Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Which do you prefer

20 posts in this topic

What do you prefer....pockets on your turnout coat to hold your portable or using a radio harness? Just looking for opinions.

harness

harness

the pockets just anger me

Radio pocket on the coat, run the mic cord around the back of my neck and hang the mic near the the collar flap. Works well, most of the time.

Radio pocket for the fireground and a radio harness for the other radio.

I carry two radios(highband and lowband) most of the time. One in the radio harness and one in my inside pocket with the mic hanging out either clipped to my collar or mic clip. It keeps the radio dry and out of the way.

I hate that radio pocket.

Radio pocket on the coat, run the mic cord around the back of my neck and hang the mic near the the collar flap. Works well, most of the time.

Ditto!

Speaking of radio straps/harnes's....where can I find the correct harnes for the HT1250? Does this fit well with it? Or is the radio to small? Ive only seen people with the HT1000's use them so far. I havnt gotten a chance yet to try mine with someone elses harness like that yet. Any help would be great...

When I have my coat on, The radio pocket. When I dont have my coat on, in the pant pocket for now until I find the strap.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

radio strap under coat...

I hate it in my turnout pocket on the fireground but I suffer through for a true STRUCT, gets in the way of my airpack strap....always the leather holster w/out coat or w/out airpack but with coat.

Harness and strap under the coat, mike comming out up over the zipper, under the hood bib.

We use the G-Xtreme gear with the radio pocket on the upper left hand side of the chest. I find that it works well untill you put a pack on. But once you have an air pack on the shoulder straps fun right over the pocket and the mic clip strap making it very uncomfortable and hard to use.

I like a harness with the radio under my coat so it doesn't get in the way of anything. I also like it there and this may just be mental comfort but there was a article floating around discussing radio and heat issues much like PASS alarms. I try to limit the amount of equipment I have on the outside of my gear, to me its just more to get hung up on and more to try to remove if I have to do a SCBA escape manuever. I have utilized the radio pocket on occassion and do it in the same manner as 585 mentioned.

A bigger topic to discuss is how your portables are operated and do you know every frequency switch on that portable by memory or feel if you can't look at it? Are the frequencies programmed for convenience, by a number order that goes with the knob or are they in order of your main, secondary and operations channels. Again time, knowing what your going to if you are in a pinch to call a mayday or urgent message. I am not a big fan of push button portables and I will keep the manufacturer in mind to myself. But I have used them during training and during actual operations and have had something push the buttons hard enough to change channels. If you do have them, have your rep program or buy them with a keypad lock out function for safety.

A bigger topic to discuss is how your portables are operated and do you know every frequency switch on that portable by memory or feel if you can't look at it? Are the frequencies programmed for convenience, by a number order that goes with the knob or are they in order of your main, secondary and operations channels. Again time, knowing what your going to if you are in a pinch to call a mayday or urgent message. I am not a big fan of push button portables and I will keep the manufacturer in mind to myself. But I have used them during training and during actual operations and have had something push the buttons hard enough to change channels. If you do have them, have your rep program or buy them with a keypad lock out function for safety.

Good one... As far as our radios work,every member is issued one,they are fireground only but like you said can you turn to the correct channel in a pinch,well the radios we have,I had the company set them up so when you turn to our fireground you'll hear a loud low pitch tone. If you change the channel the radio will let you know your not on our fireground by another set of tones.

Radio strap under the coat. Offers your radio a bit more protection from the elements, etc.

Speaking of radio straps/harnes's....where can I find the correct harnes for the HT1250? Does this fit well with it? Or is the radio to small? Ive only seen people with the HT1000's use them so far. I havnt gotten a chance yet to try mine with someone elses harness like that yet. Any help would be great...

When I have my coat on, The radio pocket. When I dont have my coat on, in the pant pocket for now until I find the strap.

I do recommend that harness, I actually just bought a few more last week. They are worth the money, just make sure you get the triple combo, which includes the anti-sway strap…it’s a necessity. I use this harness for my HT1000, HT750, HT860 and HT1250, and it works great for all of them, and "the fire store" does have the lowest price for leather straps

We are in the process of switching to the HT1250's. Each Officer and boss will be getting a take home radio/charger etc. I will let you know....

Rick

Hey all.

Radio Strap bad.....It gets caught and snagged on everything and constantly gets in the way.

Harness Good.....it goes under your coat and keeps the radio close to you, so it A) protects the radio and B) keeps it from snagging.

We cant afford to have radios for every member so if I am not privilaged to have one on the scene I find the nearest window and let her rip!! :P

Stay safe all.

Moose

Edited by Jonesy368