Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Where My Youngs At?

48 posts in this topic

I just finished reading "Young Fire Apparatus 1932-1991 Photo Archive" edited by Leo E. Duliba and Tom W. Shand, published by Iconograifx. From the photos, I know that the Metro area has it's fair share of Young Fire Apparatus.

I'm just curious as to the status of these pieces, if they are still in service, if not where were they sold to and when?

So, what happened to the following (some departments had multiple)? And, what were they (Unit ID, type of apparatus, year retired, sold to)

Ardsley, NY 1972 Young Crusader Sold to Monserrat, an island in the Carribean.

Harrison Young Crusader

Tallman Young Crusader Snorkle

Springdale (Stamford) CT Young Snorkle

Lake Mohegan

Nanuet

Hillcrest

Spring Valley

Pearl River

Verplank

East Fishkill

Anyone I'm missing???

There are actually plenty more that were never mentioned in the book. None of the commercials were listed in the back. The Tallman and Verplank Snorkel's are both still in service in upstate NY. The best place to learn about the where abouts of Young's is the Young thread on Firepics. I forget how many page's it's up to, but there are plenty of NY rigs and former NY rigs on it!

As for the Hillcrest IHC/Young Snorkel, it's supposedly still out my way. It served at Harrisburg IL, until 2001, and is supposed to be privately owned in Mount Vernon IL. I'm still trying to find out for sure.

SPRINGDALE'S SNORKEL IS STILL IN SPRINGDALE RARELY USED

My department (New Hackensack) had three Young's over the years.... I believe they were a 59, 72, and a 74......... The 1959 was a long nosed Ford and the 1972 and 1974 were both Ford cab-overs..... The 1974 was a sweet truck and I'm pretty sure it's in your book..... Is it ? What made it special was that we purchased the cab with I believe a Cat diesel in it and then had that ripped out and had a Detroit 8v-71 and Allison tranny dropped in as replacements by Young. The door legends that originally read Ford 8000 had a plate over them that read "Custom Power" This truck had balls....... Our 72 Young had a 534 cu in gas engine and would be down to mere 20 mph at the top of All Angels Hill Rd. which takes us to the southern end of our district..... And that was if you got a running start.... With the 74, You would hit the top at almost 50 Mph.... It took the hill or anything else in stride....... This truck was sold to a FD I think in the mid-west around 1990 and we all missed it when it left :( ...... We also still have two SauIsbury Ford cab-over 2000 gallon Tankers that we had the same engine swap done to...... Both of these are presently being sold and who ever buys them will be getting two good trucks.... .....

I was there when Tom took took the photo's of our 74 and got to know him over the years as he would frequently stop by our fire station as the local ISO rep and was always photographing our new deliveries. He has a HUGE collection of fire apparatus photo's and is very knowledgeable about all aspects of fire apparatus and their history and he's a good guy....... I'm sure that he has now fully embraced digital photography :rolleyes:

Somewhere I have a fold-out color brochure that Young had made to hand out at trade shows like the State Chiefs Show etc..... that featured our 1974 engine...... I'll have to find it, make a scan of it and post it...........

If I remember correctly, there is another department north of us Staatsburgh, that also had a Young that they purchased after we received ours that was similar but they stuck with the Cat and it was green :P ..... This area definitely had a lot of Young's in their day and they made a good piece of equipment..... Me, I always liked the look of the Young Crusaders........ I have always intended to buy Toms book and now I guess I'm going to have to do it........ Bill

My original dept had/has a '78 with a Hendrickson chassis sporting a Detroit 8V-71. It was a blast to drive and was an animal on the mountain roads of the response area. It also had a plaque on the dash from the factory stating "Last Young Custom Pumper". I have a ton of pictures somewhere, if I find a good one, I'll post it. As of now, it is still an active pumper.

Hey Seth.... If memory serves, Nyack had a Young Rescue, so did North Tarrytown (which was the subject of an earlier thread I made.... See: http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=13856), and there was the Manhasset-Lakeville Tiller.

As to the fates of those rigs, I don't know... but, I hope this helps!

-Joe DA BUFF

If I remember right the Harrison engine went to the DPW and was painted "BLUE" but that was back in 89-90 have no clue to what happened after that.

Maybe Dino could help with this one.

Verplanck Old Snorkel is Located in Middleburg Still in use TODAY

Short Info recieved in a post about snorkel a while back in this forum

Snorkel 2-1973 Young Bison 1000gpm/85ft Snorkel-replaced in 2001

Hope it works!!!

Ardsley, NY 1972 Young Crusader Cover Story Firehouse .

Selecto Fire / 1 Civ. Fatality

post-23-1183488305.jpg

Yes fsw1970 is correct. The best place to find out about the Young Fire apparatus is on www.firepics.net I forget if I restarted that post or Andy Pagano. Anyway Here are some answers to the apparatus questions some of you had:

Ardsley, NY 1972 Young Crusader Sold to Monserrat, an island in the Carribean.

Harrison Young Crusader

Tallman Young Crusader Snorkle- Still in service B)! It serves with the Randolph, NY fire department out my way in in the Southerntier of Western New York. I have photographed this rig while getting service work at my work, I is quite a sharp looking and running rig!

Springdale (Stamford) CT Young Snorkle- This was answered by pjreilly: SPRINGDALE'S SNORKEL IS STILL IN SPRINGDALE RARELY USED

Lake Mohegan

Nanuet- I know Nanuet's Snorkel ended up in South Carolina or like Virginia. It then was sold on ebay. No idea where it is today.

Hillcrest- fsw1970 is correct, it is still out his way. It served at Harrisburg IL, until 2001, and is supposed to be privately owned in Mount Vernon IL. It was being used to to tree trimming, roofs, or painting buildings. It then was sold on ebay and is now privately owned. It may be still out in IL, maybe not. Thats the tough thing with rigs being sold on ebay, the hunt is on to track them down again <_<

Spring Valley- I heard this rig was scrapped, can anyone verify this?

Pearl River

Verplank- This was answered by irishfire2491: Verplanck Old Snorkel is Located in Middleburg Still in use TODAY.

East Fishkill

I am curious to see what happened to the Youngs out here in Western New York. Lets see what we can come up with, I hope I answered some people's questions.

East Fishkill had a few Youngs. 39-11 (old E-1), 39-15 (old E-5), and 39-45 (old Snorkel 1) were all Youngs.

The old 39-11 and 39-15 were sold in 2002, with the replacement of them. I believe their years were 1982 and 1984 Youngs. I do not know their whereabouts now, but I can inquire and re-post.

39-45, the old Snorkel, was sold back in 1999 with the purchase of a new source pumper (39-81), and is now owned, and still operational, with a roofing company in Poughkeepsie. I actually passed by and saw it up and operating about a year and a half ago in the City of Pk. The old Snorkel was a 1965, if I remember correctly.

The Snorkel was originally owned by a department down on Long Island, and was purchased in the late '80s/early 90's by East Fishkill.

I will get the name, but I know the initials were EFD.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

The Village of Nelsonville in Putnam County also had a Young pumper before the department was disbanded. Last I knew, the pumper is privately owned by one of Yorktown's members.

Bedford Hills - Snorkle 1 - Young/Snorkle went to a large tree company in Maine.

Edited by tracdoc

So I have found out some more information. The 2 East Fishkill Young Pumpers were Custom Pumpers, and I believe sold to some department, or separate departments down south. They were a 1982, and a 1984, respectively.

The old 85' Snorkel was a 1968 Young, well, Snorkel, I don't have too much more information on that as of yet. More details to come!

I beleive that Continental Village's 14-2-3 is still in service, a 1980 Young.

One additional detail about Springdales T56, is that is was refirbished in the 80's (I think 1985) and now has a differend cab on it that it originally did.

The Village of Nelsonville in Putnam County also had a Young pumper before the department was disbanded. Last I knew, the pumper is privately owned by one of Yorktown's members.

Nelsonville's originally served Kings Park LINY.

Both of Mohegan's young crusaders have gone to Linden Wisconsin I am not to sure if they still have them or not I wasnt able to find a website for them wanted to get some pictures of them from out in wisconsin.

I know Engine 254 was a converted automatic transmission from a stick

and Engine 255 was a stick when it left

The old 85' Snorkel was a 1968 Young, well, Snorkel, I don't have too much more information on that as of yet. More details to come!

85' Young Crusader I - Now owned by "Rusty Goat" tree company? In PK area

Vly- Atwood Engine 62-11 in Ulster County is a 1969 Young Crusader I

These are my favorite trucks of all time.. I have a library of factory photos which I will try to upload at some point. I will own one some day!

is there a website you can go to so you are able to get copies of factory photo's would love to get the photos of my departments rigs

85' Young Crusader I - Now owned by "Rusty Goat" tree company? In PK area

Thanks Rich! I couldn't remember if it was a roofing company, or a tree company, but thanks for the additional info!!

Thanks Rich! I couldn't remember if it was a roofing company, or a tree company, but thanks for the additional info!!

I just got a message from Ladder47, and he is a member of the Elmont FD, on Long Island, which is the department which we got our Young Snorkel from.

He is going to post some pictures and more information when he becomes a verified member!

TurboRich, if you could, please forward to me any of those pictures you said you think you have, or post them here, if you can!!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

I beleive that Continental Village's 14-2-3 is still in service, a 1980 Young.

Tonight when I came on duty, I was told that CVFD retired 14-2-3 yesterday (07/16/2007). I don't know what it has been replaced with. anyone have any information?

14-2-3 was donated to West Fulton FD in Schoharie County outside of Albany.

Greetings all.....here are a few pics of the East Fishkill Snorkel when it was in service in Elmont on Long Island. Can someone give me info on where the tree trim comapny is that owns this rig now...I would do a road trip to take some pics of it now....any info would be appreciated. Post here or send me a private message. Thanks and be safe.

Edited by Ladder47

is there a website you can go to so you are able to get copies of factory photo's would love to get the photos of my departments rigs

Engine 255 256

post-23-1187759331.jpg

post-23-1187759405.jpg

Harrison NY Young pumper

post-23-1187759545.jpg