Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Sparks fly after West Nyack firefighters bring truck to war rally in Nanuet

52 posts in this topic

So since so many feel that a public owned vehicle shouldn't be used for this, then would you agree that National Public Radio (NPR) should be taken off the air because it is nearly 100% funded with tax dollars. It is a perfect example of taxpayer money being used for political purposes as it's no secret that NPR flys way to the left and doesn't even come close to equal representation amongst prevaling political agendas.

mmmm, beginning to get a bit off topic but anyway, from Wikipedia's section on NPR. Like anything involving politics, seems to be hard to get a real answer, but it certainly looks like the feds are funding a fairly small proportion of NPR, between 2 & 22%.

According to the 2005 financial statement, NPR makes just over half of its money from the fees and dues it charges member stations to receive programming, although some of this money originated at the CPB itself, in the form of pass-through grants to member stations.[6] About 2% of NPR's funding comes from bidding on government grants and programs, chiefly the Corporation for Public Broadcasting; the remainder comes from member station dues, foundation grants, and corporate underwriting. Typically, NPR member stations raise about one-third of their budget through on-air pledge drives, one-third from corporate underwriting, and one-third from grants from state governments, university grants, and grants from the CPB itself.

The 2% figure above refers only to money contributed by the federal government directly to NPR. Additional government money makes its way to NPR indirectly. This is because the government (again chiefly the Corporation for Public Broadcasting) provides some funding to NPR member stations, the states (and via the states, state universities) in addition to the funding provided to NPR itself. Since these member stations contribute to NPR (in the form of dues and programming fees), the federal government's portion of NPR's budget may be significantly higher than 2%.[citation needed]

Over the years, the portion of the total NPR budget that comes from government has been decreasing. During the 1970s and early 1980s, the majority of NPR funding came from the government. Steps were being taken during the 1980s to completely wean NPR from government support, but the 1983 funding crisis forced the network to make immediate changes. More money to fund the NPR network was raised from listeners, charitable foundations and corporations, and less from the government.

firefighter 70,

First of all, thank you for your service. From what I've read, Afghanistan is hell for our Soldiers and Marines due to the terrain you describe. And to add about your note about the tribes, remember, these people fought along side Osama against the Russians in the 80's. Do you think they'll turn him over?

Someone mentioned Vietnam and the direction from politicians. How can our Generals devise a plan, when Congress attempts to undermine any plans by either the Commander-in-Chief and the Generals.

Now on the subject, it is my understanding that you cannot demonstrate on duty and no public vehicles can be used.

mmmm, beginning to get a bit off topic but anyway, from Wikipedia's section on NPR. Like anything involving politics, seems to be hard to get a real answer, but it certainly looks like the feds are funding a fairly small proportion of NPR, between 2 & 22%.

If that's the case then I stand corrected on the funding of NPR.... My point still stands though, that there are plenty of instances of government funding, facilities, or equipment being used to support one side or the other.

Examples might include Nancy Pelosi using a federally owned aircraft to attend Democratic campaigning events in support of the 2008 Presidential election.... OR George using Air Force One for his 2004 re-election bid.

The point is that it's not such a disgrace as people claim it to be. Rather, it's just the way it is and people should really choose what mountain they want to die on. If the boys and gals in Rockland took the rig out to hand out some water for a cause that wasn't illegal and they considered to be merited then writing newspaper articles about it might be a bit much. Should they have thought twice about it. Maybe. But we are in such a litigious society that everyone wants to exact a pound of flesh for everything that doesn't fit into some pre-planned, politically, emotionally, and socially correct formula.

It's called life and the protesters about the fire truck thing should just get over it.

Keep the faith West Nyack.... Keep showing the Support for our TROOPS...... :lol:

Keep the faith West Nyack.... Keep showing the Support for our TROOPS...... :lol:

First, Firefighter70....you guys are doing a thankless job and it is appreciated.

Second, forget political views....the FD was supporting our troops, not taking sides or protesting other political views. We should all be supporting our troops. Look how many ff's, emt's and cops are over there. Since when did supporting our troops become political???

West Nyack Fire Department, when was the last time you guys

tested the Deck Gun on that Engine? :D

I think every Rockland FD should show up with a "shiny red pumper truck" and sit on a "grassy

spot along Route 59"

Pro War or Anti War SUPPORT THE TROOPS who are fighting

and dying to protect OUR freedom!

Firefighter70......You state that you are in awe of your men, well we are in awe of all the men and women that are deployed overseas and in country that are protecting us. May God keep all of you safe, and we ALL wish for your speedy return!!!

Thank You !!!!!!

If that's the case then I stand corrected on the funding of NPR.... My point still stands though, that there are plenty of instances of government funding, facilities, or equipment being used to support one side or the other.

Examples might include Nancy Pelosi using a federally owned aircraft to attend Democratic campaigning events in support of the 2008 Presidential election.... OR George using Air Force One for his 2004 re-election bid.

The point is that it's not such a disgrace as people claim it to be. Rather, it's just the way it is and people should really choose what mountain they want to die on. If the boys and gals in Rockland took the rig out to hand out some water for a cause that wasn't illegal and they considered to be merited then writing newspaper articles about it might be a bit much. Should they have thought twice about it. Maybe. But we are in such a litigious society that everyone wants to exact a pound of flesh for everything that doesn't fit into some pre-planned, politically, emotionally, and socially correct formula.

It's called life and the protesters about the fire truck thing should just get over it.

No probs - I agree with what you're saying about spending of government money - that's politics.

I certainly thank and respect Firefighter70 and all the men and women serving out there, wherever they're from, whatever their beliefs in the situation.

As for West Nyack, I think they can show support the troops - but perhaps as mentioned elsewhere they should hand refreshments to all exercising their first ammendment rights - providing a community service, preventing dehyradion :). (Maybe they did but that's not mentioned in anything I've seen). I've seen many trucks with Vietnam MIA flags, quite a few showing support for troops - not sure I've seen any stating support for or against 'the war on terrorism' though.

I have a question....when a dept marches in a Memorial Day Parade which I beileve is to honor and show support to our veterans...is that considered being political? Or when each we we attend a 9/11 service to honor the responders who died...is that being political???

Please go to the web site for the Daily News and read the report from the NYPD commissioner about operatives here in the US and what can happen in the future...not only did I support what Nyack did before but all the more I do now. We are facing bigger issues than wether a fire dept stood by and supported the very same people that give us the freedoms we enjoy.

What about displaying it on your engine?

http://x635photos.com/displayimage.php?pos=-991

You can still support the troops, but not support the war. It's two separate things. Dissent is the purest form of patriotism. And I wonder when that became associated with being "anti-American?"

Yes, sure the terrorists are out there, and I support our troops, they are doing a great job under an idiot commander. However, I don't support the war. I feel the billions upon billions of dollars that this war cost us could have been spent better elsewhere, like HOMELAND Security. Also, I feel all the lives lost were needlessy, many lives changed forever and we basically destroyed Iraq. At least with Saddam Hussein in power, there was some stability. He was an evil dicatator, and needed to be removed, but not in the way it was done.

I support our troops, I'd just rather they would be here home, safe with their families.

If we're supposed to be the "leaders of the free world", then why aren't we taking action against the atrocities occuring in Darfur?

If this was "payback for 9/11", and to seek out "those who did it", it's kind of a double edged sword....more people have died because of this war then 9/11.

firefighter 70,

First of all, thank you for your service. From what I've read, Afghanistan is hell for our Soldiers and Marines due to the terrain you describe. And to add about your note about the tribes, remember, these people fought along side Osama against the Russians in the 80's. Do you think they'll turn him over?

Someone mentioned Vietnam and the direction from politicians. How can our Generals devise a plan, when Congress attempts to undermine any plans by either the Commander-in-Chief and the Generals.

Now on the subject, it is my understanding that you cannot demonstrate on duty and no public vehicles can be used.

First I must say it is a privledge and honor for me to serve in the armed forces of the United States. Working with the ANA (Afghan National Army) I found them to be true warriors. I believe the Russians failed because they did not treat the Afghans with respect and as peers/partners, they looked at them as not up to the task etc.

We as Soldiers, Sailors, Airman and Marines due treat them with respect and dignity. When in a close fight, they see that you are by their side and they stick and hold, they started mirroring our image. They responded well to "do as I do" and "follow me". They now operate well as Battalions and improve every day. It's tough to stand up an Army with no leaders at first, try standing up a Fire Department that has several jobs (fires) a day and see what the learning curve is.

Will they turn over Osama if they caught him, "Yes" I think so. I now have life long friends who are Afghan Soldiers, we have a brotherhood of service together.

The tribes that may harbor Osama are not educated well or at all. When you drop messages by aircraft or by hand and the people cannot read, and have been told by terrorists that the Americans will kill you etc, it's normal for these people to fear us. Civil Affairs Soldiers work this area and build bridges to these tribes through education and infrastructor construction (wells, schools, health clinic etc). Many of them learn that we are trying to help, like anything else some are hard to the bone bad and nothing we do would turn them.

As members of the Armed Forces I cannot in uniform act as though I represent the Army at any political event period. I can attend in civilian attire and support who ever I choose such as my local representitive from congress. I cannot influence a soldier to politically do anything one way or another.

It is congress job to debate the War, all wars need this done. Our most precious resourse, our young men and women require nothing less then full commitment of our elected representitives and the citizens of the United States. We rely on this support. I feel properly supported, most people I meet while in uniform have kind words to say such as thanks, others that say things such as "how do you like fighting for oil" or " Your boss is a liar" just make me laugh! I always remember as an "American fighting man" I protect the rights of these people also.

What at times gets me a little blue is all the negative media coverage. Better balance is needed, we have many great things that happen for the nations our Armed Forces serve in around the world (80-100 nations world wide). What I have learned by the media coverage to this point is "If it bleeds it leads" and we may never hear the stories of true heros where ever they may be.

Thank you to all who support us and for keeping us in your prayers.

V/r

"At the tip of the spear"

Keeping the citizens of a country at bay with threats of death and unspeakable torture doesn't constitute stability. Lets not fall into the media set trap people. Remember, the majority of Iraqi providences enjoy relative peace while the vast majority of violence is concentrated within Baghdad and the Sunni triangle. Let's not also overlook the religious and cultural differences at play here as well. As a side bar, Bush was the first US President to deem Darfu genocide. If you want to point fingers, i suggest you do so towards China and Russia who have stonewalled UN security council attempts to deal with Darfur. Why? Because they are likely supplying arms to the janjaweed militias.

I hate to get into political discussions.

firefighter-70,

Thank you for the insight. Stay safe over there. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm really unsure of how giving water to people protesting against people protesting the war (not protesting the troops) is supporting the troops - just can't make the connection myself.

The concern I would have if I was an officer in the department is this: what if tomorrow a house belonging to one of the Anti-War protesters burned down. If I was that homeowner I would have to wonder - did the fire department slow their response because they saw me protesting the war or maybe they didn't work quite as hard as they could have to save my house. Why put yourself or your department in a potential position like that? Why give the media fodder to attack your department and it's members with accusations of bias in how you carry out your duties. The same thing applies to the firemen who said they were more comfortable dealing with burning babies than being around the gay members of their community. If I was a gay person in San Diego I'd wonder if I was going to get the same level of service from my fire department as a non-gay person.

Just remember we are all public servants and I emphasize the word servant. We are there to serve all of our community, not just the people we like or agree with.

The same thing applies to the firemen who said they were more comfortable dealing with burning babies than being around the gay members of their community. If I was a gay person in San Diego I'd wonder if I was going to get the same level of service from my fire department as a non-gay person.

Dude... What are you talking about??? You didn't get a good handle on the SanDiego deal. The FF's were FORCED to attend the parade as participants by a superior officer via direct order. The men involved said that they didn't enjoy the fact that they were FORCED to participate in an event that had nothing to do with their job even after they requested to be excused. I'm sure that the gay folks in SanDiego are probably more offended that someone was forced to attend their event rather than being there of their own choice.

We need to stop reaching for stuff to be pissed off about.

By the way.... For the crowd of people who are in the "Firemen were wrong crowd"... Let me ask you this. What is a bigger waste of public resources.

5-10 firemen taking a Volunteer staffed vehicle to "support the troops". Cost = Diesel, limited wear & tear on vehicle, minor chance of uneccessary vehicle accident

OR

5000 people protesting the war in NYC marching up a major avenue which has costs such as = Hundreds of extra police officers on overtime, multple emergency services responses for those who fall ill, injured, etc, fuel costs, non-protesting citizens who are forced to wait for emergency services due to delays related to traffic / resources committed to the protest.... etc....

It just seems like most of this stuff is one sided. Kind of like, "the war sucks, so we're entitled to do/say/act however we want to voice our opinion regardless of what it costs." BUT a bunch of FF's can't roll out in thier rig to support the troops.... It doesn't even sound like these guys were "supporting the war". They were just supporting the troops. You know... supporting the troops as in like, we'll be here to help you when you get home... We miss you, you're not forgotten, WE LOVE YOU... You know... the TROOPS, our brothers, sisters, friends, parents, children, grandparents.... the dude who I wanted to wipe the sidewalk with in highschool who is a bigger man than I am because he volunteered to become a soldier in 1998 and hasn't stopped following orders since.

You know... The Troops.

Edited by mfc2257

Dude... What are you talking about??? You didn't get a good handle on the SanDiego deal. The FF's were FORCED to attend the parade as participants by a superior officer via direct order. The men involved said that they didn't enjoy the fact that they were FORCED to participate in an event that had nothing to do with their job even after they requested to be excused. I'm sure that the gay folks in SanDiego are probably more offended that someone was forced to attend their event rather than being there of their own choice.

We need to stop reaching for stuff to be pissed off about.

I'm not pissed off about it, nor do I think anyone should be forced to march in a parade they don't want to - my point was when you say things like "I've dealt with finding bodies in burning buildings, traffic accidents with kids, but I've never been so stressed out before until this incident," it makes you look really anti-gay and therefore creates a situation whereby people can accuse you or your department of bias in responding to their emergencies.

What you do on your own time out of uniform is one thing, what you do or say when you are representing your department is an entirely different matter. I have my own opinions about the war but I would never go to a demonstration in my uniform for either side of the issue. I'm not judging anyone's position on the war - that's everyone's own thing, I'm just giving my opinion for supporting either side in an official capacity.

I'm not pissed off about it, nor do I think anyone should be forced to march in a parade they don't want to - my point was when you say things like "I've dealt with finding bodies in burning buildings, traffic accidents with kids, but I've never been so stressed out before until this incident," it makes you look really anti-gay and therefore creates a situation whereby people can accuse you or your department of bias in responding to their emergencies.

What you do on your own time out of uniform is one thing, what you do or say when you are representing your department is an entirely different matter. I have my own opinions about the war but I would never go to a demonstration in my uniform for either side of the issue. I'm not judging anyone's position on the war - that's everyone's own thing, I'm just giving my opinion for supporting either side in an official capacity.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. With everything I've seen in my career nothing has made me feel like more of a piece of crap than being objectified and turned into nothing more than piece of meat. I was raised not to treat women that way and I am bothered to be treated that way. As for your views on the war, I agree in that they are independent of ones support and appreciation of our soldiers. People should not be put in a position where they feel they MUST support a war, a sexual orientation, sports franchise, nationality, etc. Support your brothers overseas and the fighting men and women of our armed services. Send them cae pacjages, write them letters, and line the streets when they return home, but it doesn't mean you have to support the awr they are fighting. We have the amazing right to question our leaders decisions and actions and we need to exercise that right. If you really want to make a statement about supporting the troops then protect both sides right to protest. Offer everyone involved water and shelter. Look after both sides of the debate.

This off subject PEOPLE CALL THE FIRE DEPT BECAUSE WE RESPOND EVERY DAY,EVERY TIME TO ANYONE NO ? ASKED

While I agree that we need to support the troops (former USAF), the public does not live in reality, they live in perception. And if they see a government vehicle with a group of protesters, they're going to think that the city, or that agency also take that stance, popular or not. It is best to take the high road, support the cause off duty, and don't cause waves that could impact your agency.

I know this is hypocrisy, when your civic leaders can and will request you for parades and such, but life isn't fair. Sorry.

This off subject PEOPLE CALL THE FIRE DEPT BECAUSE WE RESPOND EVERY DAY,EVERY TIME TO ANYONE NO ? ASKED

What??

No fire trucks at Nanuet troop support rally

By ALICE GOMSTYN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 25, 2007)

NANUET - There were firefighters but no fire trucks today at a weekly "Support Our Troops" rally at the intersection of Middletown Road and Route 59.

Some 50 people, including firefighters from eight different Rockland County Fire Departments, attended the rally, which was held across the street from a demonstration staged by peace activists protesting the Iraq War.

The presence of the fire trucks at two recent "Support Our Troops" rallies sparked criticism from some anti-war protestors.

On Aug. 11, a West Nyack fire truck, which was purchased with taxpayer money, was driven to the rally. Last week, the rally included a Pearl River fire truck - which was bought and paid for by the Pearl River fire department's membership - and an antique fire truck.

Read more about this story tomorrow in The Journal News.