Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

LODD, 9 SC Firefighters Dead

59 posts in this topic

Truly a terrible loss. To all the family and friends, my prayers are with you all.

Rest in peace....God Bless the fallen firefighters & their families....

REST IN PEACE GODSPEED

from FH.com

A fund has been established for the fallen firefighters. Donations can be sent to: The City of Charleston Firemen's Fund, P.O. Box 304, Charleston, SC, 29402.

The International Association of Fire Chiefs called on all firefighters to observe a moment of silence at 7 p.m. ET Tuesday to honor the nine who died.

The victims and their years of service are:

-- Capt. William "Billy" Hutchinson, 48 (30 years)

-- Capt. Mike Benke, 49 (29 years)

-- Capt. Louis Mulkey, 34 (11½ years)

-- Engineer Mark Kelsey, 40 (12½ years)

-- Engineer Bradford "Brad" Baity, 37 (9 years)

-- Assistant engineer Michael French, 27 (1½ years)

-- Firefighter James "Earl" Drayton, 56 (32 years)

-- Firefighter Brandon Thompson, 27 (4 years)

-- Firefighter Melven Champaign, 46 (2 years)

Edited by breezly

I just left the MUSC Charleston and what an out pouring of support to the city and the depertment.

Over 100 years of experience in the fire service what a tragic loss.

Rest in peace

My thoughts and prayers go out to the men, woman and families of the Charleston Fire Dept . My you rest in peace brothers.

Heartbreaking, very heartbreaking. God bless these nine men, their families and brother firefighters, it's going to be a tough road ahead and they will need all of the support and guidance there is.

Tonight at 7 pm EST, the president of the IAFC is asking all fire departments to observe a moment of silence to recognize the nine firefighters who lost their lives in Charleston, SC.

With much sadness, I'm sorry to hear. I think we all should pray for the dead firefighters+ their families. God bless them !!!

Absolutely horrible.

It seems every time you think we are losing less guys, a horrific tragedy such as this one comes around.

Thoughts and prayers are with the firefighters, their familes, brothers, and friends, and the entire Charleston community.

These brothers will never be forgotten, and will pass down lessons to us all.

May our brothers rest in peace.

My sympathy and prayers go out to the firefighters' families and friends as well as the dept.

My prays go out to the Family, friends and fellow firefighter what a tragic lossof NiNE firefighters

May they RIP

[attachmentid=2954]

post-3-1182301942.jpg

No words can convey the the sadness that comes with the loss of so many Brothers.May they rest in peace ,and may thier familyies know that they perished doing what all of those in the Fire service do.We fight the Red Devil.Pax Vobiscum my Brothers

dear god please comfort the families of the 9 firemen you called back home yesterday, we pray in your name for there souls for that they not die in vain.

I don't mean to sound like a Monday morning Quarterback or an armchair critic, but its tragedies like this (and Worcester, MA, and 23rd Street, and Waldbaum's) that really get my mind spinning about a few things.

I understand that the Firefighters successfully extracted some employees from the fire building. I wonder if Command knew that the building was empty (aside from Firefighters) after these employees were rescued?

What were the exposures, and what was the danger to those structures or occupants, if any?

At Worcester, they were looking for people who they assumed were inside. At 23rd street, they were completely unaware of what was right under their feet. Duty to life in one situation, unknown circumstances in the other.

But at Waldbaum's, and now this retail store, they were in (or on) a large, presumably evacuated structure that was probably of lightweight truss construction. If there is no life danger, is the preservation of property worth a man's life? What would be the Chief's prerogative in this situation? Why would he want to carry out an aggressive interior attack in a high risk structure, rather than surround and drown?

I don't mean to offend or insult anyone, but this is nagging me. Perhaps others might share their expertise on this? I pray for them and their families....at home and on the job.

Hey Stepjam,

there were two people stuck inside at the time of the fire and reports of more also.

I think though we should discuss your questions, which are valid ones, in a different topic posting thread. Post this again under the firefighter safety portion of the forum and we'll discuss more on this horrible subject of truss construction.

PS. I don't think your offending anyone here, this is something we all must learn about and teach to others.

Post this again under the firefighter safety portion of the forum and we'll discuss more on this horrible subject of truss construction.

I agree. Topic moved, thanks.

Our poor Brother Firefighters have not even been laid to rest yet and let the

Monday morning quarterbacking begin!!!! WTF!?!?!?

This just bothers ME.

Oh well....

R.I.P. Brothers. Best wishes to the families and friends.

may they rest in peace and my thoughts and prayers go to the family and friends.

Again god has called firefighters way too early may they rest in peace knowing that they were doing a job that they loved.

I'm having a hard time trying to find words for this. All I can say is these Brothers are in a better place, now. My thoughts, prayers and condolences to the men and women of the Charleston Fire Department, their friends and families, the families and friends of those lost, and to the entire Charleston Community.

Thoughts and Prayers to the families and friends of the deceased.

CNN is covering the Firefighters Salute right now

Service starts at 10

What CNN covered was very good. However, I was disappointed with the interruptions in coverage so they could do other news items. I guess that's how a news channel works. I only hope somebody else covered it and at some point will broadcast it in its entirety. My feeling is they were on something this significant, they should have stayed on it, JMHO

Cnn did good up untill the broke away Ughhhh

There a few places have the whole thing on live, Its over now everyone walking out

It was very well done and great job by the http://www.wcsc.com/ online covage