Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

Purchase FD And The College

23 posts in this topic

Is it me or it seems every time I put on Westchester to listen to I hear Purchase getting called to the college for an alarm. How many times do they run there? Does the college have their own fire safety group? Thanks be safe.

The only thing I know is that I can confirm they go there a lot!

I sure hope they get some sort of funding from the school, I doubt they get taxes, to compensate them for covering such a large life hazard.

Harrison EMS as well.

I'm sure one of our Purchase friends can fill us in.

I think that until last year, the security really didnt call them unless they were needed. Then all of a sudden something changed. I think it was a state policy changfe or something to that effect . Maybe a Purchase member can give us the exact reason for the change.

Along the same lines, the Yonkers FD does a ludicrous amount of calls to Sarah Lawrence College in the Bronxville section of the city. This facility has a number of buildings on different streets with a number of zones to their fire alarm system, that at 1 time was just way too confusing. IMO they should buy the city a fire apparatus every 10 years or so in order to keep the burden off the taxpayers that don't call nearly as much! Maybe Purchase should do the same???? I am sure these colleges have the money! BTW SLC is one of, if not, the highest costing colleges in the USA. I am sure Purchase, albeit a State U school is doing just fine!

Sarah Lawrence is not that bad when you compare it to some of other schools in the country. A SUNY Education is $4,350 for a New York State resident regardless of the schools location or prestige.

lets use some of the schools that I am applying to this year to SLC

SLC is $35,090 per year

Muhlenberg College in Allentown PA is $40,880 per year

Lehigh University in Bethleham PA is $46,960 per year

University of Rochester in Rochester is $44,980 per year

Its not that substatial of a difference (if you dont count the $10,000 difference)

However, the last three school mentioned provide and school funded first aid squad that has at least 1 BLS flycar and all of its many members at the EMT-B requirements for its respective state. They take much of the minor call burden off of the paid ALS services.

Does any college around here have a program like that?

Edited by bvfdjc316

However, the last three school mentioned provide and school funded first aid squad that has at least 1 BLS flycar and all of its many members at the EMT-B requirements for its respective state. They take much of the minor call burden off of the paid ALS services.

Does any college around here have a program like that?

Unless the college squad transports, they probably won't be easing the call load too much. Majority of colleges around here rely on taxpayer ambulances for intox, leg pain, etc.

Its 50/50 if a college will transport or not

Some do and some dont

it depends on if there is a hospital near campus and funds that the squad has

I know that almost every school I applied to has a first aid squad of some sort, the ones that dont will have no lobbying to start one if I go there.

The New York State law has been in place for a few years now, but it was never enforced by SUNY Purchase. SUNY PD would investigate all alarms (local and general) and if the FD was needed they were requested. Prior to October of '06, SUNY PD would respond to over 500 local alarms a year (single head activations). The problem with these local alarms is that they were set up as general (full evacuation and sounding throughout building). Once NYS OFPC got around to checking the amount of general alarms at SUNY compared to the number of FD responses, they recieved a stiff fine for each violation. Since then such names as Alumni Village, The Commons, Visual Arts, Childrens Center, Campus Center North, Campus Center South, PAC, Dining Hall, Fort Awesome, Outback, Far Side, Big Haus, Crossroads, Natural Science, and The Library have all been heard for commercial alarms. Very slowly the college is changing the alarm systems to the proper two head activation from the single head general alarms. The sensitivity of the heads are also something in question. Steam, cigarettes, weed, candles, burnt food and others have been able to activate the heads where other systems wouldnt even detect such nonsense. Something else to throw on the fire is the lack of heat detectors in the buildings. Smoke heads on top of stoves where heat detectors are well within the code. The entire system was never given much attention because the PD would investigate and it never effected the local FD. Currently system and heads are being addressed but as of today we have run 310 times in 2007. Aside from the confined space rescue, MVA, and two very minor strucure fires all of them are false alarms. Thats everything in a nutshell... any questions???

JBJ

Sarah Lawrence is not that bad when you compare it to some of other schools in the country. A SUNY Education is $4,350 for a New York State resident regardless of the schools location or prestige.

lets use some of the schools that I am applying to this year to SLC

SLC is $35,090 per year

Muhlenberg College in Allentown PA is $40,880 per year

Lehigh University in Bethleham PA is $46,960 per year

University of Rochester in Rochester is $44,980 per year

Please tell me you are not applying to SLC...I know you are from Bedford, but what have those schools got that you are actually looking for?

SUNY Albany transports as well as SAVAC (Student Assoc. VAC) in Oswego, NY. I also believe that Fordham transports on occasion...

The New York State law has been in place for a few years now, but it was never enforced by SUNY Purchase. SUNY PD would investigate all alarms (local and general) and if the FD was needed they were requested. Prior to October of '06, SUNY PD would respond to over 500 local alarms a year (single head activations). The problem with these local alarms is that they were set up as general (full evacuation and sounding throughout building). Once NYS OFPC got around to checking the amount of general alarms at SUNY compared to the number of FD responses, they recieved a stiff fine for each violation. Since then such names as Alumni Village, The Commons, Visual Arts, Childrens Center, Campus Center North, Campus Center South, PAC, Dining Hall, Fort Awesome, Outback, Far Side, Big Haus, Crossroads, Natural Science, and The Library have all been heard for commercial alarms. Very slowly the college is changing the alarm systems to the proper two head activation from the single head general alarms. The sensitivity of the heads are also something in question. Steam, cigarettes, weed, candles, burnt food and others have been able to activate the heads where other systems wouldnt even detect such nonsense. Something else to throw on the fire is the lack of heat detectors in the buildings. Smoke heads on top of stoves where heat detectors are well within the code. The entire system was never given much attention because the PD would investigate and it never effected the local FD. Currently system and heads are being addressed but as of today we have run 310 times in 2007. Aside from the confined space rescue, MVA, and two very minor strucure fires all of them are false alarms. Thats everything in a nutshell... any questions???

JBJ

Thanks, I think that answered our questions

JBJ

I think that originally the state focused on the unique Purchase response plan because of the Alumni Village (the Commons?) fire two years ago. Someone set a couch on fire, it took campus PD like 5 minutes to have someone walk over, go inside, see smoke, dispatch, etc... it was minor as putting it out and structural damage, but it took something like 2 weeks for people to be able to go back in and get their stuff, and a semester or two for that floor to be cleaned up enough to have people live in it again. And then there was the whole issue of the overhaul and recovery company's employees stealing CD's and going through the girls underwear drawers....

I not applying to SLC

Im going far away...my schools range as small as Wheaton College in Norton MA at 1200 students to as large as Cornell University in Ithaca NY at 30,000

And as far way as Tulane in New Orleans LA to again Wheaton in Norton MA

Where I ever I go I will be either a Biology/ Environmental Science or chemistry major with a definite need for an advanced graduate degree.

I know that where ever I end up going to school I will continue my emergency service training and assistance to my school and community

SUNY Albany transports as well as SAVAC (Student Assoc. VAC) in Oswego, NY. I also believe that Fordham transports on occasion...

A good friend of mine goes to Fordham and has been roomates with one of the EMS officers for a few years now, shes also friends with a lot of the other EMS people. They do transport fairly often with outside EMS coming in when ALS is needed. They also do standbys on campus, transport from some of the bars if needed, and provide transportation back to campus after an ER visit. Last I heard they needed to replace their ambulance, but the school didn't want to spend the cash.

Being from another state is Purchase volunteer or paid? How much personnel? Companies?

I not applying to SLC

Im going far away...my schools range as small as Wheaton College in Norton MA at 1200 students to as large as Cornell University in Ithaca NY at 30,000

And as far way as Tulane in New Orleans LA to again Wheaton in Norton MA

Where I ever I go I will be either a Biology/ Environmental Science or chemistry major with a definite need for an advanced graduate degree.

I know that where ever I end up going to school I will continue my emergency service training and assistance to my school and community

I just hope wherever you go has a spelling and grammar course... :lol: It's OK, you probably go to Fox Lane which explains it all....

I just hope wherever you go has a spelling and grammar course... :lol: It's OK, you probably go to Fox Lane which explains it all....

Going to fox lane would explain it all!!!!!HAHA I had to say it, I'm one of those Greeley Grads.

:lol: Just messin around.

They may not teach you alot at Fox Lane but they do teach you how to get into college...

Im already in SUNY Stonybrook (which does not have a student VAC), SUNY Brockport (which does), University of Vermont (which does not) and Ursinus (im not sure what they have) and I have 11 more schools to hear back from with varying degrees of a VAC

The schools that dont have a VAC have a hospital on campus or a affiliated with hospital near by. Also some schools are right near a hospital but unaffiliated so they have the hospital transport

A good friend of mine goes to Fordham and has been roomates with one of the EMS officers for a few years now, shes also friends with a lot of the other EMS people. They do transport fairly often with outside EMS coming in when ALS is needed. They also do standbys on campus, transport from some of the bars if needed, and provide transportation back to campus after an ER visit. Last I heard they needed to replace their ambulance, but the school didn't want to spend the cash.

I remember a time when they used to send over the probie's to ride along at Empress...there were always a couple of cuties, each semester, never minded having a 3rd...

As for a new bus, they should do a mass-mailing to the alumni association, requesting a 2-5 dollar donation and see where it gets them, I do believe that they get some monies from the campus dues each student pays, if I remember correctly, but those are only provided by rooming students, not commuters/locals!

Being from another state is Purchase volunteer or paid? How much personnel? Companies?

They are Vol.

They are Vol.

Purchase has volunteer firefighters that they employ/pay in roles such as a janitor and secratary on weekdays. When there is a call, they respond to the call. A few years back, the Westchester Career Firefighters held a protest at Purchase FD because of this. Haven't heard much about it since, except they still employ the practice.

Purchase has volunteer firefighters that they employ/pay in roles such as a janitor and secratary on weekdays. When there is a call, they respond to the call. A few years back, the Westchester Career Firefighters held a protest at Purchase FD because of this. Haven't heard much about it since, except they still employ the practice.

What is everyone's opinion of this? More importantly, what is Civil Service's opinion of this? Should it be a new thread or is it opening a much bigger can of worms?

What is everyone's opinion of this? More importantly, what is Civil Service's opinion of this? Should it be a new thread or is it opening a much bigger can of worms?

To keep this thread on topic, Southfire has created a new thread regarding this issue. Please discuss the above issue there, and keep this thread as it relates to the title.