Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Where's Your Camera?

30 posts in this topic

FOR EXAMPLE:

Today, Verplank was at the Westchester FTC, flowing water into the pond. The new ex-Blauvelt new North White Plains 1983 Pierce Arrow Engine 75 was sitting there, perfectly posed for a photo. Also, the county has the Tech Rescue support truck sitting outside. Not to mention the new Tech Rescue truck.

I would like to know....so many people have digital cameras, how about taking and sharing some of the great photo ops as mentioned above?

Digital cameras are made to take photos for upload to your computer....websites are made to share them!

Mine is sitting in its original box awaiting shipping back to Canon.

I broked mine :-( (yes I know I spelled it wrong, it was intentional)

i broke mine too. also unless you want pics of cows theres not much to shoot in central PA at least fire wise. When i get home i will start shooting again.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Today, Verplank was at the Westchester FTC, flowing water into the pond. The new ex-Blauvelt new North White Plains 1983 Pierce Arrow Engine 75 was sitting there, perfectly posed for a photo. Also, the county has the Tech Rescue support truck sitting outside.  Not to mention the new Tech Rescue truck.

I would like to know....so many people have digital cameras, how about taking and sharing some of the great photo ops as mentioned above?

Digital cameras are made to take photos for upload to your computer....websites are made to share them!

With all due respect kind sir, people are on here making comments all the time that they submit photos and they never get posted. Maybe they have come to the conclusion that things submitted won't be posted?! Just a thought.

PS - you forgot to mention that Yorktown's Ladder 51 was here today too. And I forgot my camera at home.....again.

With all due respect kind sir, people are on here making comments all the time that they submit photos and they never get posted.  Maybe they have come to the conclusion that things submitted won't be posted?!  Just a thought.

PS - you forgot to mention that Yorktown's Ladder 51 was here today too.  And I forgot my camera at home.....again.

I'm mainly reffering to not sharing here on the forum.

As far as people complaining photos don't get posted, some photos I can't use or don't have time to post or am not able to. How do you post a single, grainy, poorly lit nightime shot of a rig in a garage? Or several poorly framed or blocked shots. To be blunt, look at the photos that are posted on the site. That's what I'm looking for. Not crappy shots.

I don't want to be a photo snob, but it's the clean, well lit, properly framed, nice photos of recent incidents, new deliveries, unique happenings, and most of all "spy shots" that have the best chance of being posted. I post good photos that are of interest to the general membership of the site.

If you read my latest update on photo posting, I reccomend each member establish their own online gallery. People expect a lot from me, and don't realize or appreciate it takes a lot of my time to post their photos.

I'd like to also add I'm always looking for that great feature photo for the front page. A single GREAT shot of action, new apparatus, spy shot, etc..

Back to the main topic of this thread, two of my camera's are in my truck charged up and ready. One is in my girlfriends car.

what about the memory card!

I had my camera and three lenses ready to shoot at an MVA down the street from my house (it was litgit to... the whole front end of the car was destroyed and there was some nice smoke from under the hood)

I raised the camera to me eye to take a photo of it before the first unit even arrived!

but... My memory card was in my computer at my house...not only did I miss all the good shots, I missed ALL of the shots.

next time I go shooting Im not only gonna ask wheres my camera, Im gonna ask WHERES THE MEMORY CARD!!!!!!

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, had my camera out for a good shot.....

And the memory card was in my laptop at home.

I was a second alarm fire in a wharehouse that makes modular homes last week....heavy smoked, lots of trucks posed....my camera was in my Tahoe...

...that had been towed to the dealer that morning!

Ouch...Sorry to hear the Dan.

Fortunately, I never have to ask where my camera is or where my memory card is (I have a dozen...different types of course)...just I don't really listen to a scanner when I am not already manning a radio in Yonkers, and don't seem to have any luck but once and a while!

Hey, hows it going? I have a digital camera, but I am not very computer savy. rolleyes.gif If I have some pictures to share, do I just paste them to a post? Or should I send an attachment, whats the best way for you to get the pictures?

Thanks.

Brian "Moose"

FOR EXAMPLE:

Today, Verplank was at the Westchester FTC, flowing water into the pond. The new ex-Blauvelt new North White Plains 1983 Pierce Arrow Engine 75 was sitting there, perfectly posed for a photo. Also, the county has the Tech Rescue support truck sitting outside.  Not to mention the new Tech Rescue truck.

Hey, hows it going?  I have a digital camera, but I am not very computer savy. rolleyes.gif  If I have some pictures to share, do I just paste them to a post?  Or should I send an attachment, whats the best way for you to get the pictures?

Thanks.

Brian "Moose"

First things first. You can download them from Camera to your computer. At least you know that! Secondly, save them into a folder, like 'My Documents' Thirdly on the post reply screen, you will see the 'add this attachment' button. Click the 'browse' button to the left of it. Select your folder and file, hit ok, then hit add this attachment. Viola, you've just posted a pic. HOWEVER, SOME COMPUTERS HAVE 2 'MY PICTURES' FOLDERS. ONE IS IN 'MY VIDEOS.' THE OTHER IS UNDER 'My Documents'

Hope this helps.

Mike

It's in the car, but there really hasn't been anything noteworthy to shoot lately. Besides, personal things have kept me from doing my out and abouts lately.

PS, I'm not that good of a photographer.

It's home, but when I go out and about, it'll be in the car. Ya never know when you'll need it.

FOR EXAMPLE:

I HAVE 3 DIGITAL CAMARAS ONE I KEEP IN MY FIRE GEAR (MY CANON SD400) AND THE OTHER 2 I KEEP AT HOME OR TAKE WITH ME WHEN I TRAVEL (CANON S3 IS AND CANON SD450) AND IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE MY PICS HERE IS THE LINK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53544147@N00/sets/

First things first. You can download them from Camera to your computer. At least you know that! Secondly, save them into a folder, like 'My Documents' Thirdly on the post reply screen, you will see the 'add this attachment' button. Click the 'browse' button to the left of it. Select your folder and file, hit ok, then hit add this attachment. Viola, you've just posted a pic. HOWEVER, SOME COMPUTERS HAVE 2 'MY PICTURES' FOLDERS. ONE IS IN 'MY VIDEOS.' THE OTHER IS UNDER 'My Documents'

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that helped a lot. Hopefully you guys will now see some Cobleskill action, and our new brush truck and pumper.

Thanks.

PS, I'm not that good of a photographer.

Jimmy,

I have seen some of your photos that you've posted, don't sell yourself short. You do just fine....

As for my equipment, the camera bag and digital are always in the car. 3 Canon AE-1s with a 20-80mm zoom and a 70-210mm zoom. I can't count how many times I have driven past a rig parked at a supermarket or something like that and have gone back for photos.

Duane

Edited by RescueKujo

how about a recommendation for a decent didgital camera? Im planning on getting one and carrying it with me, so i can get shots of rigs and fires as i go, I do prefer the Canon name

how about a recommendation for a decent didgital camera? Im planning on getting one and carrying it with me, so i can get shots of rigs and fires as i go, I do prefer the Canon name

i have the same question, but would like to throw in the specification that i'm looking for a good camera that wont cost me an arm or a leg. i love photography, and been taking all my pictures with a POS

Olympus FE-100...thats right! haha....it takes decent shots for what its worth, but any recommendations for step up would be appreciated

Cannon has a good selection of cameras. I personally use the Digital Rebel XT with a couple of lenses (18-55mm or 75-300mm). They run a little on the high side but they're worth it. With 8.2 megapixels you can blow them up into good poster shots. For 35mm shots I use the Cannon K2 also another good selection.

I use the Canon Digital Rebel XT as well 8.2 MP takes great pix, now all I need is X635, Photounit or someone to give me a few lessons to learn more of the great features of it.

Jimmy,

I have seen some of your photos that you've posted, don't sell yourself short. You do just fine....

As for my equipment, the camera bag and digital are always in the car. 3 Canon AE-1s with a 20-80mm zoom and a 70-210mm zoom. I can't count how many times I have driven past a rig parked at a supermarket or something like that and have gone back for photos.

Duane

Well, I can say they were in my Explorer :angry: :angry: I was on a photo trip in Phoenix since Wednesday. While at breakfast this morning (Sunday), someone broke into my explorer and stole my camera bag, scanner and the grocery bag with used and unused film in it. As I could not secure the car (they broke 1 window and only grabbed what they could reach) and was supposed to head down to Tucson, I called Phoenix PD, gave a phone report and headed home. Unfortunately, the explorer is a 2 door, and the middle window cannot be fixed by a mobile repairman.

As much as this first felt like a kick to the cajones, I have come to the realization I am very lucky that this was all they took. My digital camera (it's a pocket size camera) and my Palm were on the front passenger seat, and my laptop in the back cargo area. The accounts I would have had to close tomorrow if those had been taken would have given me an even bigger headache than the one I have now due to driving 300+ miles with an open window. My only regret is the 7 rolls of undeveloped film. There were shots I just couldn't get with the digital, so I used the 35mm.

Gone are 3 Canon AE-1 bodies, 2 20mm-80mm zoom lenses, 1 70mm-210mm zoom, a doubler, and a power winder. The bright side of this will be with the replacement money I should have enough for a digital SLR finally.

As for any upcoming trips and photo opportunities, we'll see how long my insurance takes with the replacement money.

Edited by RescueKujo

Sorry to hear about that RescueKujo. That sucks!

Sorry to hear that, Duane. But I know all too well how easily these things can happen. My Father was in New York City quite a number of years ago, now. This goes back prior to the digital photography era. He had 2 lieca 35 mm cameras, in his Citroen and same thing, they broke the passenger side front window and grabbed the case with both cameras in it. Smash and grab. $5000 worth of equipment gone in a split second, and a wait for the insurance money.

I i have a bad habit of bringing my camera everywhere with me, but i never seem to have it when i need it, or want a really awsome shot. i am a terrible photographer when it comes to "prize shots". I have a little Hewlett Packard digital camera, which is ok, but i also have my fathers old Canon AE-1, with a ton of lenses and extras that i am always too afraid to leave the house with, because my luck it would end up like rescueKujo's and i would be furious. so it stays home and comes out on special occasions, etc.

RescueKujo, I'm sorry for your loss. That really sucks. If I can give any advice to those who choose to travel with their camera gear, cover it up. Throw a jacket or something over them so that no one can see them. If they can't see them chances are good that they aren't going to break in.

Doc,

If I can offer anybody any advice with photography it's this...... Learn your camera......It's a tool and you need to get to know what it can and can't do...... The Canon Digital Rebel XT is a capable camera.... I always read and re-read the manuals to my cameras and flash..... Practice shooting under different lighting conditions and see how your camera focuses and how the images turn out....... Use the different ISO settings and see where the image becomes to grainy to be usable and then avoid using these ISO settings .......... On the fire ground, don't be afraid to experiment..... Take multiple shots at different settings, try different angles, vantage points, etc and as Nate DeMarse from Fire Engineering always says "Shoot Vertical". Get the largest memory card you can afford and shoot, shoot shoot,..... I've always said film is cheap when it's digital and if it doesn't come out there's the delete button... When I first went digital I kept hesitating to take shots as if I might waste film....... Took a while to get used to the virtual endless roll of film that you have with Digital and a large memory card......... Now you have to worry about your batteries :P

If you can shoot RAW with your camera then do it......... Many cameras will let you do both Jpeg amd RAW which is great...... Then you have the convince of the Jpeg and have the RAW file that generally gives you a much better final image if it's post-processed correctly....You can process your images with a program like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, GIMP (FREE) Picasa (FREE) or the program that comes with your camera..... The only time I shoot Jpeg is by mistake but that's just me..... Unfortunately by doing so, I spend hours in Photoshop :blink: but to me, the IQ improvement RAW offers makes it worth it............. Now that I let all my secrets out ;)

Kujo,

I'm sorry to her about your equipment........ That's just plain rotten....... But, not uncommon in Phoenix.......... I have been there several times in the past couple of years and brought my equipment with me wherever I went....... I guess I was paranoid.....

Stay safe.......

Edited by Photounit

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys...

And Photo, just remember the motto...Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you :P:P

For the record: Cameras don't take pictures people do. I hate it when people say "oh that's a great picture, you must have a really nice camera." No one ever says to a chef, "wow, that was a great meal, you must have really nice pots" (I heard that somewhere)

As for the topic. I have never taken fire scene related photos, so my kit is in its bag at home awaiting our next outing. Maybe I should start sparking out and listening to a scanner so I can take some fire scene photos and branch out.

I'm currently saving for a D3, 14-24 and 24-70. I can't wait. Then my D200 will be relegated to back-up status.

"Cameras don't take pictures people do. I hate it when people say "oh that's a great picture, you must have a really nice camera." No one ever says to a chef, "wow, that was a great meal, you must have really nice pots"

How true...........Welcome to EMT-B........