Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Mount Vernon Firehouses Are A Mess!

60 posts in this topic

Todays journal news- ongoing problems with all 4 firehouses. Union officials have contacted local newspapers etc about the horrible conditions that the FDMV have to face on a daily basis. Maggots, bedbugs, mice to mention a few of the critters have made themselves a home. Mold and mildew as well as raw sewage is present possibly creating a health hazard. In HQ the constant water leaks from the roof that has been a constant mess because the holes still exist in the ceilings. Mold and mildew are present also. Its time for the city of Mt Vernon to step up and correct the below standard conditions! The Dept Of Labor has been notified and hopefully they will inspect and make MV "CLEAN HOUSE"!!!

I heard recently that the maggots turned into butterflys and flew away so the problem corrected itself! lol

Its funny how people on here spend countless hours talking about useless b.s. like whose truck is bigger than whose and how much they love eachother. Meanwhile here is a brother who is telling about the squalid conditions he and his department are forced to work in, and no one cares. He is having a conversations with himself. Unbelievable!

Its funny how people on here spend countless hours talking about useless b.s. like whose truck is bigger than whose and how much they love eachother. Meanwhile here is a brother who is telling about the squalid conditions he and his department are forced to work in, and no one cares. He is having a conversations with himself. Unbelievable!

Amen brother! It's pathetic that conditions like this are allowed to exist anywhere.

Hey Hudson, let us know if there is anything we can do to help the process. BTW, can't you do some live burn training and solve the problems that way?

No different than many of the households in Mt. Vernon or any of the other buildings in the city, including the schools! Someone once told me, "If we get a job in the Vern, don't put the bags on the floor, and don't lean on the walls in the house!" Guess it goes for firehouses too.... It is ridiculous, buildings are constructed in the "government" setting and then they just sit there, hardly maintained, very rarely cleaned. As for a firehouse, shouldn't the members do what they can to keep up their "temporary home away from home"? I mean, routine cleaning and such, even us dispatchers usually clean up after ourselves...we do have a cleaning crew come through on the week nights, they vacuum and change the garbages and such, but if you spill something, you clean it up...and if there is a problem you pass it along in a timely fashion and not wait for it to get worse!

Fire HQ or Station 1 was someones home back in the 40's and 50's donated to the city. Bays were added and some interior wirk done. I suppose the roof hasn't been replaced in 40 years. It leaked back then. I remember after the members of Engine 6 fixed the basement it flooded. Oak Street is the oldest house still in use. That's over 100 years old. Fulton street was built in the 60's I think and 3rd Ave in the late 70's early 80's. Who knows what work has been done to the buildings since then. Knowing the city, very little. Look at what happened to the library. How many books were ruined when the roof just let the rain in. It still took over a year of rain water pouring in pretty much unchecked until something was finally done.

In a real heavy rain the front of the High School always looked like a lake. Bet that still happens.

Just for the record:

ALL of the current problems have been recorded numerous times , starting since 1992, we do try to take care of what we have but please tell me how to clean MOLD,Insects-( most you cant see),and a administration that does not care.

Our jobs are to protect lives and property of the people of Mt. Vernon not be part time janitors. And please lets not insult the people that live here, most are good people having a hard time. These are not things that happened yesterday and yes shame on us for not being heard before , but think of the number of problems we have, after awhile, people say it's them again.

Gotta go now I cant stay in this room any longer then 5 minutes before I need to shower.

Edited by jloftus

IT IS EASY TO SAY WHY DON'T YOU CLEAN THIS OR THAT. UNLESS YOU WORK FOR A CITY ADMIN IT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND THE BROKEN PROMISES, ESPECIALY AROUND ELECTION TIME. HOW ABOUT KUDO,S TO THE BROTHERS WHO STILL SHOW UP FOR WORK TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE OF THAT CITY. AND I BET IF YOU ASK THEM THEY WILL STILL TELL YOU THEY DO IT BECAUSE THEY LOVE THE JOB :angry:

IT IS EASY TO SAY WHY DON'T YOU CLEAN THIS OR THAT. UNLESS YOU WORK FOR A CITY ADMIN IT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND THE BROKEN PROMISES, ESPECIALY AROUND ELECTION TIME. HOW ABOUT KUDO,S TO THE BROTHERS WHO STILL SHOW UP FOR WORK TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE OF THAT CITY. AND I BET IF YOU ASK THEM THEY WILL STILL TELL YOU THEY DO IT BECAUSE THEY LOVE THE JOB :angry:

Good response. Must be tough working for a Mayor that has no regard for you guys. Then again he is too busy pretending he is doing a good job. I hope you guys take this all the way and improve the conditions you deserve to work in.

Edited by DOC22

Between the promotional screw up, the F.B.I. rats both admid and vermon type.The guys on the floor must really love the JOB. Hudson144 your are better men for sticking it out than the city knows.

FOOD IS GOOD! As i read the many posts pertaining to the FDMV both on here, in the Journal news or where ever else it might pop up lets not forget this- The Mayor runs the city however, who is responsible for the daily operation of the show? I don't care that hands may be tied when it comes to certain things on the job. Many things can or could have been corrected in the FD without spending a dime. Fire Dept management is ultimately responsible for the show to go on! When nobody is at the helm then the ship sinks! Our ship has sunk over and over to a point that the coast guard gave up on us! Maybe someday the helm will be taken over and the dept is allowed to be run correctly not run into the ground. For those of you mention the love for the job, yes the love is still there and over the years I do not recall at anytime us guys complaining about the salarys. Yes money is a driving force for all of us because thats how we survive and provide for our familys. The true issues have been the same for ever, manpower, safety, broken down rigs etc. I often say that the fancy stuff doesn't put out the fires the hoseline,axe,haligan, airpack etc put out the fires along with people who care to do the job and care to know the job. This is all good because I believe that in time the FDMV will rebound, when you hit the bottom there is only one way to go and that is up! As always we thank all of you for the support! Be safe!

Edited by hudson144

FOOD IS GOOD! As i read the many posts pertaining to the FDMV both on here, in the Journal news or where ever else it might pop up lets not forget this- The Mayor runs the city however, who is responsible for the daily operation of the show? I don't care that hands may be tied when it comes to certain things on the job. Many things can or could have been corrected in the FD without spending a dime. Fire Dept management is ultimately responsible for the show to go on! When nobody is at the helm then the ship sinks! Our ship has sunk over and over to a point that the coast guard gave up on us! Maybe someday the helm will be taken over and the dept is allowed to be run correctly not run into the ground. For those of you mention the love for the job, yes the love is still there and over the years I do not recall at anytime us guys complaining about the salarys. Yes money is a driving force for all of us because thats how we survive and provide for our familys. The true issues have been the same for ever, manpower, safety, broken down rigs etc. I often say that the fancy stuff doesn't put out the fires the hoseline,axe,haligan, airpack etc put out the fires along with people who care to do the job and care to know the job. This is all good because I believe that in time the FDMV will rebound, when you hit the bottom there is only one way to go and that is up! As always we thank all of you for the support! Be safe!

In a nut shell.........with out poeple at the top that really care nothing will get done. The commissioner has to step up to the plate and give his workers an enviroment that will put a smile on their faces and bounce in their step.

I bet Ernie's office and his car puts a smile on on his face every morning. He seems to always have a smile when he on TV or in the paper.

Mount Vernon Fire Headquarters - EXTREME MAKEOVER? We could only wish!!! More to follow!

keep an eye on this one! Breaking news coming soon!

When can we expect this breaking news? Monday? This week?

Not sure on the timing, on another note-GOOGLE '' mold in firehouses" alot of information which may apply to all of us both in the firehouses and in our own homes.

Edited by hudson144

To fill you all in on what is going on here, 2 weeks ago a company came in to inspect fire headquarters. The company did a walk through that I was present for and basically I was embarrassed as hell that someone from the outside had to see how we live in our "2nd home". The gentleman was a professional and very into his work. Along with him was a deputy commissioner from DPW and a couple of workers from DPW. The reaction from them was sad as well as comical. This gentleman pulled no punches and stated that we as members residing in this house will get a copy of the report because in his line of work it will be a liability for him to hide any hazards from anyone who steps foot in the structure. I felt good about his statement because the company is from Mt Vernon so you know how things operate there. My original thought was that this is another smoke screen but after his statement I felt different. The union has learned that the report is complete. Where is it? If there is any hazards to our members? the people in charge of the dept should make a split decision and get us the hell out of there if the place is not safe! I do not know how the report came out but if the hints during the walk through were any indication of what might come out on paper its time to get the tents out! I am sure that this will be an issue this week because we will not occupy the building if it is not safe. I trust our leaders will do the right thing asap and get us out of there if any question comes up about our safety. Its a shame that we are in this situation. If the roof was fixed 6 yrs ago the city might not be in this predicament where the structure might have to be gutted or razed. After reading alot about this issue that happens all over the outcome usually isn't good. NEGLECT- IS THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM AND SOMEONE SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE! Lets see what goes on this week.Are they gonna hide the report like other problems they hide in this dept.? I don't think so. B safe- jjc

Not sure on the timing, on another note-GOOGLE '' mold in firehouses" alot of information which may apply to all of us both in the firehouses and in our own homes.

Hudson, good luck with the on-going battle. Although I left MV over 24 yrs ago, I keep track of whats going on and you and the other members of the department deserve so much better than what you have been receiving from the present administration. Its so sad to read and hear of the degradation of a great department. I wish you and all the others the best of luck

Its official-union reps from local 107 have been advised that work needs to be done to fire HQ and that the dept. is looking into getting trailers to house the staff,fire prevention and the working crews. And it all started from a drip!!!

post-103-1194958987.jpg Those buildings look ok to me! They just want me to lose the election,hey is the election over yet? DID I WIN? DID I WIN? DID I WIN? DID I WIN? DID I WIN? DID I WIN? Edited by hudson144

Sounds like a press release tomorrow about the terrible conditions of the firehouses,not sure where,when,why-wait we all know why! cya tomorrow!

word on the street is lincoln ave is going to be closed with firefighters in trailers. Anybody have info please post.

I had heard that Chief Everett and the Local 107 President went to NJ today to look at trailers. There was supposed to be a press conference about it today or tommorow. It's a shame, and I truly, truly hope that these trailers are only TEMPORARY!!!

At the speed Mount Vernon moves, those trailers may be there a long time unless the new Mayor has some magical power to move everything quickly.

Wow, a definate shame, but no suprise coming from the Vern. Jod, i just read your original post and the responses, what a disgrace! There is no reason that you and your fellow brothers at FDMV should have to work in those conditions!

Glad to hear the union is stepping up, but lets hope the City moves quickly to resolve this. Career Fire personnel having to work out of trailers...whats next? As others have stated, its just been one thing after the other in MV. By the grace of God, lets hope the new Mayor actually gives a crap about you guys and tries to do the right thing, but i dont know how promising that looks either.

Its quite apparent how little the City cares about the FD that is sworn to protect them. Staffing & equipment issues, all the B.S. with promotions and hiring, now this crap? Absolutely ridiculous!

Not to start a vol. vs paid war, but...take a look at some of the vol. houses around the region. There are many that cost multi-millions to build and have insane ammenities in them. To each their own and great for those depts, but come on! You have Career depts. with manpower that have to live in their firehouses around the clock and look at the conditions that they have to live in! I know money is always an issue, and it certainly has been in MV. But maybe they should look harder to cut expenses elsewhere to increase the money being put into emergency services.

Anyway, my rant is over, just thought id throw my 2 cents in, not that anyone cares lol.

To hudson and the rest of the FDMV, hang in there, keep fighting and lets hope things get better for you guys!

Thanks for all the supprt out here, when you drive by just look for all the pickups parked on the grass, and nobody better make fun of our lawn furniture.

The funny part is the bosses think their fixing things they forget they created this mess.

The reason for the trailers is funny too, they dont want to take a truck from the northeast side of town, but closing a west engine company is ok, and closing a south side truck company was to.

I guess these people dont count as much.

They can make a agruement for a truck with all the OMD"s there but it only goes so far. Station 2 would make more sense and most likely only add about 1:00 min. more on our response time in that area.

But what does my small mind know.

I guess Im gonna find out what its like living after Katrina,

Jim Loftus

Ladder 2

Edited by jloftus