Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Stamford Fire-Rescue Visibilty "Dots"

15 posts in this topic

When this unit was a demo before being purchased by Stamford Fire-Rescue, I saw it at the New England Chief's Confernce this past June. It was also demo'ing these reflective "dots", which fit easily into diamond plate without comprimising the tread, or into other locations. Many departments are placing chevrons on the rear of apparatus, these "dots" are a different take on the traditional way of doing it. Also seem very easy to apply. I wish I remembered the company's name or website.

Here are some photos I got:

post-11-1197153028.jpg

post-11-1197153040.jpg

I think the dots are a great idea to add visibility and retrofit your diamond plate with chevrons. From the other pictures on the link that huzzie posted they seem to work well on the diamond plate. I'm not sure I would put dots on a flat surface, I think the full strip might be a better alternative.

Some colors look better than others from the pictures in the link, but thats a whole other issue.

I hope they have a good way of putting all those dots on. I'd hate to be the one to sit there and place each dot at a time

Thats a pretty cool idea, it sure does cut down on the surface area you have to polish during inspection season....

Since "Fire" is the one area I have little technical knowledge, this new E6 to me looks like a Ladder truck, am I wrong?

tHE GUY WHO PUT THESE DOTS ON E 6 GOT $.99 PER DOT. HE IS ALSO NOW COMPLETELY BLIND, AND LIVING IN A PADDED ROOM WITH A BIB AND DROOL CUP. LOL JUST KIDDING. IT DOES LOOK SHARP. ALSO THE REASON IT HAS A LADDER IS BECAUSE IT IS A "QUINT"

For a dollar a dot I would do it. They do look cool though, but are they still as effective as the normal chevron striping?

Since "Fire" is the one area I have little technical knowledge, this new E6 to me looks like a Ladder truck, am I wrong?

You are right it is a ladder truck

Its technical term is Quint Fire Apparatus as stated above...

A "Quint" has a pump and tank like a standard engine but also have the areial of the ladder

The term quint means quintessentail fire truck or quintupile combination pumper because it had:

1. Hose

2. Booster Tank

3. Pump

4. Ground Ladders

5. Ground Ladders

The quint is a cheap alternative to a dedicated areial and a dedicated pumper because it combines both aspects with varying degrees of effectiveness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quint_(fire_apparatus)

Edited by bvfdjc316

1. Hose

2. Booster Tank

3. Pump

4. Ground Ladders

5. Ground Ladders

oh, double the ground ladders eh ;)

The term quint means quintessentail fire truck or quintupile combination pumper because it had:

1. Hose

2. Booster Tank

3. Pump

4. Ground Ladders

5. Ground Ladders

oh, double the ground ladders eh ;)

Haha, yea, pretty sure that last one is "aerial device".

According to their website SceneDots pricing, the price is $12.00 for a sheet of 56. The link gives instructions on how to calculate how many you need.

Quint means 5 uses! Hence the word quint!

If it had 4 uses it would be a Quad which we used to have a few of in Westchester County!

As for the Dots, they are nice but I would not be the one adhering them! That job must suck. You can just use straight reflective stripes over the vertical diamond plate just as well! The diamond plate is used for grip, but when it is vertical it is just a decoration, unless you can defy gravity and then you wouldn't be worried about traction!

As far as the Modus Operandi of E6, I think it was designed the way it was to serve in any capacity it needs to in case SFRD is put in another Stamford Volunteer station. Am I wrong PJ?

I like the dots though, I was teaching in West Haven a month ago and they had members installing the dots on their Pierce Aerial. It looked relatively easy to do, but mind-numbing at the same time.

I will say this though...Norwalk's T-1 is a pumper with a ladder on it, and honestly, the truck does neither function well, it is junk and most of us can't wait til it is replaced (with a REAL ladder truck). For a while, our AC of Operations had us using T-3 (Reserve), which is a 1985 Sutphen 100' Aerial Tower in place of T-1, but I think T-3 is going out soon to get enclosed and painted RED, so we have the "quint" back.

I included photos of each.

post-4500-1197247699.jpg

post-4500-1197247724.jpg

West Haven, CT Center District Engine 24 has also implemented the "dots" for increased visibility on I-95. I'll try to find a picture to post.