Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Mount Vernon Firehouses Are A Mess!

60 posts in this topic

I THINK THAT i WOULD BE MORE COMFORTABLE IN A HOUSEBOAT! Here is the plan:

3 mobile homes will be placed on the HQ property at 470 E Licoln ave, 1 for the crews (E6/TRK2)

1 for fire prevention & secretaries, 1 for chief,commish n dep commish. something like that.

It sounds as if this is going to happen asap,for them to act as quick as they are I feel that the report that came back friday that I reviewed today must have some merit or some serious eye raising facts. We were told today that there is "NO REAL HAZARDS'' to be concerned about? I'm sorry but as far as i'm concerned I'm out of there! When you read all of the info out there about mold/mildew/dust etc. I find it hard to believe that "NO REAL HAZARDS" placard should be on the front door of HQ. This sounds like a total gutt job that will take some time, when they start opening up the walls who knows what is going to be found. Anything can happen now, opening a can of worms might apply here. Overall if they do what they say they want to do fire HQ should be nice when complete. 9 months to a year was mentioned as the time frame and as soon as possible to get the members out and into the trailers. only time will tell now!

THE HAZARDS OF MOBILE HOME FIRES- FIRE ENGINEERING MAGAZINEFire_Engineering___MOBILE_HOME_FIRES__PART_1_PROBLEMS_AND_PREFIRE_PLANNING.htm

:o CHANNEL 12 JUST HAD COVERAGE ON THE SITUATION AND WHAT A SMOKE SCREEN IT WAS! COME ON NICK-7 DAYS A WEEK? THAT WAS A GOOD ONE!!! THIS IS CRAZY,YES FINALLY THEY ARE TRYING TO DO THE RIGHT THING BUT DAMAGE CONTROL IS TOO LATE! THE ROOF LEAKED FOR OVER 5 YEARS AND NOW ITS A PRIORITY? IF IT WASN'T FOR THE GUYS BITCHING RECENTLY THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE. THIS IS GETTING FUNNIER BY THE MINUTE! NEXT THEY WILL BE BLAMING THE FBI FOR THE HOLES IN THE ROOF!

IMAGINE- A TRAILER HOME WITH A SIGN ON IT SAYING "FIRE PREVENTION''

Edited by hudson144

If history repeats itself, then the F.D. will get a new building and the ambulance will be moved into the condemed building.

Does anyone remember South Fourth????

We have a lot of them down here in Florida they keep the Apparatus under a big RV port and the crew in a trailer/mobile home. But here they do it because they are building a new house and need coverage till then not because the old house was inhabitable. The space is definitely cramped I think the kitchen will be the hardest thing to adjust to. No huge 8 burner stove and oven most likely a standard range. Its better then sleeping in a place that can kill you though.

Good luck guys maybe this will workout in the end. They should be putting Ladder 2 at Sta.4 to cover the north end of the city.

But who care what I think.

Good luck Jodi, Jimmy, And the rest of you guys.

If history repeats itself, then the F.D. will get a new building and the ambulance will be moved into the condemed building.

Does anyone remember South Fourth????

I sure do - response times were great back then 'cause you heard the shots fired around the corner and were waiting in the rig for the job to come over. Sometimes the victim just knocked on the door instead of calling 911, too.

It does seem like history is repeating itself... firehouse closes, EMS moves into trailers in the FD parking lot (ironically) (after living at the ER for a while)...

Now, firehouse closes, FF moves into trailers...

What's next???

Its a shame that the brothers there have to work like this. The higher ups should be ashamed of themselves to let this happen.

Good luck brothers

Im not sure that a ladder could fit at station 4 although Ladder 2 is relatively small. The turn to get out of the bay to Oak street is tight too. Jodi or Loftus would know if it could fit or not.

Thank God the Fire commissioner came through and saved the day! If it wasn't for him i don't know what they would have done!

I sure do - response times were great back then 'cause you heard the shots fired around the corner and were waiting in the rig for the job to come over. Sometimes the victim just knocked on the door instead of calling 911, too.

It does seem like history is repeating itself... firehouse closes, EMS moves into trailers in the FD parking lot (ironically) (after living at the ER for a while)...

Now, firehouse closes, FF moves into trailers...

What's next???

I heard many a good story about the EMS crews in those trailers...shots fired??? HAHAHA!

"AIR AND SURFACE SAMPLING HAS IDENTIFIED "UNACCEPTABLE" LEVELS OF MOLD AND BACTERIA ON THE 1ST AND 2ND FLOORS AND IN THE BASEMENT,

tHIS WAS FROM THE REPORT OF THE TESTING DONE RECENTLY ON FIRE HEADQUARTERS .AGAIN A QUOTE '' there is no immediate health hazard''.

:unsure:

I heard many a good story about the EMS crews in those trailers...shots fired??? HAHAHA!

Are you talking about shots fired FROM the trailers or simply heard in the trailers... cause I'm not sure that the statute of limitations has expired on those stories!!! :lol:

I am only kidding - there were no shots fired by EMS workers or Hooters girls at the EMS trailer in Mt Vernon.

Are you talking about shots fired FROM the trailers or simply heard in the trailers... cause I'm not sure that the statute of limitations has expired on those stories!!! :lol:

I am only kidding - there were no shots fired by EMS workers or Hooters girls at the EMS trailer in Mt Vernon.

Maybe no shots were fired in or from the trailers, now the South Fourth fire house is another situation all together. And lets not forget the transport rig making the murder burgers pick up from White Castle on Bruckner Blvd @ 3 AM. On their way back from NYC via Hunts Point.

Im not sure that a ladder could fit at station 4 although Ladder 2 is relatively small. The turn to get out of the bay to Oak street is tight too. Jodi or Loftus would know if it could fit or not.

Hi Scott how are ya??

Yea it will fit , they had me try it a couple days ago. turns out were tricky but its possible, the real solution would be station 2, 45-60 seconds more to get where we need to be. Plus the room to work like a human being. Take care

Jim

Jimmy, you guys weren't around then but when Truck 2 was an old Seagrave tiller convertable in was on Oak St. Came close to hitting the telephone pole across the street many times when coming out but it fit.

There was a Joe Pesci movie some years ago called "The Landlord" where the owner of broken down building was made to move in. Maybe if the powers in City Hall were made to live in the firehouse things would have happened faster. Maybe they should run the city out of a trailer. See how fast things would get fixed.

Great comparrison, whats really scarry, a couple of the people that could have made a difference, work there!!!!!

All our members want is a positive work place, and our topics on this forum to be is, How FDMV is a top professional department, we have without a doubt some of the BEST

firefighters in this county. No offense to others but thats the mindset we need to have.

Jim Loftus

Ladder 2

The Commish came in with good intentions till he found out quickly he did not run the show. I remember his 1st meeting with the men when he started he said word for word " The 1st thing I want to do is bring the morale up in the Dept." I never forget that.

Is there an update on this situation? Have the trailers been set up and moved into yet?

Trailers will be up and running next week. You can check them out at www.fdmv.net under the tab that says trailers

Is there an update on this situation? Have the trailers been set up and moved into yet?

The trailers are in, 3 of them in fact. Hats off to all involved to help rectify a long and overdue problem. 1 down 3 to go! In other words lets do the "RIGHT THING" for the other brothers located at stations 2,3 and 4. Clean em up n fix em up.

So, am I correct that the first trailer park in Mount Vernon history has been established at FDMV HQ's??? I got this photo today, and was dissapointed because I though the trailers would be nicer and laid out better....they can't spend a little extra for a double or triple wide instead of having three trailers?

I assume one for E-6, one for T-2, and one for the Deputy?

post-11-1198023579.jpg

Supposedly, it's one for Staff, one for Fire Prevention and one for the men(6). I think I'd rather take my chances with the mold and rodents! :blink:

it is what it is,good luck with them guys and be safe,hopefully you won'thave to be in them too long!

Honestly, those look like three of the nicest buildings in Mount Vernon!!!!

:P

I'd like to know from the FDMV guys how things are going down there with the trailers. Where I am - Bridgeport, CT., they are in the process of doing the same thing because of a firestation that has been neglected for far too long.

First they tried to relocate the 2 companies to another station about 1.5 miles away during "repairs", and without fail, there was a multi fatal fire behind the now abandoned/under repair firehouse.

The admin's answer is to put in a trailer in the back parking lot, and use one bay for the engine, while the truck stays at the relocated house.

Thanks

Nick

So, am I correct that the first trailer park in Mount Vernon history has been established at FDMV HQ's???

It may not have been a trailer "park" but back in the "day" Mt Vernon EMS lived in a trailer next to FD Station #3, complete with bullet holes from the projects and no running water. Sta #3 allowed us to use there bathroom.

Rumor has it Mayor Davis would not sign off to allow the Company doing the disinfecting to begin their work, so the guys are still in the Station at the present time. Just another one of his childish antics to irk FDMV members. Maybe now that he's finally gone, work will begin soon. There really is a GOD!

I have a couple of questions about the fitment of the trailers, if anyone can help. Because we are trying to ensure that this stuff happens for us in Bpt.

Did/Will the city equip the trailers so that :

The trip lights come on when an alarm comes in

Are you going to have a talk alarm, or an open radio to receive alarms? Teletype?

Will you have emergency back up power in the event of power failure

Are the trailers and hookups weatherproof?

How will you access your apparatus?

Any help would be appreciated.