Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfmuller

Rombout (Dutchess) - Serious Accident - 12/5/07

38 posts in this topic

Date: 12/5/07

Time: 13:59 ongoing

Location: 70 Route 9 in front of Cransville Block (near Putnam Cty line)

Frequency: DC911 (Disp 453.900 (114.8), Cmd 453.800(114.8), FG5 453.050(114.8)), Rombout 19 462.125 (114.8), Putnam County 46.380

Units Operating: Rombout: Cmd 62-1, 62-12 Engine, 62-55 Rescue, 62-11 Engine, 62-62 Utility, Alamo, Mobile Life, North Highlands

Description Of Incident: MVA involving car v. 2 tractor trailers, PD on scene reports double ejection

Writer: 129k, jfmuller, SPFC56-233

13:59 First Dispatch for Rombout and Alamo, Priority 1, for two tractor trailer's with a rollover vs a car, units use caution sand in the roadway, 70 Route 9 in front of Cransville Block.

14:00 Alamo 23 Responding

14:01 62-55, 62-12 responding

14:02 Cmd requesting an additional two ALS Ambulances

14:04 Dispatch Alamo and Mobile Life

14:05 Cmd reporting Rt9 Closed, requesting North Highlands (Putnam County) to close Route 9 North, South of Dutchess line.

14:05 Mobile Life 267 responding

14:06 Alamo 23 reporting 1 in Traumatic arrest

14:07 DC911 to Cmd, PD on scene requesting Helicopter, Cmd Reports Negative on need of Helicopter

14:09 MobileLife 267 on scene

14:09 Cmd cancel 1 of the additional Ambulance's

14:13 DC911 Dispatch Fire Police to Southern Entrance of Dutchess Mall for shutting down Route 9 Southbound.

15:17 Medical Examiner on scene

16:09 TFPD Base 6, DOT enroute for cleanup

Edited by jfmuller

14:07 DC911 to Cmd, PD on scene requesting Helicopter, Cmd Reports Negative on need of Helicopter

interesting that PD were the ones requesting the helicopter

1 Traumatic arrest reported by Alamo 23

I just left the scene..... Check back later this evening for some images that will shed some light on the radio traffic...... Bill

State Police Dispatch over the air, stated double fatal, shut-down Rt. 9 both sides , Truck Div. enroute from Brewster.

16:17 Medical Examiner on scene

I've been on a handful of fatal accidents and Accident Investigation were the only ones called for a possible fatal or confirmed fatal, was that why the ME was on scene or was that for a different reason? Never seen that before.

I've been on a handful of fatal accidents and Accident Investigation were the only ones called for a possible fatal or confirmed fatal, was that why the ME was on scene or was that for a different reason? Never seen that before.

There was a fatality at the scene and as far as I know, the deceased can't be removed from the scene until the ME comes and say the the person is in-fact, deceased........ It's the law.... I believe it is in part due to the fact that the ME will be involved in the accident investigation (Autopsy) and this way they can see the conditions under which the person expired..... I'm sure that there are Medics or PD here that can confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong.....

There was a fatality at the scene and as far as I know, the deceased can't be removed from the scene until the ME comes and say the the person is in-fact, deceased........ It's the law.... I believe it is in part due to the fact that the ME will be involved in the accident investigation (Autopsy) and this way they can see the conditions under which the person expired..... I'm sure that there are Medics or PD here that can confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong.....

Stop typing and start uploading some pics, sir!

Stop typing and start uploading some pics, sir!

I wouldn't expect any pictures anytime soon, as the seriousness should allow for family notification, etc.. wouldn't be right to post them.

Poughkeepsie Journal has little information.

Journal News has more:

Fatal crash closes Route 9 north of Route 301

By TERENCE CORCORAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 5, 2007)

PHILIPSTOWN - Police were not allowing any northbound traffic on Route 9 to go past Route 301 late yesterday afternoon after a fatal accident on the road north of there in Fishkill.

Cars were being diverted either to Route 9D or to eastbound Interstate 84. The crash occurred at about 2:15 p.m. near Clove Road and involved a large dump truck carrying stone and a Utz potato chip delivery truck.

One of the drivers was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie while the other was reportedly killed although police on the scene would not confirm that.

Firefighters from the Rombout Fire Department in Fishkill responded, along with state police.

The Taconic State Parkway, which like Route 9 runs north/south, is another alternate route for drivers.

Their are a few pictures on the journal news site in the daily photos area..

Their are a few pictures on the journal news site in the daily photos area..

Yes there are and HOLY (insert word we cant say here!)!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to Rombout for sounding so professional on the radio!

I saw the local news report on Newscenter 6 (Cablevision Ch. 18) with video of the scene.

Amazingly terrible accident. PD was walking through the scene, and lifted up a white blood soaked sheet (shown on TV mind you) to observe the body below. The body was in the middle of the debris field, in the middle of the roadway. Possibly thrown from the vehicle upon impact.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

WOW Just saw the photo's on the Journal News site, That was some wreck!

Where are these pictures? I can't seem to find anything.

Here's some photo's of the incident....... I don't like photographing AA's but they are part of what we do as firefighters and as an Emergency Services Photographer, it's what I feel I need to do and they are appropriate for this forum..... They are the bad and the ugly out of the good, bad, and the ugly......... I also strive to take photo's that don't invade the privacy of the injured or deceased and I think these will show that....... And yes, Rombout did handle this incident in a professional manner..... Not only on the radio, but on the scene as well....... Which with a scene this graphic, was not an easy thing to do......... Good job guys.......

229189866-XL.jpg

A wide shot from the north side of the accident.....

229188890-XL.jpg

A wide shot from the south side of the accident.....

229197371-XL.jpg

This step van's entire front end was missing and its contents littered the roadway.....

229188880-XL.jpg

The damage to both vehicles was severe and there was debris everywhere.....

229188172-XL.jpg

Knowing that this was going to be a long term operation, Rombout Chief John Lucariello makes some notifications as he stands among the debris from the accident.....

Anyone with link of Journal Photos?

229188512-XL.jpg

The other vehicle involved.......

229215605-XL.jpg

The step van literally peeled apart......

229189279-XL.jpg

The Town of Fishkill Police begin their investigation..... They would receive assistance from both the Dutchess County Sheriffs Department and New York State Police Accident Investigation Units.......

229190055-XL.jpg

An accident investigator from the DCSO looks over the dump truck........

229190194-XL.jpg

Their job is done for now...... Rombout firefighters had to wait to stabilize the scene and clean up fluids until the investigators completed their work...... Rte 9 remained closed until approx 8:30 pm.......

"They are pretty small and not as good as our esteemed Photography unit here on EMTBravo." :P ........Thanks.......

"They are pretty small and not as good as our esteemed Photography unit here on EMTBravo." :P ........Thanks.......

;)

Speaking of which, did you get my PM Bill???

i thought i heard that there was a car involved also? if so where is it?

Bill, once again, a job well done! This is a tragic AND graphic accident, Thanks for sharing the true magnitude of this. The Lohud pix are ok but yours are a lot better. I really need to hook up with you and get some pointers.

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Police: Orange County man died in Route 9 crash

By Michael Valkys

Poughkeepsie Journal

FISHKILL - Town police this morning released the name of the truck driver killed Wednesday afternoon in a head-on collision on Route 9 near the Putnam County border.

Chief Donald Williams identified the victim as John Lachat, 32, of Greenwood Lake in Orange County.

Lachat was driving an Utz snack foods box truck which collided with a large dump truck hauling stone.

Lachat was pronounced dead at the scene.

The dump truck driver was identified as Julio E. Roman, 44, of the Bronx.

Williams said Roman remains hospitalized today in Saint Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie with non-life-threatening injuries.

Williams said an initial investigation revealed the accident occurred when Lachat's vehicle crossed over the highway's double yellow line and collided with Roman's truck.

The accident closed the highway for more than six hours as workers removed debris that had scattered across the road from both vehicles.

No charges have been filed, and drugs and alcohol are not believed to have played a part in the crash, Williams said.

An autopsy on Lachat is to be performed today, Williams said.

Police said the investigation is continuing, with deputies from the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office performing an accident reconstruction.

The two vehicles collided near Interstate 84, about a quarter-mile north of the Putnam County border.

Thanks for sharing Bill but I'm wondering if that part of a vehicle was part of a car or not.ure looks itto me .Can anyone that was there clarify it?

Thanks

i heard from a tow operator that there were only 2 vehicles. the piece you see behind the dump truck in the pictures looks like the windshield and part of the front end of the Utz truck. sucks that this had to happen and so close to xmas.

sucks that this had to happen and so close to xmas.

Very true.

Anyone know if this man had a family?

Very true.

Anyone know if this man had a family?

Sometimes it's easier on us to not know........... ;)

"Anyone know if this man had a family?"

I heard from a good source whom I will not say but the family was at the scene this afternoon