Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Queens- St. John's Student w/Gun 09-26-07

7 posts in this topic

NYPD: Student Gunman Bought Rifle At Retail Store

POSTED: 1:31 pm EDT September 27, 2007

UPDATED: 5:50 pm EDT September 27, 2007

NEW YORK -- At a press conference Thursday, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly revealed that the St. John's freshman arrested with a rifle Wednesday bought the firearm for $170 at an area retail store. Kelly also lauded the campus' response to a potentially deadly situation.

Law enforcement sources said they believe the rifle was purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods in Poughkeepsie. When WNBC.com contacted the store to ask if they sold the weapon, a worker there said "no comment" and hung up the phone.

The remarkable events came to a "successful, peaceful close,” said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. " [The] university's response serves as a national model. [it was the] best possible outcome - no one was injured and the response by the police and university was flawless,” Kelly added.

A hero NYPD cadet, Christopher Benson, was given a citation and plaque in congratulations for his efforts in helping stop Omesh Hiraman, 22, who was arrested Wednesday on St. John's campus.

Kelly said the investigation of the incident is ongoing. A warrant was issued for the seizure of Hiraman’s computer, Kelly added.

Kelly said Hiraman bought the rifle last week.

"We are not in a position to identify a motive at this time,” Kelly said. “There is nothing to indicate he had any problem with another student or anything like that."

Kelly said Hiraman flagged down a livery cab that took him to gate five at St. John’s Wednesday.

He was scheduled to attend a business law class at 2:30 p.m., Kelly said.

Quote from St. John's student on Eyewitness News Channel 7 website:

"The man walks over here, he had it in a bag at first, he didn't take it out, it was in a bag," one student said. "So he was walking with it, and we're like, wait, it was mad suspicious. So my boy's like, 'Oh, it's a [expletive] rifle!' because he saw the back of the gun hanging out the bag. He runs, I'm like '[expletive].' I run too. And then I got a text that there's a man walking on the campus with a rifle."

- http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=...&id=5677404

Edited by cisforsmasher

Cisformasher are you serious with that quote? That is one of the funniest things i've heard.

The problem is if someone doesn't have any type of history, the 14 day wait period doesn't do any good. So, if there's been no documented problems with mental instability or criminal history, they cannot hold up the sale. I don't have a solution, but there's gotta be a better way.

Quote from St. John's student on Eyewitness News Channel 7 website:

"The man walks over here, he had it in a bag at first, he didn't take it out, it was in a bag," one student said. "So he was walking with it, and we're like, wait, it was mad suspicious. So my boy's like, 'Oh, it's a [expletive] rifle!' because he saw the back of the gun hanging out the bag. He runs, I'm like '[expletive].' I run too. And then I got a text that there's a man walking on the campus with a rifle."

- http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=...&id=5677404

Isnt refreshing to see how educated our college students are these days. Think the comment gives St. Johns a bad name more then the the kid with a morden day single shot muzzle loader does.

Good argument for having armed police officers in universities.

Isnt refreshing to see how educated our college students are these days. Think the comment gives St. Johns a bad name more then the the kid with a morden day single shot muzzle loader does.

:lol::lol::lol:

How about the Police Cadet that assisted - he is set for his career.