Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PC415

LODD - Joe Piazzi - Briarcliff Manor VFD

19 posts in this topic

Just received an e-mail on this, 23:30 on Wednesday Evening....wanted to pass it along

My thoughts and Prayers go out to all who knew him

Momentarily ago, I received a call from Bob Moon, President of the WCVFA with truly sad and very regretful news. Joe Piazzi, life member of the Westchester County Volunteer Firemen's Association, Past Director of the Association, member of the Putnam/No. Westchester Fire Police Assn., Hudson Valley VFA, Westchester Cty. Assoc. of Fire Chiefs, and the Briarcliff Manor VFD, passed away this evening following his response to numerous emergency calls within his Fire District. His death has been labeled LODD according to John Jackson, Westchester County's Fire Coordinator. No further details are available at this time. Additional details are expected to be released at Thursday evening's meeting of the Board of Directors of the WCVFA being held at Livingston Hose, Dobbs Ferry.

Joe Piazzi was such a kind individual, friend to all, and very dedicated member of the Associations to which he belonged. We have indeed lost a close and very dear friend. Doing as he has always done, he passed away doing for others.

God Bless his soul. He is loss to us all.

Robert Ruston, Secretary, WCVFA

Edited by PC415

Former Briarcliff fire chief dies in 'line of duty' during storm clean-up

(Original publication: May 17, 2007)

Nicole Neroulias

The Journal News

BRIARCLIFF MANOR - The volunteer fire department lost a longtime member and former chief during the hectic response to the damage caused by yesterday's thunderstorm.

Deputy Chief Joe Piazzi, 80, had a fatal heart attack and died last evening, Chief Marty Gallagher said today.

After spending hours responding to emergency calls about downed power lines and trees, Piazzi had returned home and was helping one of his neighbors with a downed wire, Gallagher said. He was about to go back out on another call when he felt chest pains, Gallagher said.

The department administed CPR and used a defibrillator, but Piazzi was pronounced dead at Phelps Memorial Hospital, Gallagher said.

He had been a member of the Briarcliff department for nearly 30 years.

"This was a line-of-duty death," Gallagher said.

Although an octagenarian, Piazzi had remained "extremely active" with the department, Gallagher added.

The fire department is waiting for Piazzi's daughter to come up from Virginia before making any plans for a memorial service, he said.

REST IN PEACE CHIEF!!!

Edited by LCFD968

always to be remembered.........Condolences to BMFD, Chiefs Gallagher, Cacciola, King, and The Hook & Ladder Company

always to be remembered.........Condolences to BMFD, Chiefs Gallagher, Cacciola, King, and The Hook & Ladder Company

May he rest in peace.

Rest in Peace Brother, and as always my thoughts and prayers are with his family and his department during this time of great sorrow.

Thoughts and Prayers to the Family and Department. God Bless

Thoughts and Prayers to his family and BMFD

Thoughts, Prayers and Condolences to Deputy Chief Piazzi's Family, friends ant the Members and Officers of the Briarcliff Manor VFD. Take comfort in knowing Joe died doing what he loved. May he never be forgotten.

RIP, Joe. Thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and fellow BMFD members.

REST IN PEACE CHIEF!

God bless you, family, friends, and members of the

Briarcliff Manor Fire Department.

I am sorry for your loss.

FF Rob Casasanta, President

Centennial Hose Company No. 4

Peekskill FD E130

Briarcliff Manor deputy fire chief dies of heart attack

By SEAN GORMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: May 18, 2007)

BRIARCLIFF MANOR - Firefighters are planning a memorial service this weekend for a fellow member who suffered a heart attack and died this week while on his way to a fire call.

The services are being held to remember Deputy Chief Joseph E. Piazzi, a 76-year-old village resident who joined the department in 1971.

"Joe was a great guy," Briarcliff Manor Fire Chief Marty Gallagher said yesterday. "It's a big loss to us."

Piazzi had answered a series of storm-related calls Wednesday before returning home around 6 p.m., fire officials said.

He was on his way to yet another call when he began to experience chest pains and called 911 at 6:28 p.m., Assistant Chief Douglas Cacciola said.

A Briarcliff Manor firefighter and EMT who lives two doors from Piazzi on Hazelton Circle responded to his home about a minute after the call went out, fire officials said.

"When the first EMT arrived on the scene he (Piazzi) did say, 'I was going to the call, and I couldn't breathe,'" Cacciola said.

He was taken to Phelps Memorial Hospital Center in Sleepy Hollow and was pronounced dead about an hour later.

"He was a regular guy, a good guy, an astute firefighter ... The fire department was his life," Cacciola said. "He was a father figure in the department, a mentor to a lot of the younger guys."

Piazzi was the Briarcliff Manor chief from 1983 to 1985. Before coming to Briarcliff Manor, Piazzi was a captain in the Mount Vernon Fire Department, according to a news release from the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department.

Piazzi remained an active member of the department and in recent years helped with traffic control around fire department scenes, Cacciola said.

"Joe's a great guy. Joe was always here," said Tom Farrington, a deputy chief with the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department. "Whenever there was a call here you could count on Joe's red truck pulling up and coming into the firehouse. He's going to be missed."

Visiting hours will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. tomorrow at Waterbury and Kelly Funeral Home, 1300 Pleasantville Road in Briarcliff Manor.

There will be also be visiting hours on Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 6 to 9 p.m. A fire department memorial service will start at 7 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.

The funeral will be held Monday at 10 a.m. at St. Theresa's Church on Pleasantville Road in Briarcliff Manor.

http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=99683@wcbs.dayport.com

Joe was a true gentleman, and an asset to the fire service. I remember many a night sitting with him topping off the master bottles on Rescue 37 after Briarcliff had a cascade call. His devotion to duty was never in question. I consider myself lucky to have known him. While I am sorry to see him pass. It comforts me to know he went doing what he loved.

Rest in peace my friend.

Very sad. I met Joe a few years back and could tell he was the kind of guy that everyone has described him as.

Thoughts & prayers with Joe, his family and the BMFD.

god bless joe he was such an great guy !!!!!!!!. my prayers go to his family.

This is a very great loss to the fire service.

Edgar Brennen

ex-capt. eng-86 +member of SHAC.

may he rest in peace.

funeral will be held at st theresa's church on Monday May 21st on pleasantville rd at 10am

Edited by mpgfire93

PIAZZI, JOSEPH E.

May 19, 2007 

Joseph E. Piazzi, a 37 year resident of Briarcliff Manor, NY, died on May 16, 2007 at Phelps Memorial Hospital, he was 76 years old. Born on August 5, 1930 in New York City to John and Jennie (Tantillo) Piazzi. He graduated from A.B. Davis High School, Mt. Vernon, NY. Mr. Piazzi served in the Naval Reserves for four years. On May 11, 1968 he married Catherine Lombardo in Mt. Vernon, NY. Mr. Piazzi was a retired Supervisor from Consolidated Edison in Elmsford, NY. Mr. Piazzi will be remembered for his lifelong commitment serving as a Volunteer Firefighter. He was most recently a Active Member of the Briarcliff Manor Hook & Ladder Company, serving as Deputy Chief and Fire Police Captain. He joined the department in 1971 and went through the Officer ranks and became Captain of the Hook & Ladder Company. He attained the rank of Chief of the Department in 1983 and served until 1985. He was also a member and Past Director of the Westchester County Association of Fire Chiefs. Joseph was a member of the Westchester County Parade Judges Association and the Putnam County Association of Fire Police. Before coming to Briarcliff Manor he served the Mount Vernon Volunteer Fire Department for 23 years. He is survived by a daughter, Debra Urbancic, son-in-law Jeffrey Urbancic, two grandchildren, Cassidy and Adam Urbancic. Sisters, Adeline Anello, Rose Myron and JoAnn Piazzi. His wife, Catherine Piazzi is deceased. Visitation Saturday, May 19, from 6 to 9 PM, Sunday, May 20, from 2 to 4 and 6 to 9 PM, at Waterbury & Kelly Funeral Home, 1300 Pleasantvile Road, Briarcliff Manor, NY. Funeral Mass will be held on Monday, May 21, at 10 AM at Saint Theresa's Church, 1394 Pleasantville Road, Briarcliff Manor, NY. Interment to follow at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Stevens Avenue, Hawthorne, NY. Contributions can be made to the Fireman's Home of the State of New York, 125 Harry Howard Ave., Hudson, NY 12534. WATERBURY & KELLY FUNERAL HOME 1300 Pleasantville Rd. Briarcliff Manor (914) 941-0838

i got this off U.S.F.A memorial database

Piazzi, Joe

Cause of Death: Stress/Overexertion

Nature of Death: Heart Attack

Classification: Volunteer

Emergency Duty: Yes

Incident Date: 05/16/2007

Duty Type: Responding

Incident Time: 19:30

Activity Type: Other

Death Date: 05/16/2007

Fixed Prop. Use: Residential

Fire Dept. Info: Briarcliff Manor Fire Department

Chief: Marty Gallagher

Initial Summary:

Deputy Chief & Fire Police Captain Piazzi had responded to several incidents of downed power lines and trees due to storms throughout the afternoon of 5/16/2007. He had then returned home and assisted a neighbor with cleanup. The department had been dispatched to another call and he was preparing to respond when he began to experience chest pains. He contacted 911 and the fire department was dispatched to his residence. Upon their arrival, he was found unresponsive. Care was initiated and he was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

U.S.F.A Memorial database