Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

Valhalla Muster, at the Dam.

27 posts in this topic

AWESOME Photos!!!!!!!!!! What a muster that must have been!! The bottom photo says it all.

Thanks for sharing them with us!! :-)

Now thats the kind of muster I remember from years ago. God, I wish they still had one's like that. It owuld be great to see again.

That top photo is really great! Yes, that's Larchmont's old Brockway rescue and next to it is Weaver Street's old ALF Tiller! Great shots! I really enjoyed the album! I vaguely remember the musters at the dam... boy they were great!

AWESOME SHOTs!!! Thanks for sharing them with the rest of the gang!

Ah, The ol' Fairchester Hose Haulers Association Muster. Remember them well- always had an awesome time! Nothing has ever beaten the ol' "cannon ball alley", it is still discaussed at Musters all over- I had a talk about it at the Engine 260 Muster last week.

We still have numerous awards in Somers that our old Rescue 20 took there year after year!

I remember that FDNY pumper well also, that was the one that an article was done on, back in the 70's. I believe there is a discussion somewhere in this forum about that, if I recall.

Yes, that's Larchmont's old Brockway rescue and next to it is Weaver Street's old ALF Tiller!

That was TMFD's Ladder 19, a 1940 ALF Series 500 100' Tiller. That was replaced in 1971- unless that was there by a private owner- these pictures may be from 1971.

I may have asked this already, but do the Fairchester Hose Haulers Association still exist?????

Do I smell a resurrection? "EMTBRavo Muster" perhaps? Come on seth. You know you wanna. :D

Do I smell a resurrection? "EMTBRavo Muster" perhaps? Come on seth. You know you wanna.  :D

Actually, you're right.........................

I can get my hands on a photo showing another angle of all the trucks. From what i've heard, Pelham's antique could shoot a stream over the dam (that's what i heard, i have no idea how truthful it is so dont hold me to it).

I'd love to see the Muster brought back. It would allow us younger generations to experience all the fun.

We have pictures of this muster hanging up in Katonah in Kitchen area BHFD old Snorkel 1 can be seen in last picture it isnt flying Katonah Engine 114 is there in extreme Bottom right last picture I need to look at date on back of picture at KFD

The year- 1975.

The location- Kensico Dam Muster

First Prize for Farthest Stream- Eagle Engine 6, Pelham FD

(As stated on card behind photo, and from first hand sources within the department)

Eagle 6 is producing the stream that appears to blend with the clouds at the top of the dam.

(Please note: Im not trying to out-do anybody with this imformation, i just found it to be exciting. I do not wish to take away from the overall experience of the day. I would love to see one happen again some time soon. We all could use a day of gathering and story telling, along with a showing of various antiques and collectables. It would definitely be a great time for all.)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/210084...210085057iFHZbd

some clssic rigs at that muster.

it would def. be good to see some mustards in the county. i know that croton did one for a couple of years. it was a great thing to go to and a lot of fun. come on seth i think u should have one

YES IT WAS FUN!!! =D> =D> =D> 8)

I was at a few of those musters in Croton at the dam. I think those photos were the 74 muster. The 50th at Port Chester, I think I have some pics of also, I'll scroung through and see if I can find the dates.

Does anyone know why we stopped doing the musterss??? I know they are before my time but I have seen nothing but pictures of the old ones and what happened? Also does anyone know who use to run them? I know there is alot of work that has to be done just to hold an anniversy parade. How many people would actaully want to help with this? I think it would be great for the county to see all the different departments.

The Musters were originally started and run by the old Fairchesters Hose Haulers Assn. The first few started with a parade that came down through Valhalla and then followed by the games and show.

There were great fun team events, the apparatus pumping out of the pool, a giant flea market, apparatus just to look at and great comraderie.

Like everything else in the fire service, the same guys did all the work and there was alot to be done with that muster. Two of the main guys that made it work were Howie Phieffer from Mohegan and A. J. Quirk from Mamaroneck.

I believed there were also some issues with the County and the direction that they wanted to see the dam area become. When the muster moved to Croton, it just couldn't compete with what the dam had to offer.

Howie is also heavily involved with the muster in Milford,Ct every September. He travels up from Fl to help out every year.

I remember the Muster's at the Dam. fun day for all, always on a Saturday in June if I remember correctly.

AJ Quirk lived in Rye. Member of Poningoe Engine & Hose company out of Fire HQ

He is a mechanic by trade ( specializing in Fire Apparatus) He now lives on Cape Cod.

I'm looking at the first two photos on this page, they're definitely not at Kensico or Croton. See that gull-winged building in the background? There's one like that (or was, anyway) at Yonkers Raceway. Also, I think the projection hut at the old Elmsford Drive-In theater had something like that too.

Edited by Stepjam

some of the photos were taked at the Yonkers Raceway for a fun raiser for the Burn Center apx 1975=76.

all the fire services rallied and raised money for the county to start the center.