Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest partyrock

Summer Uniforms

23 posts in this topic

I see firefighters and cops with shorts in these hot summer months, why not EMS? We're allowed to wear short sleve shirts why not shorts? I've heard the argument that OSHA dictates we're not allowed to wear shorts, but I can't find that anywhere. Other say that its the increased risk of BBP contact. Who here wears water proof pants? As soon as you kneel in or get sprayed with something, its on its way through the fabric and onto our skin. Besides, we constantly leave our most velnerable areas exposed day in and day out anyways.

I see firefighters and cops with shorts in these hot summer months, why not EMS?  We're allowed to wear short sleve shirts why not shorts?  I've heard the argument that OSHA dictates we're not allowed to wear shorts, but I can't find that anywhere.  Other say that its the increased risk of BBP contact.  Who here wears water proof pants?  As soon as you kneel in or get sprayed with something, its on its way through the fabric and onto our skin.  Besides, we constantly leave our most velnerable areas exposed day in and day out anyways.

Around here, NOBODY wears shorts. Everyone wears pants.

Mike

FF/Paramedic...shorts all summer long fire and EMS.

There is no reason why you can't wear shorts. In fact I believe it assists with productivity being crews are more comfortable, especially when doing event stand by's. Do an EMS bike detail and your in shorts so why not everyday? I don't buy into it "doesn't look professional." It is what you make it.

There is no reason why you can't wear shorts.  In fact I believe it assists with productivity being crews are more comfortable, especially when doing event stand by's.  Do an EMS bike detail and your in shorts so why not everyday?  I don't buy into it "doesn't look professional."  It is what you make it.

Wonder how many lightbulbs went on after they read that!? wink.gif

Wish they would let DPW wear shorts...

There is no reason why you can't wear shorts.  In fact I believe it assists with productivity being crews are more comfortable, especially when doing event stand by's.  Do an EMS bike detail and your in shorts so why not everyday?  I don't buy into it "doesn't look professional."  It is what you make it.

I wish i got to wear shorts! Summer uniform is the same as winter...duty pants w/ duty shirt and duty boots. No t-shirts/shorts allowed.

Wish they would let DPW wear shorts...

rye dpw does

Our uniform regs name two specific brand/model of shorts we're allowed to wear on duty, however, while wearing shorts, we are required to wear our bunker pants on all calls, EMS included. But now that I think about it, I have yet to see any medics on the street wearing shorts. Not sure what they're rules are.

AMEN Y'ALL!

Those that have worked with me know of my seeminly endless diaphoresis [regardless of ambient temperature incidentally].

I'd work in sandals if they'd let me!

Our uniform regs name two specific brand/model of shorts we're allowed to wear on duty, however, while wearing shorts, we are required to wear our bunker pants on all calls, EMS included. But now that I think about it, I have yet to see any medics on the street wearing shorts. Not sure what they're rules are.

Out of curiosity, why do FF's where bunker gear on medical runs? Is there the fear that the location is going to catch on fire? I think it is ridiculous to perform CPR in full gear. I sweat enough in my uniform.

Wouldn't it make sense to bring your gear with you, and put it on if you need to respond on another run?

I see firefighters and cops with shorts in these hot summer months, why not EMS?  We're allowed to wear short sleve shirts why not shorts?  I've heard the argument that OSHA dictates we're not allowed to wear shorts, but I can't find that anywhere.  Other say that its the increased risk of BBP contact.  Who here wears water proof pants?  As soon as you kneel in or get sprayed with something, its on its way through the fabric and onto our skin.  Besides, we constantly leave our most velnerable areas exposed day in and day out anyways.

I travel quite a bit especially down south and there are always bike medics patrolling the beaches wearing shorts especially in Florida so I cant see it being an OSHA reg.

Out of curiosity, why do FF's where bunker gear on medical runs? Is there the fear that the location is going to catch on fire? I think it is ridiculous to perform CPR in full gear. I sweat enough in my uniform.

Wouldn't it make sense to bring your gear with you, and put it on if you need to respond on another run?

x710, personally I wear my gear, or atleast my pants everytime I leave the house, call or not. There isnt much room in the back of an apparatus to try and get dressed, stopping to get dressed for a call is an unnecessary delay, plus after attending the funeral of a brother up in Waterbury Ct who died from his injuries after being ejected in an apparatus accident, I believe the safest and smartest thing for all of us to be doing is wearing our seatbelts.

I agree that on days like today is does get a bit warm and sticky in the gear, but it's all part of the job.

it could be quite possible they are wearing shorts underneath?

it could be quite possible they are wearing shorts underneath?

Even as a Volunteer I wear my gear to EMS calls. This at least puts me somewhat of a professional looking position in the eyes of the public. Plus, my districts SOP'S state that on any call some form of district apparel must be worn.

Edited by FFD941

Plus, my districts SOP'S state that on any call some form of district apparel must be worn.

Does the district approved G string or thong count? Don't laugh! blink.gifbiggrin.gifohmy.gif

If we're wearing shrorts we are suppose to wear bunkers. I feel for the guys in EMS. They can't wear shorts but have to wear the bananna suits on a riddiculous list of calls.

DFD...what about hen you guys are out checking hydrants, BI, or just food shopping? There's no harm in getting dressed before hopping on the rig.

OSHA only states that you must wear protective apparel/gear appropriate for the task.. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation, as Empress used to consider our long sleeve shirts as PPE.

If we're wearing shrorts we are suppose to wear bunkers.  I feel for the guys in EMS.  They can't wear shorts but have to wear the bananna suits on a riddiculous list of calls.

DFD...what about hen you guys are out checking hydrants, BI, or just food shopping?  There's no harm in getting dressed before hopping on the rig.

Partyrock.... leaving your gear in the rig while out on a detail is not a problem, that's just like being at the firehouse. My point was about trying to put on bunker pants in the apparatus while in motion. I just think the smart thing to do is wear your pants while riding and put your coat on if you need to respond somewhere, trying to stay strapped in as much as you can. That Captain getting killed so close by 2 weeks ago changed my attitude toward seatbelts after 18 years of never, ever wearing one in an apparatus..... it's a pain in the a$$ but maybe one day it'll save my a$$.

I always wear hitches to medicals, just so I don't appear to be some random person riding the fire truck. If it's winter I'll wear the coat as well....mainly because its cold out. Our career guys will normally just wear their uniform to medicals unless they happen to be wearing shorts.

Some people mentioned gearing up before going to the store...I don't usually go shopping without my hitches on. I don't mind throwing my coat and helmet on in a crunch, but I prefer to have the hitches already on and the shoes, cell phone, and pager out of the way back at the firehouse.

I think it would be sweet to wear shorts in the summer. You can still look professional in shorts. I think that even if a department doesnt want you to wear shorts, they should make an exception and let you wear them in exterme heat. Or they could allow you to wear the bike pants where you can unzip the bottoms and make them into shorts. If you get a call you could just zip them back on in a few seconds and be back in pants.

The effectiveness of pants as BSI depends on the type. Most types can offer at least minimal protection from splatter or spray. If you kneel in a significant puddle of blood or OPIM, you should probably be paying more attention. My agency had an extensive debate about this and the overwhelming majority felt pants were a good idea. I'm in line with them on that decision. If I get sprayed/splashed on my legs and it keeps some sort of infectious body fluid away from my body or even lessens the amount that contacts my skin, that's a positive in my book.

As far as bunkers, I wear them to any MVA or any call where there's a chance of hazardous debris. Why not? Also if it came down to throwing on bunker pants or breaking the rules by wearing shorts, I'm going with the bunkers.

Just my 2 cents.

If you are worried about spray and splatter protection then you need to be worried about real potential for exposure. Assuming all of your skin is intact your face is the only place for infection. You can stand in a knee deep tub of HIV infected blood, hose off and go about your life without a worry in the world. Yet a splatter of blood in the eye or mucosa membrane and you are at risk for contamination. Every agency requires pants yet every scene is crawling with people with no eye protection chewing gum.

Another year of shorts....ZERO exposures to personnel. Yawn.....

How does a pair of pants offer you protection as "BSI" and how would it keep the material away from you?

Its not considered BSI and it will act as a sponge for blood and other bodily fluids. Everyone says what if you kneel down...so then you would kneel in a puddle of blood, saliva or vomitus because you have pants on?

So for all that make that argument you wear long sleeve shirts year round? Wear goggles and facemasks on every call? I highly doubt it. But to each their own...we like comfort...you go ahead and sweat for us, lol.