Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

Verplank's C-Model Mack Saved

36 posts in this topic

The lime green c model mack that once ran as engine 127? has been saved. after a time upstate as target for rocks at a training center?? it is in circleville n.y. with many frends that will take good care of it.

I tried for 5 years to get this rig, but it was picked up by my friend who was there at the right time with stuff in his pockets!

AGGG!!!! No way! That stinks but you know what, see if you can help him restore the truck.

If you can get some pic when it is referbished that would be great thanks...

A question for the board here, was this Mack C originally painted Lime green when it was ordered?

I'll second Izzy's question, and also, does anyone have photos of this engine while it was in service with Verplank?

A true classic has been saved! Well I'd love to see pictures of it before it is restored, also after it has been restored.

Edited by DOC22
Punctuation and Brammar Errors

If I'm not mistaken - it was actually red and painted slime, I mean green, in the late 70's / early 80's.

I'm sure someone can answer this for sure!

If I'm not mistaken - it was actually red and painted slime, I mean green, in the late 70's / early 80's.

I'm sure someone can answer this for sure!

I know this is an old post, but it went unanswered. It was originally painted Red, and then was Slimed in the late 70's, exactly when, I do not recall. The steering wheel remained red. That was a fun rig to drive.

I'll second Izzy's question, and also, does anyone have photos of this engine while it was in service with Verplank?

Photo by Joseph A. Pinto

Choice Marketing . net 1800-999-CHOICE

post-23-1199712009.jpg

I also forgot to mention that before it was E127, it was Engine 17x. There is a list in the firehouse somewhere that showed the old designations of the apparatus, but apparently at one time the county asked Verplanck to change their numbers, and Fairview was able to take Verplanck's old designations so that they would not have to change their numbers. I can not recall the actual number 127 had, but it was in the 170's if I am thinking right.

Can anyone substantiate this, or fill in some gaps?

Edited by TR54

This is a recent picture that I took. A bit crowded, but the best I could do.

post-289-1199726360.jpg

I also forgot to mention that before it was E127, it was Engine 17x. There is a list in the firehouse somewhere that showed the old designations of the apparatus, but apparently at one time the county asked Verplanck to change their numbers, and Fairview was able to take Verplanck's old designations so that they would not have to change their numbers. I can not recall the actual number 127 had, but it was in the 170's if I am thinking right.

Can anyone substantiate this, or fill in some gaps?

Probably Engine 173, That number was not always used by Fairview , but before my time not 100% sure.

Is this the same engine the county used as Engine 7 at the FTC back in the 80's and if not who's was E-7 and also does anyone have any pic's og old E-7 and Ladder 7 (Open Cab ALF).

Thanks

Is this the same engine the county used as Engine 7 at the FTC back in the 80's and if not who's was E-7 and also does anyone have any pic's og old E-7 and Ladder 7 (Open Cab ALF).

Thanks

This was not the Engine used at the FTC - I do not know where that engine came from.

This was not the Engine used at the FTC - I do not know where that engine came from.

that was a YONKERS engine, the ladder came out of long is. or n.j. not sure. used both in our class 3-90

A list that I have from the 1960's/70's lists Verplanck apparatus as E172 & E173 and Amb.8.

I remember seeing that Engine growing up in the area. I am not a "POINTER", but live close enough, unfortunately (LOL). I also remember seeing pictures of the Old Montrose FD units, and maybe 1 was also a Mack "C", but I am not a true fire apparatus buff so I really have no idea...

Nice touch SteveO - Thanks for the info. The other Engine back then was a gasoline powered TASC (Trautwein and Sons Co). Well before my time.

Oswego - Fortunately, I am a Pointer, relocated to CT, but hey - I take no offense! :D

I have a photo of that GMC taken at PORT CHESTER high school when the engine was new. sold out of willow motors in PORT CHESTER.

Willow motors sold the chassis, or the entire apparatus? Were they an apparatus dealer as well back in the day? That's pretty interesting. Thanks. I had forgotten that it was on a GMC chassis. Can you post a pic when you get a chance?

Thanks. I had forgotten that it was on a GMC chassis. Can you post a pic when you get a chance?

I'll second that ... pic when you get a chance :rolleyes:

Glad to see someone is saving and restoring classic fire rigs. Would love to see photos when it is finished.

AS TR54 knows I have many boxs to go threw. out of work now I have time to go threw them with one arm . give me time and you won't be disappointed. ;)

Photo by TR54

after the 2007 County Convention Parade in Port Chester NY.

Engine 126. :rolleyes:just wanted to share.

post-23-1200358779.jpg