Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OnTheWheel

P.O. Shamus Sliney Pelham PD

23 posts in this topic

Decorated Pelham police officer dies in Cortlandt crash

By ROB RYSER AND LESLIE KORNGOLD

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 27, 2007)

CORTLANDT - A decorated 11-year veteran of the Pelham police department died yesterday when his 2006 Cadillac slammed into a tree off Route 9, the Pelham Police Department confirmed this morning.

Shamus Sliney, 34, of Peekskill was driving south on Route 9 about 4 p.m. when the accident happened.

State troopers in Cortlandt were piecing together the circumstances and had not determined by early this morning what caused the accident.

Pelham Police Chief Joseph Benefico is expected to release a statement later this morning.

Sliney joined the Pelham village Police Department in 1996 after spending two years in the Mount Vernon Police Department. His father, James, had also been a Pelham village policeman.

In 1996 while still with Mount Vernon, Sliney appeared with four other Mount Vernon police officers before the Mount Vernon City Council to testify about the shifting of business for the purchase of uniform patches to a friend of the then-Commissioner Ralph Fatigate and Chief Michael Carpano and the misuse of federal drug forfeiture money to buy otherwise unnecessary new patches while the department was unable to purchase required equipment.

With Pelham, he was given a meritorious duty award in 1997,

Sliney had been on desk duty recently because of an injury. He told a Journal News reporter just this week that he was excited about getting back into uniform next week.

Sliney was a 1990 Pelham Memorial High School graduate and the proud father of a soon-to-be 3-year-old girl. Beaming, he spoke often of her precociousness.

Rest in Peace

Thoughts and prayers to his family. May God watch over them during this tragic time.

I can't believe this. Shamus went to the ACADEMY with my buddy and I did many and EMS call with him in MT VERNON. GOD REST YOUR SOUL Shamus.

MY thoughts and prayers to his familty and may he RIP

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. This is very sad,my sister watches the little girl.

RIP

I found out about this when I was at work ealier today at stop and shop. A guy came to my register and I asked how he was doing and he said he lost a very close friend last night on Route 9 in a car accident, and that he was a police officer. I tried to give him some words of encouragement, hopefully he will keep his head up.

May he rest in peace........

RIP Shamus

Attached pics from lohud.com

post-4961-1190991290.jpg

post-4961-1190991300.jpg

Wake & Funeral Info:

Pelham Funeral Home

64 Lincoln Avenue

Pelham, NY

Wakes: Saturday September 29, 2007 7 - 9 pm

Sunday September 30, 2007 2 - 4 pm and 7 - 9 pm

Funeral: Mass Monday October 1, 2007 10 am at St. Catharine's Church 25 Second Avenue, Pelham.

Interment at the Greenwood Union Cemetery in Rye will follow.

Thoughts, Prayers and Condolences to Officer Slinet's Family, friends and to the Pelham Police Department as well as the entire Law Enforcement Community. May God's Perpetual Light shine upon him and may he rest in Peace.

RIP Brother.... My thoughts and prayers are with his family.