Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Firefighters encounter faulty hydrants during Tarrytown blaze

21 posts in this topic

Does this mean that the Village of Tarrytown is going to have the pay the home owners $1.7million because of faulty hydrants? I guess they will have to see when the Water Dept of TT did their last checks. Sounds like no matter what the house was going to be a loss. But water 30 min earlier would have made a difference.

Firefighters encounter faulty hydrants during Tarrytown blaze

By THERESA JUVA

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 25, 2007)

TARRYTOWN - A fire ripped through a home on Cobb Lane yesterday morning, as faulty and empty fire hydrants on the road prevented firefighters from immediately attacking it, officials said.

Greg Hull, who lives down the road from 119 Cobb Lane, said he detected a "chemical smell" near the home around 8:30 a.m. and called police.

By the time the Tarrytown Fire Department arrived, the second floor and attic were already engulfed, said Fire Chief Dominick Morabito.

Firefighters found that the hydrant on the road next to the home was dry, and three others on the road were also malfunctioning, he said. They had to use water from the trucks to extinguish the flames while firefighters rushed to hook up hoses to hydrants on North Broadway - about a quarter-mile away - and in nearby Wilson Park.

A thick yellow hose was snaked down the narrow and mountainous road and pulled across North Broadway, where it was attached to a hydrant, causing police to close the street and divert traffic for several hours yesterday.

Working hydrants on Cobb Lane "would have made our job easier to start attacking (the fire)," Morabito said, adding that it took firefighters 30 minutes to access the less-convenient hydrants. At least two hydrants on Cobb Lane were dormant yesterday, a reporter observed.

Just after 10:30 and shortly after 11 a.m., fire re-emerged with flames licking through the roof and leaving charred holes before firefighters brought it under control around noon.

A deep slope in the home's backyard prevented fire crews from reaching the back of the home to dump water on the fire. The way the house was built kept the flames inside the walls and ceilings, making it difficult for firefighters to pinpoint the source of the flare-ups, Morabito said.

Dozens of frightened and angry neighbors lined the street as 60 firefighters from Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow and Irvington worked to douse the fire, which burned about three-quarters of the home.

Sophia Alonzo has lived on Cobb Lane for almost 30 years and was outraged when firefighters told her the road's fire hydrants weren't working.

"If the wind was blowing, other houses could have caught fire," she said. "It's scary." She added that a strong wind combined with the large piles of dry leaves surrounding people's homes could have made the fire worse.

Developers have been eyeing land nearby for a dozen or so new homes, but the problem with the hydrants has proven the area can't handle more development, neighbors said.

"It's unsettling, and it should be a wake-up call," said nearby resident Brian Kelly. "What is scary on top of this is they want to build more homes on the top of the hill. There's no provision for a system. We're sitting ducks."

Neighbors expressed sympathy for the homeowners, Deborah and Stuart Blumin, who were vacationing in Florida for the holiday weekend when the fire broke out.

The Blumins bought the home in July 2005 for $1.7 million, according to real estate records, and had just finished remodeling it, neighbors said.

Stuart Blumin is a history professor at Cornell University and his wife works as real estate agent, neighbors said, noting that the couple also own a home in Ithaca.

Drew Fixell, Tarrytown's mayor, was also on the scene yesterday. He said the village's water department is responsible for checking the hydrants annually.

"It's definitely not a good situation to not have water," he said. "It has to be investigated."

Morabito said the fire's cause had not been determined, adding that the village is in charge of the hydrants.

"Everyone thinks about fire," said longtime neighborhood resident Patty Fisher, "but it never occurred to me that there wouldn't be water in the hydrants."

Hackley School encountered hydrant issues as well- was that determined to be the Tarrytown water system or Hackley's private system?

If this hydrant issue is widespread, I wonder if Tarrytown FD (if they had the space) would consider short term leasing a Tanker until this problem can resolved and all hydrants flow tested?

The positive out of the incident was that once they realized the issue they went and found water. I'm not so sure leasing a tanker is so much the answer as it is understanding your water system and understanding that these things do happen and even more critically why.

I hope that at least they will be able to work with the water department to get the hydrants flow tested and colored by NFPA standards. Doesn't mean that at anytime you could have a hydrant issue. I know of a municipality who gets decent amounts of fire that occassionally has hydrant issues. It isn't something new, yet for whatever reasons the hydrants still are not flow tested and labeled accordingly.

Cobb Lane was once a private street at that point so maybe they were private hydrants. maybe the 2 inch line might have something to do with it also.

We love to develop build bigger and better but sometimes we forget he little things llike can the water line handle the water flow .I understand TFD did a great job once the water issue was resolved.

No need to lease a tanker. Until the system is proven to work, just adjust the pre-fire plan to lay in from a known water source.

The Hackley fire hydrants were Hackley's private pumps which failed several hours into the blaze.

From what I was told Cobb Lane is a 4 inch main. Also at one point, some one ran over the 5 inch Sleepy Hollow was supplying up hill and the operation needed to be halted while a new link of hose was reconnected.

ny10570, from what I have been told, until further notice, if we are to respond on any working fires on Cobb Ln, Hillside Ave, and Windle Park we are to stretch in from Route 9 up the hill.

Also, pictures are on Tarrytown FD

Edited by DOC22

first of all i want to thank firecapt32 for his kind words about the cobb ln fire. i thought we the tfd shfd

and all other mutual aid that we received that day.thank you !!!.

and for firecapt32. thank you cousin walter ?

if you read the actual Journal News article... read the comments on the bottom. Talk about "suing the FD" and "Tuckahoe FD checks hydrants as WELL as the water dept... there's a lot of downtime in FF'ing so they should do it in tarrytown too.

You know, sometimes the communities we live in REALLY disgust me. (more often than not)

I'm not sure where you live mike but ion most towns the hiway or water departments test the hydrants--not the FD's. It sounds like your upset with things. Lose of water is a common problem we adapt and overcome in the fire service and thats what Tarrytown FD did-found a alternative source for water. I there a water problem in Tarrytown ?? I am sure the Village Officials are addressing the issue today.

On the subjects of hydrants and with winter approaching do any of your departments assist the water dept with shoveling snow if requested? We have in the past and have drawn criticism from certain members of our dept who feel it is not our job. I feel if you have a bad snow storm and the hydrants are covered do you want to be searching for a hydrant when you really need the water?

A fire hydrant is just another piece of equipment just like hoses, axes, haligan tools, etc. Engine companies should routinely check the hydrants as a part of training so the firefighters can practice hitting the hydrants, knowing the locations of hydrants, checking that they work, etc. If a hydrant is in your jurisdiction, you should know where it is and practice with it.

On the subjects of hydrants and with winter approaching do any of your departments assist the water dept with shoveling snow if requested?

Often yes...but with some tongue in cheek frustration when you can't get your own ramp to your fire station plowed. Or the fact that every ounce of snow is removed from downtown. Bottom line is this...use the municiple code to fine those whom are responsible for digging out the hydrant this is IFO their property. We talk about liability...what if you pick and choose hydrants to dig out and not others and one of the ones you don't dig out is one you need later?

Failed fire hydrants privately owned, Tarrytown says

By GERALD MCKINSTRY

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 27, 2007)

TARRYTOWN - Fire hydrants that failed during a Cobb Lane fire were not the village's responsibility because they were on private property, officials said yesterday.

Full Story: http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...328/1018/NEWS02

From the Journal News:

TARRYTOWN - Aftermath of Cobb Lane fire to be discussed tonight at special board meeting

By GERALD MCKINSTRY

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 27, 2007)

TARRYTOWN - The Board of Trustees is holding a special meeting to discuss the aftermath of the Cobbs Lane fire

Full Story: http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS02/711270410

I was given the impression that each company inTFD woul be assigned a certine number of hydrants to check and make sure there was adaquate water flowing in them.

I always thought that was the job of the water dept.

That article is wrong. I am a Lt in Tarrytown and i used to work for the DPW. It is the water departments job to test and maintain all hydrants in the village

You are correct trollman but under these cercumstances--to ease the publics minds about the water situation in Tarrytown. it is probely better and faster to use the FD to help the village in this matter. village residents need to be assured that the fire hydrants by their homes are working and working properly. The only way to do this in a efficent manner is to have the help of TFD. that way everyone can share in the knowledge that all hydrants are in working order.

FYI in front of 330 south Broadway there is a fire hydrant. it has been there for many years, on thursday last week on my way downtown, on the hydrant was a collar that stated OUT OF SERVICE. today I saw some workers attending the hydrant anad digging up the area, So I know some work is being done.

I was there that day. First I feel that all fire departments and their crews did a great job considering that water pressure issue, the road being narrow, a hell of a walk from route 9 to the house on fire. If the road is privite, and the hydrants are private then it's the home owners or homeowner association to follow up on the water supply system. Plus when I purchased my home in Tarrytown my Title company and insrance company checked wher the locations are of hydrants. Since these homeowners just purchased this home not to long ago I would think they must have known that the hydrants are private. If they had the money for a 1.2 or1.7 millon dollar home plus 100 of thousands of dollars of renivations don't you think they should find out if the hydrant right in front of there house is working. Plus its painted red. Where was their Title Company or insurance company. Don't blame the Village or the FIRE DEPARTMENT about the hydrants or water pressure. Blame the homeowners on Cobb Lane for not addressing the situation. I feel bad for the homeowners, but when they sue the village or the fire department thats really going to stink. Good Job Tarrytown F.D You guys did a hell of a job with what you had. The main thing is nobody got hurt or killed.

Edited by DOC22