compared to 6,500 feet for Westchester and just over 7,000 ft for Laguardia. Only JFK has a longer runway which is over 14,000 feet long.

Edited by TRUCK6018

There is a crash truck for the runway, I think it's operated by the ANG (not positive).  The Vail's Gate FD also responds to all incidents on the airport grounds.  The firehouse on road way approaching the airport has been closed for quit some time.

Stewart has one of the largest runways in the area as it regularly handles C-130's and is on the Space Shuttle list as an alternate runway for landing.  Only JFK has a larger runway.

Stewart ARFF is operated by the USAF ANG, covering both aspects of FAA (civilian) and Military regulations. They also provide all structural firefighting (first due) coverage for the air base, and have multiple agencies on mutual aid assignments, including Vails Gate, Goodwill, and Newburgh FD (many others, too many for me to know, or remember).

Stewart is also in the process of upgrading to a larger, newer facility to house their fire apparatus.

Same....Steward is a little far to be an airport for NYC..........its over an hour away from the city

Westchester County airport might be a better choice for a NYC metro airport...........but there are others in NJ like titerboro that could be the 4th as well

Teterboro has been owned by the Port Authority since 1950. Pan Am Airlines operated the airport on behalf of the PA for many years. Johnson Controls took over from Pan Am after the airlines shut down. The longest runway is about 7,000 feet. The citizens around Teterboro would lose their minds if the PA even thought of letting airlines operate out of Teterboro. There is a park and ride on Rt 17 in Ridgewood (Bergen County) which is marketed for travelers to Newark Airport. I guess there is significant passengers available in the Northwest section of NJ as well as Rockland, Orange, Sullivan, and Ulster Counties

Metro-North has always looked into the possibility of extending the Port Jervis Line up to the airport.

Stewart does seem a little far north for the PAPD, but then again its a HUGE airport. PAPD may be very beneficial.

That firehouse that truck6018 is talking about has been closed down for some time now. That was the old stewart army base firehouse. About 10 years ago (give or take a couple of years) the military base was covered by the stewart army fire dept. and the runways and terminals were covered by the ANG CFR. Then the stewart army fire trucks (there were only 3, 2 pumpers and a tanker) were all given to west point (2 of the 3 have been disposed of since) and the ANG CFR was given a contract to protect everything on base as well as what they had. The ANG CFR now has about 11 trucks and if any thing big goes down there they have 8 departments on automatic response including; the city of newburgh , goodwill, vails gate, new windsor, coldenham, winona lake, orange lake and mobile life. I dont know if any thing will change if the PAPD takes over, but I guess time will tell.

For all the shuttle buffs out there, don't come looking for a shuttle landing anytime soon. Plattsburgh was on th elanding list till it closed. Stewart never was. There are I believe 13 landing options and about 30 aborted takeoff sites.

For all the shuttle buffs out there, don't come looking for a shuttle landing anytime soon.  Plattsburgh was on th elanding list till it closed.  Stewart never was.  There are I believe 13 landing options and about 30 aborted takeoff sites.

I stand corrected, I heard that somewhere (the media, enough said), but can't find anything now to confirm it.

I did find a list of shuttle landing sites:

Global Security.Org