Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Alamo/Northern Dutchess Paramedics To Merge

40 posts in this topic

Ambulance companies announce plans for merger

Poughkeepsie Journal

Friday, December 14, 2007

Northern Dutchess Paramedics and Alamo EMS today filed a request for approval from the Hudson Valley EMS Council to merge the two organizations.

The application is the first step in the regulatory process in forming a new company, NDP.

If approved by the Hudson valley EMS Council, the application will be forwarded to the state Department of Health. The partnership will also need approval from the state Attorney General's Office.

Health Quest, Alamo's parent organization, and Northern Dutchess expect the merger to be finalized within the next six to twelve months.

I remember seeing what happened when Alamo absorbed Sloper-Willen. I can not envision too many positives here.

Well all what we have all known for a long time has been posted. Regarding Northern Dutchess Paramedics & Alamo. Note this is only a part of the letter. NDPs employees were right, they are the major owner. HMMM Interesting!

To: All Alamo and NDP Employees

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Health Quest

Ed Murray

President, Northern Dutchess Paramedics

Date: December 14, 2007

Re: Alamo and Northern Dutchess Paramedics Partnership

We are pleased to announce that our efforts to forge an affiliation that ensures continued success in delivering high-quality EMS services have been successful. Alamo and Northern Dutchess Paramedics will merge into a new EMS company that will be more efficient, stronger and more stable than the two individual organizations.

This new company will be a joint venture between Health Quest and the owners of Northern Dutchess Paramedics. Northern Dutchess Paramedics will be the majority owner of the new company, which will be known as NDP. We are excited about the direction of our new partnership, not only because of its business advantages, but because Health Quest and the owners of NDP share a common vision for the new organization:

Okay everyone let it rip

Its been happening for a while.....With Alamos presence in Dutchess and NDPs as long as the transition is as smooth as possible things should be on the up for both companies.

The application is the first step in the regulatory process in forming a new company, NDP.

Putting aside the fact that the Journal has the worst editing staff in the world, Does this Mean Alamo will become NDP?

Yes it has been happening for awhile although the admin at Alamo had not confirmed the BS. But this is EMS and we all get the word. As for what becomes what, dont know. Something else we all will have to wait and see. Plus it is a step on along road to get it all done

It'll be interesting to see what happens to all the Management people at Alamo. Last time it wasn't to "smooth" and those of us in the area remember it well. :lol:

Word around the sandbox says that they will be laying off all non essential peeps. Dont look to good if you are just starting. Oh and by the way it would also be nice to see a good working department like MLS take over EMS in the city.

Word around the sandbox says that they will be laying off all non essential peeps. Dont look to good if you are just starting. Oh and by the way it would also be nice to see a good working department like MLS take over EMS in the city.

I take personal contention with this comment and a few others previously posted. First and foremost what is the purpose or point of posting rumors about people potentially losing their jobs? You are talking about peoples livelihood here. THERE WILL BE NO LAYOFFS!!!!

Likewise, working primarily in the City of Poughkeepsie, i can tell you that the patient care is of the utmost. We do our very best for the City of Poughkeepsie residents and do our best to keep the Fire Department in service.

The fact of the matter is no company is perfect. Every one has it's can of worms, good eggs and bad eggs. There is no question that some have a lackluster legacy/history. But what pisses me off the most about some of what is written here is the total disregard for the average employee. The vast majority of us work very hard and are very good at what we do (that goes for every company). For those that have worked for some of the commercials in the area can attest to that, for those of you who have no first hand knowledge i suggest you do one of two things: 1) keep your mouths shut and fingers in neutral or 2) come out and get to know us. The patch on my shoulder does not speak to the kind of care provider or person i am.

Edited by Goose

I'm sure everyone will have jobs, as the population and call volumes in Dutchess County continue to rise. Also, with EMS attrition, there will be further openings.

This has happened at many other companies, it's reffered to as the "Velcro Patch" syndrom. Look at the Abbey Richmond employees who were bought out by Transcare, then by Metrocare, and then Transcare again. It really all works out in the end. Commercial EMS employees are always at the short end of the stick, and unfortunetly it's a dead end career in a lot of cases. Burnout is high, and everyone eventually moves on to something else. The Commercial agencies have EXCELLENT providers, but my next paragraph will highlight why I feel they are wasted working for a commercial service.

The fact of the matter is, that this issue highligts, is that EMS shouldn't be provided by commercial or quasi-commercial agencies. EMS should be a independent municipal service, or part of the FD when done right. This way, ALL employees who actually are working in EMS because they enjoy the job don't have to worry about job security. And, they would get civil service status, better benefits, and most importantly, a pension. And, instead of focusing on how to make more money, the agency can focus more on patient care issues, and leave all the complications that come with doing non-emergency transports to the privates. THIS is what translates into better EMS.

EMS agencies are all about the people who are out there everyday on the streets, wading through all this bull, and the EMS street personel need to be taken care of properly so they can provide even bettter consistent quality care then they already do. I shake my head every time I think of all the quality caregivers lost because of the workings of commercial agencies that many people have become complacent with. And complaceny kills.

One, albeit trivial, thing is that they're not going with a cooler name, like Health Quest EMS. That would signal a "fresh start", and it also sounds better to the public IMHO.

Well for one thing I hope being NDP is the majority that their mangagement can do a better job with the merger then Alamo did with the Sloper deal. Best of luck to all, I feel for the Sloper gang that came over to Alamo and now they are switching yet again.

Goose...you a little sensitive today brother? No one questioned patient care in any manner. No one can deny that Alamo didn't always do the right thing with units and definately not the brightest when it came to covering contractual requirements. I've seen and heard over the years many times where there were no buses in the city to cover calls. I've seen buses come fromt the city to cover an ALS call in Beacon and when I tried to work there P/T, I was sent to do wheelchair transports in an ambulance while being the last unit sitting in Wappingers.

Health Quest EMS? I dig the fresh start idea...but it really isn't a fresh start. Its kind of like a restaurant that the owner changes name. New name...new sign...same menu. IMHO the public cares less what the name is as long as they get service. I asked my neighbor if he knew the name of the ambulance service that covers our town and he didn't know. I don't think Northern Dutchess Paramedics is bad...just they aren't just Northern Dutchess now anymore. Then again, if they don't spread out and keep some of Alamo's old contracts they might just stay that way who knows.

If it wasn't for NY State laws...Dutchess is one of few counties that are in prime position to have a county based FD/EMS system implemented in a coordinated manner. Simliar to many systems with similiar demographics to Surburban Washington DC and Richmond, VA counties. Shame it would never happen.

Word around the sandbox says that they will be laying off all non essential peeps. Dont look to good if you are just starting. Oh and by the way it would also be nice to see a good working department like MLS take over EMS in the city

Ignore the building by Manor at Woodside, Alamo EMS runs EMS in the City of Pok.

Ignore the building by Manor at Woodside, Alamo EMS runs EMS in the City of Pok.

Alamo backs up CITY FIRE ;)

Alamo backs up CITY FIRE ;)

Really? Didn't realize that CITY FIRE transported patients to the hospital via ambulance.:rolleyes:

(As you already know) City 911 dispatches Alamo for calls in the city, and City Fire provides first response, backing up whatever ambulance responds to the call (whether it be Alamo....or another provider such as NDP, Fairview, Arlington, MLS, etc. if Alamo is out of units) ;)

Edited by emt301

Really? When was the last time CITY FIRE transported a patient by ambulance to the hospital ? :rolleyes:

City Fire DISPATCHES Alamo for calls in the city, and City Fire provides first response, backing up whatever ambulance responds to the call (whether it be Alamo, NDP, Fairview, Arlington, MLS, etc.), IMHO. ;)

Correct, City Fire dispatches Alamo and ends up with Arlington and Town of Wappinger responding! :blink:

Good luck Alamo and NDP, got some great people on the street, too bad the suits can't get anything together. Maybe NDP's management can use HQ's checkbook without their micromanaging.

Really? Didn't realize that CITY FIRE transported patients to the hospital via ambulance.:rolleyes:

(As you already know) City 911 dispatches Alamo for calls in the city, and City Fire provides first response, backing up whatever ambulance responds to the call (whether it be Alamo....or another provider such as NDP, Fairview, Arlington, MLS, etc. if Alamo is out of units) ;)

Yeah.......I was busting Casper's stones - hence why I quoted him. :ph34r:

Edited by x129K

ALS - Not sensitive, I'm just tired of people throwing out rumors that have to do with whether or not I or others have a job. First you've got people saying Alamo lost the City of Pok. then you've got others saying they are going to lay people off. I'm not in the business apologizing for what was or may have been the case at one point or another. All I'm saying is that for those of us on the street we do the best we can with what we have and its tough to come here and see some of the crap thats being thrown around, especially when you've got people who haven't been in our shoes making some of the more visceral comments. My comments are not concerning the company, but the people on the street.

Since the FD doing EMS thing was thrown out for discussion, I'd LOVE to see City Of Poughkeepsie FD sieze this oppurtunity, set an example and start a transporting EMS system. Even if they have to hire the former Alamo employees as to staff the ambulances as civil-service status EMT's and Paramedics.

HOWEVER, FIRST I'd rather see the Firefighters from the City of Poughkeepsie get paid a decent liveable wage, then the same exact thing for the EMT's and Paramedics (and the dispatchers too!) who are also saving lives in the City Of Poughkeepsie..

Since the FD doing EMS thing was thrown out for discussion, I'd LOVE to see City Of Poughkeepsie FD sieze this oppurtunity, set an example and start a transporting EMS system. Even if they have to hire the former Alamo employees as to staff the ambulances as civil-service status EMT's and Paramedics.

HOWEVER, FIRST I'd rather see the Firefighters from the City of Poughkeepsie get paid a decent liveable wage, then the same exact thing for the EMT's and Paramedics (and the dispatchers too!) who are also saving lives in the City Of Poughkeepsie..

Here here! Hell - they do that - I might even come out of EMS retirement! :lol:

Maybe we won't hear "Dutchess 911 to Rombout & Mobil Life respond under mutual aid to Alamo, no units available for....."

Although I'm sure Rombout thanks you for the dramatic increase in calls this year.

Good luck NDP, I'm gonna run out to Sam's club to get the owners of NDP a LARGE bottle of aspirin.

.....Although I'm sure Rombout thanks you for the dramatic increase in calls this year.

Alamo thanks "B-Vac" also. :P

Since the FD doing EMS thing was thrown out for discussion, I'd LOVE to see City Of Poughkeepsie FD sieze this oppurtunity, set an example and start a transporting EMS system.

Why "fix" something that isn't broken??

I would just like to say that I have worked for Ed and Rob at NDP for the last 3+ years and it has been nothing but a joy to work for them. They are the most down to earth people I know. Congrats to NDP and Alamo (HQ)...lets keep up the great work.

Bro...you are kidding right?

Goose I hear you bro...just seemed like you took some of the comments as questioning individual patient care. That wasn't the case at all.

Good luck to both NDP & Alamo with the merger. Hope it is all done properly, no one looses out on their jobs, and towns remain covered.

On a side note, at the request of the City of Pok FD, MLSS will have City 911 in the radios as of 1/1/08, and City 911 will have tones programed in the console for MLSS. Although Alamo will remain primary, with the opening of our new station on South Ave., it opens up the possibilities for a closer back up. I hope the management @ Alamo/NDP sees this and steps up their coverage in the city, it could only benefit them and the citizens of the city.

p.s. Anyone actually see the clip on the front page of the PoJo? The article was about Alamo & NDP, yet has a pic of a MLSS amb. Way to go PoJo.

Edited by 201/65

p.s. Anyone actually see the clip on the front page of the PoJo? The article was about Alamo & NDP, yet has a pic of a MLSS amb. Way to go PoJo.

I did and got a good chuckle from it.

Hey goose, we all know there are alot of great people that are employed by alamo, i know quite a few of them myself, and i have no doubts in their patient care skills, or compassion. The problem i have i the company itself, the suits, etc. that make not so bright decisions and make their great staff look bad. Hopefully this merger will help them get a few steps in the right direction. I will tell you this, I live in Rombout's district, and at the moment i always think about if something happens at my house, whether to call 911, or to call MLSS direct, or even pile my mother in the car and shoot over the town line into East Fishkill, in fear that alamo might not have a unit available, or they will try and yank one from god knows where to respond. Thats just MY honest Opinion. Hopefully sooner than later, i wont have to worry about it anymore.

Yea I saw it. The legendary PoJo editing strikes again.

After reading all the posts on here, it sounds like the majority of our "fellow brothers and sisters" have nothing to do but bash Alamo and its employees yet again. Alamo is just about dead now. So everyone in Rombout, City of Poughkeepsie, etc..., can now relax as a new management team takes over in the next year. As for us in the ambulances, hey, we just go where we are told. NONE of us like to hear "(enter name here)-in place of Alamo" Some of us are on edge to see what happens with benefits, vacation, pay, senority. I'm sure the Sloper employees would tell you the same thing when Alamo aquired them. I wish the new management team good luck and hopefully everything will come around and improve for the residents of the county.

After reading all the posts on here, it sounds like the majority of our "fellow brothers and sisters" have nothing to do but bash Alamo and its employees yet again. Alamo is just about dead now. So everyone in Rombout, City of Poughkeepsie, etc..., can now relax as a new management team takes over in the next year. As for us in the ambulances, hey, we just go where we are told. NONE of us like to hear "(enter name here)-in place of Alamo" Some of us are on edge to see what happens with benefits, vacation, pay, senority. I'm sure the Sloper employees would tell you the same thing when Alamo aquired them. I wish the new management team good luck and hopefully everything will come around and improve for the residents of the county.

Alot of US, used to work there too.... ;)

The only thing that changes are the faces.......