Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert benz

Why Are You In The Fire Service?

18 posts in this topic

with all the discussion about the problems Larchmont Fd is facing, my question is why did you join your FD? And are you getting out of it what you thought it would be? career or volunteer doesnt matter.

I took one test in 1980, scored high enough to get hired and that was the happiest day of my career, and i do call it a career, 26 yrs later and i love going to work. I teach probies from day one that you are now on the fire dept it is up to you to get into the fire dept and join the brotherhood.

I volunteer because I love to do it. I can remember as a young boy running down to the corner when I heard that mechanical federal siren. The trucks were alot slower then. I am not trying to start a fight here, so no offense to any paid staff, but I personally dont need or want to get paid to do it. I know alot of guys that took their jobs for a good check. The true firefighters, paid or volly, love their jobs. Thats why they took a test or signed up at the local station. I feel like I am giving something back. It was a great feeling for me when I helped save three people. Thats why I do it.

I joined the fire service because it appealed to me, and public service is the family biz. My father was a cop, my grandfather(paternal) was a corrections officer. My grandfather(maternal), and a few of my uncles worked for the City Transit Authority. I have a few other relatives that are in the Emergency Services. I joined the Coast Guard in 1992 and saw it from three of the many big missions. Maritime Law Enforcement, Search and Rescue, and Aids to Navigation.

I got into dispatching through my experiences in buffing and my military service. I did the volunteer thing and near the end, I started to get sour on a lot of the things I saw, or heard. (Read: POLITICS!!!!!!) Then my mom moved, and I left it behind. I was a member of a VAC here in the city and saw the crap I saw up there, and it was like I never left Putnam.

Nowadays, I'm reaching a point where it's almost all about the money. I'm in a position where I really am not happy with what I see when I walk in the door. My love for the job has been beaten up pretty good. This was even before my experiences on Sept. 11th. Maybe someday I will get myself in a position where I will be having more fun.

I took the test in 1977 and was hired in 1979 and I couldn't agree with you more Bobby. It's te best move I ever made and I had a great 27 year career. Being retired I find it rewarding to be involved with the county probie class and sharing my knowledge with the newest members of the service.

I joined becsuse T want to help out my fellow man.

the answer is also in my signature

sr71

I was too friggin tired of working and needed to find something for a little R&R and to accomodate my B Job schedule! laugh.giftongue.gif

I grew up around the firehouse and and many people in my family have been members of the company I belong to since its inception. I've always wanted to be a firefighter and volunteering has driven my goals to make it a career choice in the firematic and public safety services.

Simply, because I've never wanted to do anything else.

I'm extremly blessed to have my dream job. I get to serve the community I grew up in. The fire department I grew up seeing, is the department I got hired with.

As a Firefighter and a Paramedic, I like to help people, especially when they're not having the best of days. To take that day and be able to turn it around FOR THEM, even if it's just a little bit, is a great feeling.

I also like the jobs because it's a never ending challenge. You never have the same day twice. It's a constant learning oppurtunity, and in fact, you have the never-ending oppurtunity to keep learning.

And then, there's always the fun aspect.....there's nothing like being behind the wheel of TL-15, E-170, or even E-171 for that matter! I love to drive trucks, that's the fun aspect for me.

I love and miss my job, and can't wait until I can get better and return.

to get away from my wife 2 days a week!

After I got out of the service I noticed that something was just not right. I finally realized it one day when the fire truck screamed by. I was missing the camaraderie I had in the Corps. An since I have been a part of it, I have been happier. Nothing like having a close group of friends that you can just be yourself with. They let you know when your messing up, they break your chops and pat you on the back when you do good. Very hard to find that in other jobs.

Well, to answer your question.......wait. I'm not hired yet! Stupid me! rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I want to join to help people. I've always done some community service through a Club, Church, or some other way, and I want to give back to my community. I've always looked up to the people who give back to the community, so I want to do it really badly. I seriously wish I had the job already. Also, I'd want in on some of those firehouse pranks. biggrin.gif

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

to get away from my wife 2 days a week!

Good answer biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Good answer biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

I was introduced to the fire service at 17. I was a typical wise a** kid who was hanging with the wrong crowd and getting into trouble. Once I joined and was taken in by a bunch of men who had zero tolerance for anything and was immedeately straigntend out and was told " you are here for 3 reasons"..

1. Keep your mouth shut

2. Do as you are told

3. Learn

Being part of a team, helping people began to appeal to me and been doing ever since.

I ask this question in February.Why Did You Join? I join become I’m grandfather was a career firefighter for 35 years my grandfather received Meritorious Action Award for save the lives of a woman and her child. My uncle has been a career firefighter of 17 years. I was five when he graduation from the Fire Academy. I still remember seeing probationary class showing of what they have learned off to family and friends. I enjoy hear the story my uncle told me. I join become I NEED to know if I can be great firefighter like my uncle and grandfather. I can not wait for June 2 to take the County Fire Exam.

As my sign on implies I am a retired FF ,spent 20 + years both as a volunteer and a career FF.As to why I joined the fire service,I guess a desire to help people and after a while the camradirie of the Brotherhood that anyone in the fire service,both career and volunteer ,finds that binds us all together .

I joined the fire service back in the early 80's because it was the thing to do. Following in dad's footsteps, making new friends, giving back to the community; call it what you want. The bottom line is I joined to hopefully make a difference - and help save lives. Good enough. I guess, 26 years later, I have met my goal. But I'm not giving up either. Three departments later I can honestly say I'm happy where I currently am - an extremely well run all volunteer fire department -the Business as we call it because that is what it is. We train, we are safe, we get the job done, we train again, we are safe again, and we go home. It all starts at the top though. You must have a very strong leadership structure, from the governing body to the incident command system to the rank and file, to instill the professionalism and gain the respect of so many dedicated firefighters. Not that departments like Larchmont didn't have strong leaders - I believe they did because Larchmont was my first stop. It was a history of 'bad blood' that did in that department - the inability of the career staff and the volunteers to work together successfully no matter what. Anyway, I enjoy what I do; I have given alot of my time over the past 26 years being away from my family for countless hours on nights and weekends. I wouldn't trade it for the world - our motto - Everyone Goes Home.

Pretty much what everyone has said...to help others....so others may live....I grew up in the firehouse. You Know, wink.gif

Moose

I made the fire service a career because my father was a cop and I didn't like the hours he had. So before I left the service I came home on leave to take the test one weekend and then came back for the agility. I wasn't exactly "Happy" with my rate in the US Navy so I tried to make a change to a Group with more comraderie. About 4 1/2 weeks into training I learned I wasn't meant to run long distance. Spent about 1 1/2 yrs working 6-7 days personal training and in Jan. 2000 I entered a lifestyle that would only except 110% from me. That was,is and will be the best choice I have EVER made. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best in the business and hope to become one of them one day. Ditto on ALL the helping, giving back to the community reasons.