Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers Heavy Lift Rescue 1-Could It Work?

19 posts in this topic

As we all know, Yonkers FD is very fortunate and has and is developing one of the premier Fire-Department USAR operations on the East coast.

This is a new delivery to Los Angeles County FD. It's called "Heavy Lift Rescue 36". When put into service, it will be manned by 1 specially trained FF-Apparatus Operator and supplemented by 2 specially trained Engine Company personel where it is quarters.

This is a 2006 Western Star/Century 60 Ton Rotating Lift boom.

There is a variety of situations this could be used in, and it could also be used to tow apparatus when needed (although Yonkers fleet is brand new!)

I think it would be a great supplemental addition for YFD, as well as benefit the surrounding communties.

(Los Angeles CITY FD has been running a similar unit, Heavy Rescue 56, for numerous years. The specs on LACoFD's is similar.)

post-11-1188338082.jpg

post-11-1188338092.jpg

that looks huge! Seth, are they parking it in back, cause 36's is just like 127's and I don't think there's much room there. When I was at the station in July it looked like the bays were full.

Duane

that looks huge! Seth, are they parking it in back, cause 36's is just like 127's and I don't think there's much room there. When I was at the station in July it looked like the bays were full.

Duane

According to the guy's at 36's, they have no idea what's going on, lol. They just found out a few days ago they were gettting it.

I'll echo Duanes comment, and, isn't that always the way?? The guys working out in the field are always the last ones to know. It's gonna be a VERY tight fit with 36, 236 and the Squad. Since I'm not too knowledgable about what this rig can do, I really can't comment on the feasibility of its use in the area.

Edited by JBE

I don't think so...thinking back, there has not been many calls over the past 6-7 years that this would have helped deal with. Yesterday's job is just one of those fluke things...and sometimes when it is your time, it is your time. I see the point of a countywide or semi-regionalwide vehicle, but then response times come into play and ego's ya know! LA has some big freeways and some nasty spills occur with tractor trailers and such...we have I87 and maybe one tt accident a year as far as I can tell.

Seth-didn't LA have 2 such rigs? I believe it was designated HR-88?

cause 36's is just like 127's

Sounds like there still are 2, HR35 and HR127. Maybe they re-designated the numbers or something.

I'm thinking that the way to utilize this type of equipment is to contract with someone like Stiloski's. A rig like this would largly go unused by YFD or any other department for that matter, so why not let the guys who run this stuff on a regular basis take care of it for us.

Pay for the Stiloski's guys to be specially trained on doing rescue-style pick's with the crane. Then have an annual contract with them with a requirment that one of their rigs will always be available, OR immeadiatly made available.

Even if there was a unit to be purchased for rescue only service, I don't think Yonkers would be the place for it. Stationing it at the training center with the technical rescue team makes more sense. It gives access to everywhere in the county via it's proximity to I87, I287 to Hutch/I95, Taconic, Saw Mill, Sprain, Rt 100(s), Rt 9(s), etc.

A little off the topic...but after seeing mfc's avatar, that spinning light thing (rotoray), on my computer it flashes blue around each of the lights as it spins...they should do that to the real thing, put a blue led ring around each halogen bulb...that would definitely get someones attention!!!!!!! Can this post be intellectual property? so when they do it, I get 10 bucks for each one produced?????? Don't delete this Seth...I will kick you back some!

There is a roto-ray made now that is all LED's behind the lenses. I'm sure it's possible with a soldering iron and a little extra switching equipment to make them flash any way you want.

I know we have cheated, but Hyatt's garage on Rt. 52 has a heavy wrecker bigger than that, and if we need it for something in particular, the owner is always more than happy to get it for us, no matter what time it is. I remember one incident in particular when we had him bring it out on the Taconic State Parkway to lift a tree off of a truck that was wedged under it, with the driver trapped. then we used it to lift the truck out of the ditch. It was cool to see a pickup truck hanging by its nose about 30 feet in the air. The guy was relatively unharmed, other than the fact that his head was millimeters between the B- Pillar and the tree. The contracted towing company for the TSP wasn't too happy with us though.....

Sounds like there still are 2, HR35 and HR127. Maybe they re-designated the numbers or something.

Oswego,

My comment was referencing the fire stations. FS 36 and FS 127 are on the same street seperated by about 2 miles in Carson. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by RescueKujo

In the city I work in near Boston, we are fortunate to have a tow company with heavy duty tows similar to this garaged in our city. They also have a large utility type truck with air bags and other gear for tractor trailer roll overs, etc. They respond on request, and are usually on scene very quickly. I believe they bill the owners of the involved vehicles and may also bill the city. Very much like Stiloski's in Westchester.

In parts of Europe many small Fire Depts have this type of speciality equipment. In Poland there is a department that area wide is about the size of Yonkers and runs out of 2 Stations. The area is so large that mutual aid is almost non-existent. Except to the outlining area of the city.

post-1341-1188512101.jpg

You can browse a full service F.D. at this link (if you can read Polish it might be more interesting).

www.straz.olsztyn.pl

United towing on Halsted Ave in Harrison recently purchased a large rig like the LA one.

i would say go out and get to know your local towing and recovery services, they have the equipment already, and people who are qualified and knowledgeable in its use. train with them and work out an agreement on calss where you will need somethig like this

then work with your dispatch center to notify them when you do need them, most towing companies have a rotation/on-call system of their own to answer calls

Vincent's in Mamaroneck has a full fleet of trucks including a lowboy available 24/7 365 they have the thruway contract

Autobhan in Elmsford also 24/7 365 also have the thruway contract

post-3117-1188690921.jpg

I have to agree with all the other posts on here. If municipally owned, it would be idle most of the time and wind up costing the town/city/fire district money in the long run. FD personnel would have to be crossed trained to operate it and that requires training meaning something else isn't being done because there sure isn't lots of down time anymore.

Rather than duplicate existing resources (as was pointed out these things exist all over the County in towing/recovery services) concerned agencies should train and contract with the entities that have them already and establish agreements for their emergency use.

WHEN YOU NEED SOMETHING DONE STILOSKI'S IS THE ONE....

Got a nice ring ...

I amexclusively claiming rights. LOL.