Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Mulford Gardens Housing Complex

18 posts in this topic

Went by Mulford Gardens yesterday on my way to get our dinner. I know that there is only one person still living there but wow what a difference (sorry). I could have sworn I saw a huge dust bunny flying around. Of course, it will be torn down soon so I am planning a trip in early to work to photo the place prior to destruction. And for all those who had to find their way through the maze when they worked at Empress, we will miss it! Oh and apparently the lady living there is suing so I don't know how long it will be til it is officially cleared out!

Fact:

Mulford Gardens Housing Compex aka Emmet Burke Gardens

located in the confines of the 4th Police Pct., first due E309/L71, Empress Post 2 bus, between Vineyard Ave to the East and St Josephs Ave to the West, High St to the north and Mulford to the South...(that is wrong but I cannot remember the st name) 3 floor attached row type brick buildings...approximately 70-80 units in all...very narrow alleyways located between rows which are built diagonal stretching from sw to ne with entrances located on the north side of the buildings.

Edited by Oswegowind

Good riddance to the place. I know there were some old folks trapped there back in the seventies, I'm sure they've either passed on or have relocated.

All Yonkers needs to do now is demolish School Street Houses, Schlobaum, Riverview Towers, Jefferson Terrace, and maybe Phillipse Towers, and Yonkers will be on the way up. I'm a civilian who was brought up in that ghetto, so I'm not stepping out of bounds by making what would be considered such an "unbecoming of a (insert job title here)" by the political hacks.

I say maybe about Phillipse Towers becasue a remember that place was considered to be a very swanky address when I was a kid; but with all of the urban combat that's going on in the area, I can't imagine anyone with the means to move out of that 'hood would still be there. Shop-Rite tried to split so many times, but the city's lawyers keep them there.

Wow this is news to me. I have known for a while that the city of Yonkers wanted to tear down some(if not all) of their public housing. I cant believe they are actually going through with it. I usually laugh when politicians say they are working to clean up Yonkers, but maybe something is actually getting done.

Well the current MG is being torn down to make room for larger more modern buildings...I believe the land is property of the MHA and that would mean just larger housing facilities...so don't think the jects are leaving the Y-O for ever...

That place was a nightmare to work in!

That is for SURE!

I think Oswego's right - it is still under the municipal housing authority and will likely be the site of a new housing project, in a newer more modern building.

Wow!

Interesting..........

I spent alot of time in them Bricks........

We did a CRAZY stabbing there once - and the MOB of ANGRIES was worse than the trauma code........ That was rediculous, yet exhilerating!

To think my parents lived in Mulford Gardens cause it was a step up from where they lived in the Bronx. They moved out of there in 1963 right after I was born.

oswegowind,

If at all possible, please consider donating extras of those photos to both the Yonkers and Westchester Historical Societies.

These places were not that bad when they were first built and families were stable back in the day.

Also, the Journal News was incorrect in identifying Whitney Young as a Mitchell Lama project. it actually was a Section 236 building constructed under the NY State Urban Development Corporation program.

Whitney Young is definitely a project but never fell under the MHA. Is a privately owned venture. Yonkers has many MHA locations...Housing Police (YPD 500-512 cars) cover Schlobaum Gardens (Schroeder St)<501>, Mulford Gardens aka Emmet Burke Gardens<503>, Cottage Pl Gardens (bet N Broadway/Warburton...just North of Ashburton)<504>, and Calgano Housing (55 & 80 School St, 14 Brook St.)<502>

The rest are covered by the generic sector car. Others include the Walsh Rd senior housing facility, Flynn Manor, and many more locations not deemed as dangerous locations I would guess.

Just some FYI...MFY

osewegowind,

Yesterday's Journal News summed up what I have been saying all along--as the inner city areas change for the better slowly, the owners will opt out of their government housing obligations when their mortgages expire.

Whitney Young will likley never go market rate, but you can bet that Parkledge

( 220 Yonkers Ave @ Saw Mill Pkwy) could be a conversion based on it's ideal location and it is somewhat isolation from the bad end of town, But I know they are having problems there now which can be remedied if the owner's so choose.

It was always regarded as the best of the Section 236 buildings in Yonkers when Ginsburg owned it.

Seven Pines on Glenwood Ave is anothe possible candidate for conversion based on it's proximity to the railroad station. And maybe 10-15 years from now if the waterfront expansion extends outward enough, even Riverview One and Two could end up converted if the demographics change.

The Daily News reported in recent days of numerous apt buildings being bought in both both East Harlem and the Grand Concourse, Bronx.

There is good reason why certain city hall insiders bought up those houses on Buena Vista Avenue...

Yeah true...I posted a link in sites worth visiting for the lohud.com site. In the Yonkers local section they have the dwbid plans for all three phases outlined. Including BVA and Hawthorne Ave's being re developed along the rr tracks and another area of interest is what appears to be another future commuter hub known as Ludlow which encompasses the Ludlow stop on the Hudson Line trains. The general vicinity is run down apartments but is generally not as bad as the section just east of Riverdale Ave. I think it is great they are trying to expand in the immediate area of rail stations to reduce the amount of gas guzzling autos being used on a daily basis. I am sure the MTA loves it too... laugh.gif

I will be trying to also get some shots from the Yonkers platform this week of the 3rd building in the Van Der Donck St development which is just north of the City Pier. This premise is being built upon the grounds of the old Metro North parking lot west of the Train Station that used to house their PD units and such.

Another project (non housing) is the apartment building that is nearing completion on Riverdale Ave...vic of 217...not sure of the # just yet...but I have it written down somewhere.

Lots of work going on!

I think 217 Riverdale Avenue is a non MHA senior citizen building.

The Planning Board is reviewing a proposed 70 unit apt building near Ludlow Station, unrelated to the Struver-Cappelli project. Not sure if it's rental or condos.

The Yonkers city jail ( Hilton on the Hudson) will have to be relocated for the Alexander Street development. Please tell me the YPD has been informed of this !!!.....I heard it months ago directly from the former CDA Commissioner.

As part of this development, the city should ask the developer for a waterfront facilty for both the YPD and YFD boats.

The Yonkers city jail ( Hilton on the Hudson) will have to be relocated for the Alexander Street development. Please tell me the YPD has been informed of this !!!.....I heard it months ago directly from the former CDA Commissioner.

As part of this development, the city should ask the developer  for a waterfront facilty for both the YPD and YFD boats.

We have heard about a "new" jail. I have not heard where. I will have to get some shots of the "old" jail for my archives. And I do agree on a YPD/YFD Marine substation, maybe they can add it the the new environmental center/park opposite the jail...the bezack center??? Would seem appropriate as to location. The city pier is out...now with the restaurant nearing completion. The JFK Marina is a great spot, but not sure if it is buildable (?) other than those 2 locations there is no place I can see...and trust me, x901 and I used to well, I'll just say roam off post a bit! or explore the city of Yonkers in depth while assigned to EMS duties. Right Dave!?

ah... the things that we discovered