Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mobile Evacuation Bus

18 posts in this topic

Looks like a pretty cool concept, wonder if Westchester County would ever delve into something like this?

For photos: http://www.sartinservices.com/MAB.html

N.C. Company Creates Mobile Evacuation Bus

Office of Homeland Security/Washington, DC Fire Departments Plan Unveiling at Capitol

HIGH POINT, N.C., March 28, 2007 – The federal government is so excited about High Point, N.C.-based Sartin Services' newest product (MAB), Mobile Evacuation Bus, that it has already ordered seven for Washington, DC area fire departments, and plans to unveil the vehicles in grand fashion at the Capitol building in Washington during a major press conference Thursday (held on 4th St. between Jefferson and Madison).

"We are so pleased that the government shares our excitement about these vehicles and realizes the potential for helping people in the event of a major accident, a terrorist action, a pandemic or a natural disaster such as a hurricane. Our goal in developing this vehicle was to give responding rescue and medical personnel the tools they needed to care for and transport large numbers of patients which we hope will save lives," said Ed Sartin, president of Sartin Services.

After Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast in the fall of 2005, Sartin had an idea. He wanted to design a patient evacuation/triage vehicle that could treat and transport large numbers of patients or victims to or from a hospital. He wanted a complete patient care system that could be assembled in any large vehicle such as a bus, tractor trailer, truck, train, airplane, subway car or a railroad car. The design that Sartin and his son Austin, came up with makes it possible to treat and transport large numbers of injured people at the same time. Being familiar with buses, they started with the shell of a bus and got to work building a bigger, better triage/evacuation vehicle. They have succeeded.

The Sartins’ designed the vehicle with several unique components that give caregivers the tools they need to treat or transport large numbers of patients or victims. A sliding stretcher stacking system allows medical personnel to load as many as 24 patients on one bus. A large oxygen storage and distribution system provides a long term supply of oxygen and an individual metered oxygen supply for each patient. A large adjustable ramp that stores under the bus is used for loading or unloading patients. The ramp can be positioned at different height levels to accommodate the loading or unloading needs of medical personnel. The bus also has many other special features including a nurse's station, seating for medical personnel, an onboard generator, electrical outlets and storage compartments for medical machines and equipment, emergency lighting and siren, heating and air conditioning. The Sartin’s have filed several patent applications on the vehicle and components. The system is not only limited to a bus, it can be installed on trucks, tractor-trailers, trains, subway cars, railroad cars or airplanes.

"In the event of a major medical emergency - whether it’s a subway accident, multi-casualty incident, or a terrorist attack - it may be necessary to transport large numbers of victims to the hospital,” said Tom Carr, fire chief of the Montgomery County, Md. Fire and Rescue Service, which coordinated the purchase. “While an ambulance can handle one or possibly two patients, these specially outfitted buses will increase the region’s transport capability allowing each vehicle to accommodate up to 21 victims at a time.”

The funds for this initial bus purchase were procured from a grant from the Department of Homeland Security - Homeland Security’s Urban Area Security Initiative. Once complete, the MABs will be delivered to different fire departments in the Washington, DC area, including Montgomery County, Md.

"These buses will be vital in transporting pandemic patients, going to a major medical emergency, a mass-casualty incident, a terrorist attack, evacuation of a hospital in a hurricane’s path or even to be on-site in the Western forest fires to allow firefighters to get oxygen and sleep,” says Austin Sartin.

Sartin Services, Inc. specializes in the design, manufacture and installation of custom interiors on buses, emergency response vehicles, mobile command centers and the new (MAB) Mobile Evacuation Bus. The company’s parts division ships transportation related parts all over the United States and to seven foreign countries. It is one of the largest bus conversion companies in the country installing school bus air conditioning and other specialty products in thousands of buses each year.

For photos: http://www.sartinservices.com/MAB.html

Damn. Nice idea. Looks a bit like the bunks in a submarine. Just you aren't sleeping on 5 tons of torpedo. :D

Just you aren't sleeping on 5 tons of torpedo

I thought that was every sailors dream WAS?

Great concept and looks like a very well designed interior. Wonder what their staffing policies will be?

Would be great EMT-P-CC operation.

Talk about remembering to ask dispatch for an ambulance, and not a "bus". Thats a good way to confuse the hell out of everyone. I think those are really cool. It is a great idea, and a positive step in the right direction. Too often, in the case of a real MCI, there is plenty of manpower, and not nearly enough equpiment to transport patients. they may have some use around here

Talk about remembering to ask dispatch for an ambulance, and not a "bus". Thats a good way to confuse the hell out of everyone.

:lol: :lol: I'm sure it would be VERY confusing for those who use the expression "Get me a bus on a rush"

Next thing you know, that rolls up.

HAHAHA, I think that would be hillarious. I could just see the look on somebody's face when that thing rolled into the scene. If i'm not mistaken X, don't we know a few people that have a habit of using that expression???

FDNY EMS currently has two two similar vehicles, MERV 1 and MERV 2 as well as a the MRTU Mobile Respiratory Treatment Unit which is a converted bus with seating for 30 (?) with some seats able to be converted to hold stretchers. FDNY is actually about to add two more MERV's to their collection. I'm sure they could be requested.

I saw the one in the first picture at the Baltimore Fire Expo. Tried convincing the EMS Asst. Chief that we should sell both our ambulances and get that, you'd never have to worry about toning a second unit, you just drive from one call to the next! ALL ABOARD!

Interesting. I know we're planning on replacing the "bus" we use for our Medical Units on our Wildland contracts. Plus, after our little inhouse disaster drill last week, we may be looking for something like this.

Edited by RescueKujo

HAHAHA, I think that would be hillarious. I could just see the look on somebody's face when that thing rolled into the scene. If i'm not mistaken X, don't we know a few people that have a habit of using that expression???

[sarcasm] I have NO idea what you're talking about EFFP411![/sarcasm]

Lets not get too overboard here...I think most of us that have been in the business long enough know what we're referring to in context with the term "bus." If I wanted that thing I'd call exactly for it. Big difference between get me "a" bus and "the" bus.

I dont think that "the bus" would fit on many streets in Westchester. However, I think it would make a pretty unique disscussion piece at an event such as a celebration/PR events.

This also looks like what the military used to use in korea, and in vietnam to transfer patients from the frontlines to the mash units

This also looks like what the military used to use in korea, and in vietnam to transfer patients from the frontlines to the mash units

do you have a pic of that it seems pretty cool i would like to see one if you have it.

do you have a pic of that it seems pretty cool i would like to see one if you have it.

Ummm...try the link at the top of x635's very first post...right next to where it says "photos" lol. LOL. You still crack me up kiddo.

Wouldn't fit on most Westchester streets? First...why not? Second...this would be in the treatment sector so it only has to be close enough.

Ummm...try the link at the top of x635's very first post...right next to where it says "photos" lol. LOL. You still crack me up kiddo.

Wouldn't fit on most Westchester streets? First...why not? Second...this would be in the treatment sector so it only has to be close enough.

Thanks ALS I try (sometimes). It would work for evacuation of certain senior citizen assisted living facilities, wouldn't it?

Edited by MoFire390

Actually, I think he may be talking about images of the planes, not the bus :P I've seen this before in the C-130 of the RAF. So far I've found a private company, Air Ambulance Technoloyair_do8g.jpg

This is more of what I was thinking of Katrina Archivestandard.jpg

(Sept. 4, 2005) – Hurricane Katrina survivors are stacked five-high as they are medically evacuated from New Orleans to Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla., aboard a U.S. Air Force Reserve Command C-130 Hercules aircraft configured for medical evacuation flights. The Navy's involvement in the Hurricane Katrina humanitarian assistance operations is led by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), in conjunction with the Department of Defense. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Andrea Decanini