Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Why Did You Join?

22 posts in this topic

I?m not sure if this was every talk about this board. I just would like to know why some of the member of the join the Fire service or EMS. You can Be paid or Volunteer

It was in my blood. Third generation in my family to join. I grew up in the Firehouse. Thirty years and I still go out at three in the morning.

My Dad made me do it.....

All kidding aside, I'm like Steve, it's in my blood. I am a fourth generation member and I think almost every male on my Dad's side of the clan was a member at one point, and even my Mom and my Sister have jumped on too. It's such a great life being in the firehouse - you make a lot of friends, create a thousand memories and you always have somewhere to go when you need some cheering up. Those on the paid side say they have the best job in the world, and I'd have to agree - how many people really get paid to do what they love?!

I find this funny because i'm sure my answer is goin to be the same as alot of people on here only I'm happy i'm saying it first. "I wanted to help people"

sds cheesy but really thats it. I wanted to do something that meant something to someone, so @ 16 I became an emt and rode w/a corp in NJ till I moved to ny and rode up here then, on the paid side I wanted to do something that I loved doing and I did it for free so I went to fdny ems so i'm pretty lucky so far. I have other plans career wise but i'm sure no 1 wants to hear that. Thats my story.

I joined EMS because it was in my blood, but not it the normal way. I mean that since I was very young, I have done community service. I grew up in Boy Scouts and my parents were also very service minded (still are) So when I got to college, and I realized they had a ambulance squad, and that it would probably be a really fun and it would fit right in w/ all the other activities I did, I joined. I always joked about it being a backup job when I got out of college, yet after collgege here I am, involved in a two volly squads and two paid services!

I joined a Volunteer dept for one reason and one reason only....

The money's great!

on a serious note, I've always loved it when I was little, being my grandfather was a FI in Yonkers FD, and growing up around him made me want to do the same thing. Even though I'm so young in the FD, I love every minute of it.

I'm a fourth generation firefighter at my company, which is located and was founded on the street named after my great - great grandparents who built the first house on the street and my grandmother still owns today. I can trace several family members back to the beginning of the company.

My Grandfather was a fire-fighter in the blitz and as a small kid was around firetucks quite a bit. These days it's that little shot of adrenaline - thinking on my feet, the camaraderie and the service.

For me it was a stong desire to help people and to do something I could feel really proud of and would be so rewarding. I'm starting much older than most going into this field, but I didn't go into it for the money and I love being a volunteer with both an ambulance corp as well as a FD with their EMS. Better late than never right?

It's the only job i have ever wanted to do. i tried other jobs from working in a cancer hospital to business to being a medical technician. i always felt that something was missing and it was just not me.

I come from a family were where my elders were all servicemen. My father is a Vietnam army vet, his father flew a for the 8th Air Force in WWII, and my other grandfather was in the Navy.

I want to serve my community and when i am old and gray, i can tell say, with confidence, that i made a difference and that my kids and grandkids can be proud of me.

I joined my first dept in 1980 as a junior. I was led in by my neighbor. I was a typical young kid going nowhere with an attitude which was soon to be adjusted. I got into helping people and also the excitement and rush and learning new things was appealing. Never scored high enough on the written exams to go full time but I did land a nice part time gig as an instructor in which I dedicated alot of time taking classes to become one, many just to pick up techniques of other instructors.

I was 20 years old and had nothing else better to do so i went to a friendship nite with my best friend who volunteers. By the end of the nite i had my application signed. I couldnt get enough of it. I became a emt volunteered at a VAC and spent countless hours running calls. From then on i knew this was in my blood. I got my FF classes in and then got my emt-i. I took a career job 750 miles away and im loving every minute of it. Im now testing for NREMT-P and have FF2 and countless other classes.

I recently found out my grand father was a fire chief in NJ. so i guess it is in my blood.

My Father was a Fire Police Captain when I was a kid, my Uncles were firefighters too, all of my friends dads were firefighters. As kids. after a fire we would go to the firehouse and roll hose.I would sometime go to fires with my dad. I grew up with it . When I turned 18 I had little interest in joining you see I was going to be a Professional race car driver. Well after maturing a little bit I was out one night and a thunderstorm hit there was a fire I saw an engine go by me an felt something. I wanted to help. The next day I told my Father I wanted to join, he was proud. I called my friend who was a captain then and I think he was at my house with an application in munutes. That was over 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. After a couple of years as a volunteer, I loved it so much I wanted to make a career of it. And was fortunate to be able to do so. Becoming a firefighter both volunteer and career was one of the best things to happen to me. smile.gif

i joined because i grew up next to a fire house in darien (i was always at my dad's restaurant) and i always used to go to look at the trucks. my cousin is a firefighter and i always follwed in his footsteps so hear i am a voli at noroton and he was at noroton heights and is now a career firemen in norwalk and i hope to get on the job there some day

Edited by sr71

I joined to help people

thats the bottom line we all joined to help our fellow man

i joined because my dad is a firefighter and its a fun job not like any other job

As one of the last people who thought they'd end up in the fire service, and having been here almost 20 years, I asked the same question once of people and got interesting answers. Those of us with no family history or cultural connection often report an experience with fire before the age of 12. My husband's father's business burned to the ground when he was young and he remembers the experience vividly.

I was four when the neighbor's barn went up at the end of haying season with animals inside. Still, if I am in a fire and feel the heat seep in where the nomex hood meets the collar of the turnouts, I get flashbacks. Ask the unlikely firefighters/ems if there ever was a sentinel event you may be surprised how many recall something when they were young.

The emotional subconscious is a remarkable thing. You're grown up, minding your own business sipping a double latte and doing the Sunday NYT crossword in ink when all of a sudden something irresistable pops up inside and says "Go out there and DO SOMETHING about fire."

I Always wanted to join a FD when i was a kid i still do, When i tryed to join they let me down, Hell i could get in just to help out at the station, thats a long story, to this day i still pissed off at the FD for it havent tryed to go back yet, even tho i had FF firnds that didnt help any to getting in, Hell they would kick me out just going to vist

EMS did make 1 of my dreams come true, i joined expoler program at 14 at 19 i came offical member helping out at station, i did get ride along some and go to classes, but cause of bad hearing and all i cant become EMT or CFR

In 05 after Kartina hit i joined red cross and thanks to them i really felt helpfull and was out there helping people and working with FFs and all

Hopefully i can join a FD someday somewhere

I'm very proud to be a red cross volunteer

Its in the blood for me too! My father has been a volunteer fireman for thirty something years and in EMS for about 8 years, my mom has been has been a volunteer EMT for 19 yrs, and my grandfather was a cop, and a volunteer fireman. My sister and I grew up between the firehouse and ambulance corps. So its no surprise I followed in my moms footsteps and became an EMT and Officer. It is also a great feeling helping people you know and care about. Helping them for free makes it even more worth it.

I would never change or reget anything growing up in the VOLUNTEER EMS/FIRE world. It has been a great experience! biggrin.gif

for the free sodas

I joined because I felt I had to. Ever since I was little, I always wanted to be either a cop or a firefighter. Then I found out that at 14 I could become a junior firefighter. So I did, and I felt somewhat accomplished because I was starting a lifelong goal. No one in my family is in any emergency services, although my brother is going for NYPD. But other then him, no one is in the emergency services. But I still wanted to be in, and am planning to make a lifelong career. Im actually starting college next year to get a degree in fire science and emergency medical technology, and after that a degree in fire administration and criminal justice. All to give me a better chance at a variety of job opportunities in the fire service.